Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visitors - best pub in the area

Options
  • 16-06-2012 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

So I have visitors that have just spent the week in West Cork. Our pubs cannot compare. Where would you recommend for some good Guinness and a late bar hopefully? Not Mrs Robinson type of people. Have been recommended Byrnes in Kilcoole and the one in Willow grove .... there is always Danns but am I correct in thinking they have strict closing? Just looking for a bit of craic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

For Guinness, best pint around is Byrnes in Kilcoole. For a bit of craic with a crowd I suppose Dann's is the better option.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

if you want the best pint of stout you'd have to head up for the roundwood inn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

So I have visitors that have just spent the week in West Cork. Our pubs cannot compare. Where would you recommend for some good Guinness and a late bar hopefully? Not Mrs Robinson type of people. Have been recommended Byrnes in Kilcoole and the one in Willow grove .... there is always Danns but am I correct in thinking they have strict closing? Just looking for a bit of craic.

CC... The Grove does nice Guinness and can be 'late' sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Guinness in the Grove is terrible in my opinion. Seriously, this is the first time I've heard anyone say the Guinness is good there.

It's down to the detergent/dish washing machine I believe leaving a film of detergent on the inside of the glass. Ever notice lots of small bubbles on the inside of a pint glass.

Years ago it had a reputation as having a great pint. No longer. There's a tangy after taste. Yuk.

Good Guinness is either Byrnes in K'coole or Jocks/Kilpedder Inn/Mc Dwyers.

As for a late bar, that's not very common. Best head out a bit earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭.243

FirstIn wrote: »
    Guinness in the Grove is terrible in my opinion
    id have to fully agree with you on this one,the quaility of the pint has gone downhill and i know a good few others have said the same,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Thanks everyone. Big thumbs up to Byrnes. Nice pint, nice pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Mountkennedy Inn, Newtown; great pint, great food, friendly staff, nice surroundings.

Roundwood Inn, Roundwood; as above, very good pub.

Byrne's, Kilcoole; very good pub, no food though, but very good off-licence attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Agree, cant fault the Mount Kennedy in Newtown. Coachhouse and Roundood Inn lovely but far. Horse and Hounds Delgany excellent with PERONI on tap. beach House has much improved. Mrs Robinsons nice but not traditional. Great foir cougars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

FirstIn wrote: »
    Guinness in the Grove is terrible in my opinion. Seriously, this is the first time I've heard anyone say the Guinness is good there.

It's down to the detergent/dish washing machine I believe leaving a film of detergent on the inside of the glass. Ever notice lots of small bubbles on the inside of a pint glass.

Years ago it had a reputation as having a great pint. No longer. There's a tangy after taste. Yuk.

Good Guinness is either Byrnes in K'coole or Jocks/Kilpedder Inn/Mc Dwyers.

As for a late bar, that's not very common. Best head out a bit earlier!

Must of changed then cos it used to be fine Guinness and they always had late drinks a lot at the weekend. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Must of changed then cos it used to be fine Guinness and they always had late drinks a lot at the weekend. :rolleyes:

It sure has changed, when it was owned by Devereux it was great, now owned by Doyles, relatives of the Butcher and DF Doyles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Could be a bit far out but hollands in Bray have craft beer on tap.brewdog etc.finest pint.

Advertisement