Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King recommendations?

Options
  • 16-06-2012 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

I just finished reading Pet Semetary and I really enjoyed it.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what I should read next by King?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

'It' is great.
    The Stand is an epic. Although flawed, it's well worth reading, even at 1400 pages.
    I enjoyed Under The Dome, even though it's fairly two dimensional and the ending is crap.
    The Dark Tower series is not worth the effort, in my opinion, although the 2nd, 3rd and 4th books have a lot going for them.
    Needful Things is worth reading, as is Night Shift - a book of short stories.
    Cujo is utter crap, as is 11 - 22 - 63.
    I would recommend The Dark Half and Misery.
    Insomnia was boring.
    Many of his books,, like Desperation, Rose Madder, The Tommyknockers and Dreamcatcher are enjoyable but forgettable.
    You should definitely read Carrie.

He's a decent storteller, but not a great writer. Almost anything he wrote for the first 20-25 years of his career, up to the mid 90's, will keep you entertained. It gets a lot more hit and miss after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

His Richard bachman collection is worth a read! 3 short (by his standards) stories, and they're not the length of his normal novels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

My favourites are:
    It
    Misery
    The Green Mile (not scary but a great story)
    The Richard Bachman Books
    Night Shift collection of short stories
    Firestarter
    Geralds game
    I've read a lot of his books and many are forgettable but I reckon those above are among the best books I've ever read

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

The Talisman, co-written with Peter Straub, is an excellent book. Just wonder why out hasn't been made into a film yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

11/22/63 is a great book and would make a very good film. Obviously everybody knows about the shining film but the book is a must read. And Full Dark No Stars is very good, full of short stories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Disagee with the above about the Dark Tower series. For me they were epic and brilliant story telling.

But I do enjoy series of books rather than one off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Although I found IT and The Stand to be brilliant, I think his shorter novels and short stories are better- Pet Sematary would be one of my favourites along with The Green Mile and the massively underated "Cell", Id definitly recommend any of theses books:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

The Stand - Brilliant, usually considered his best
    Dreamcatcher - Brilliant
    Bachman Books - Tedious
    Thinner - Very good
    Rose Madder - Very good
    Dark Tower books - ok. Overrated
    Different Seasons - Brilliant
    The Shining - Good
    Under the Dome - ok
    Needful Things - Very good
    Cujo - Bad
    Delores Claibourne - Very good
    The Dark Half - Very good
    Hearts in Atlantis - Very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Extinction

Different Seasons was brilliant, 4 short stories with 'The Body' being my favourite story from King, 'Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption Center' also worth a read even if you've seen the film. The Stand is a classic. The shining scared the crap out of me when I read it. Delores Claibourne and Gerald's Game also fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Can't believe nobody has mentioned Four past midnight, a collection of four short stories/novellas. An excellent read and typical of his earlier stuff.

Other ones I loved:
    The Stand, one of my favourites (though flawed)
    Pet Semetary
    Needful things
    Christine
    I thought insomnia was very good, not boring at all but each to their own :)
    I agree that some like Rose Madder were good but not very memorable
    Thinner (as Richard Bachmann) was fantastic

EDIT: Wot MagicMarker said in the post below me :) Salem's Lot was a good one!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Salem's Lot is fairly decent.

Can't wait for the sequel to The Shining coming out next year called Doctor Sleep. Little Danny Torrance in his 40's.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Only one I ever read was Cujo and thought it was awful.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

salems lot it and the shining were the best,faded of last decade or more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

My favs are
    The Stand - dont think it even reads like a King novel....always feel when reading it that it's by someone else :confused:
    The Bachman Books
    Four Past Midnight
    The Shining

Lost count how many times I've read them by now

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Hoofball

I prefer his older novels although I think that some of his last few have been nearly up to the standard of his stuff from the 70's and 80's.

My top picks would be
    Rage
    Long Walk
    Salems Lot
    Pet Sematary
    The Stand
    IT
    The Green Mile
    Under the Dome (I agree with what a previous poster said, great book but really crap ending).
    11/22/63 - I thought this was one of his best novels in the last 15 years or so.

Any of the short story collections are well worth a read. You might get some dud stories but invariably there are a lot of gems in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jigital

I enjoyed Different Seasons. It's a collection of four novellas, three of which inspired the films The Shawshank Redemption, Apt Pupil and Stand By Me. It is especially interesting to read if you've seen the films, as there are differences. It shows you a different perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Salems Lot ,The Green Mile and The Stand are my favourites by King.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

Dolores Claiborne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭iMMer5ion

I would recommend Misery. Never read anything like it.

• Advertisement

Salem's Lot and The Stand were my favorites until I read the Dark Tower series. The Dark Tower books are not perfect by a longshot but I find them highly entertaining.
    A lot of his new books aren't patch on his earlier work unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The first in The Dark Tower series is awful imo.

i love all his new stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The first in The Dark Tower series is awful imo.

My memory of it is quite hazy. I do remember the second being absolutely incredible, could not put it down.

I'm reading one of his non-fiction books at the moment, Danse Macabre, and I'm really enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

The Stand is just immense. I'm reading it in small bits in order to savour it for as long as possible.

Advertisement