Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can they force me to take a day of annual leave?

Options
  • 16-06-2012 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

Recently my employer has organised a Company Party and we had a choice of RSVP'ing or not. I choose not to as they offered to pay extra to those that choose to work instead. Now they turn around saying that I needed to contact them if I wanted to work, EVEN though I was scheduled to work that day anyway.

I was given a whole of just over 1 weeks notice about this Company Party. Nowhere did it say that I needed to contact them if I choose to work on the email. Now they want to use up one of my days of Annual Leave if I do not attend the party of which I never RSVP'd to... I asked to work that day to my Manager the day the Party was announced.

Can they charge me a day of annual leave if I do not attend, in such short notice... ?

Oh and aparently I cannot 'apply' to work now as I am aparently to late to do so...

Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

They can "force" you to take annual leave at their discretion but I believe they have to give "fair" notice and one week does not appear to be "fair" notice.
    The actual time frame for notice is quite vague and can vary depending on the rostering schedule and the type of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

do you have union representation? if so, follow up this issue, and don't let it lie.
    you can't be forced to go to a social event, and you were ready & able to complete your contracted hours.

btw, was the day's leave fully paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

from citizens information:
    Taking annual leave

It is for your employer to decide when annual leave may be taken, but this is subject to a number of conditions. Your employer must take into account your family responsibilities, opportunities for rest and recreation that are available to you and to consult with you (or your union) at least one month before the leave is to be taken

So yes, they can dictate when you take your leave, but one weeks notice is not sufficient.

Advertisement