Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever nearly accidently killed yourself?

• 16-06-2012 2:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

I was just having an auld gawk at the have you ever saved your own life thread and when I thought about it I haven't despite the fact that I have nearly killed myself a number of times over my life, it's really just pure fecking luck that I am still here.

Anyway heres a few of my tales, when I was small I decided that I wanted something from the loft, it was a sort of second story in our garage that could only be reached by a ladder which was always safely stored away, so I climbed up on my fathers work bench using a chair and then stood on a bucket and then pulled myself up, the next part is a bit blurry but I know that I fell and knocked myself out, I don't know how long I was out for but I woke up with a headache and a small nail sticking into my knee, pulled out the nail and went back inside, I didn't tell anyone for fear of getting in trouble.

I used to keep a few fish tanks, one of which had compartments in the back, where the heater and filters etc were kept, I had a fight with my mother before I went to clean the tank and in my temper, not paying attention to what I was doing, I pulled out the heater and threw it into the main part of the tank, next thing all I heard was a crack. sounded like a gunshot, followed by sizzling and bright flash of light. My mother came running out and when we saw what had happened we both forgot about the argument fairly quickly, the compartment which the heater was in had become blocked and no water was running through, the heater had exploded and the element was exposed. Now when I am cleaning the tank I usually have atleast one hand in the water, I don't know what I didn't that day but feck was I lucky. It was a saltwater tank and amazingly all the fish and invertebrates were okay.

So lads how did ye nearly kill yerselves?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

I fell down the stairs about 5 minutes ago. Was after doin my fake tan and now it's destroyed :( night in for me tomorrow night.I'm more upset about this than the almost killing myself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Decided to stand out in the middle of the road when I was 7 and got knocked down. How was I meant to know cars were dangerous :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

yes. this thread might not be suitable for AH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

el wierdo, usta be sound, then he became a moderator, now he wears a bell on his hat, like noddy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Tried three times,
    Done twice,
    Missed once,
    Next time right. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

el wierdo, usta be sound, then he became a moderator, now he wears a bell on his hat, like noddy.
    Ding-a-ling.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Ding-a-ling.

are you shaun o dowd?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_fSUd_h_Qc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I tried once but the rope snapped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I tried once but the rope snapped

i done that once....... but it hurt so i took it off

i done that once....... but it hurt so i took it off

doube jepordy lads, always wrap the head in the plastic bag before the rope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,299 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Fell off a roof twice

Unhurt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

doube jepordy lads, always wrap the head in the plastic bag before the rope

Prob best to take an OD as well just incase the bag rips, you never know lads :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

When I was about 10 or 11 on holidays in Portugal. I decided to swim across the deep end of the pool and got about half way before I wasn't able to hold myself up anymore. Some foreign lad saved me. Id like to meet that guy again.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

Probably the day I decided to try fix a faulty Christmas light, got a lovely electric shock... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Probably the day I decided to try fix a faulty Christmas light, got a lovely electric shock... :P

AllyMcFearless :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 CopperPipe

Three times. The first time I was very young probably about 4 or 5, decided to stick a spoon in a socket. Can't remember what happened afterwards really. But I remember the spoon was in burnt to bits.

The second time when I was about 6 I took a **** load of my mothers birth control tablets and had to get pumped. No idea why I done that! Lucky I took the birth control though because I remember it crossed my mind to take a glass of water and staples instead!

The third time I was driving a quad and drove it up the side of a ditch. I must of blacked out half way up the ditch but when I came to I was lying perpendicular between the two sets of wheels underneath the quad. Very luck I wasn't crushed!

Electrocuted myself once trying to change a lampshade :rolleyes:
    Ended up in hospital and they reckoned I was only ok because I was standing on a nice soft bed at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Electrocuted myself once

No you didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I should be dead many times over.

Fell of garage roof onto a load of concrete blocks ( not neatly stacked but lying every which way) got a load of stitches in my lower back which is nowbuoy of a mess with scars.

I came off a Raleigh Chopper going down a steep hill at about 30mph, head first into rough tar and chip surface. Tore my upper lip off, broke teeth, broke left arm, tore all skin off right knee and managed to walk the 1.5 miles home somehow.

And lastly, when I was about 7 or 8 we had a battery calcultor that also had a mains inlet. There were no batteries in it and I was desperate to get it working so I figured plugging it in somehow would work. So I got a wire coat hanger and kept bending the hook part till it broke off and straightened it and stuck it into the DC socket on the calculator. I figured I'd try the top hole on the power socket first and turned on the socket, no go so went to try one of the other two. Stuck it in the live and was about to flick the switch when my dad walked into the room and let a roar at me and grabbed the calculator away from me. I thought he was annoyed because I had the calculator and shouldn't have had. It was only years later that he told me I had the wire in the live slot.

No you didn't.

Ok.

• Advertisement

No you didn't.

Ok.
    Electrocution is fatal, if you had electrocuted yourself you wouldn't be able to make that post.

Electrocution is fatal, if you had electrocuted yourself you wouldn't be able to make that post.

Ok :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

Yep.
    When I got back from school one evening, I emptied out my schoolbag and went to place this bad boy up on to my bed. Anyway, I tripped with it in my hand and went face-first onto the side of my bed. When I looked down, the long pointed tip was just poking my stomach.
    If that bed was just a few inches further, Id have impailed myself with a fukcing scribe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I jumped off the top of a hay barn and missed my target, it was approx 20 feet dow and only ended up with a slashed chin, I landed on my feet, dropped to my knees and fell forward, slashing my chin open on a jagged rock. I was 8.

Dived into water, did a u turn and hit my head off the pier wall, nearly knocking myself out. I had to be helped out of the water, aged 14.

Played chicken on my bike going down a hill, i didnt chicken out and hit some other boy and woke up in hospital. The handle bar of the bike caught my eye and my head banged off the curb, knees and elbows cut to shreds, I was 6. (no helmets back then)

I fell off my dads motorbike, i was also aged around 6.

Drank car battery acid aged around 5 or 6, ended up in hospital for that. I went in an ambulance too :)

Burst a blood vessle in my nose, beld for hours and hours with massive blood clots coming out of my nose and mouth, had to go to hospital aged around 6.

I was in the car with my dad and we drove from clare to belfast caught the boat to scotland and scotland was covered in snow we drove for about 2 hours and i put my seatbelt on I never wore the seat belt for the whole journey, within 2 mins of putting the seatbelt on we crashed. I was 15.

There were a few times that i did stuff but they were not by accident.

I still stick a knife/fork in the toaster... I know i shouldnt but there is no other way to get the crumpets out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

He was DYING to show off how he is so much more clever than you when it comes to the semantics of electrocution. He sat there in anticipation waiting for you to respond so he could clarify his needless pedantic comment, and when you responded he almost burst with excitement at the prospect of displaying his mental prowess on the internet.

Also, I stuck my finger in the bulb connection of a lamp with no bulb in it to check if it was plugged in. Got a decent electrocution off that so I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I was driving along the M6 once and I dozed off at the wheel at 120kph. I was very lucky. I only dozed for a second until I hit the noisy strip in the hard shoulder. I pulled the steering wheel to avoid hitting the barrier but lost control a little, swerved the other way across the left lane into the outside lane and flinh all over a little before regaining control. I was well awake and shaking after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

uh huh

/on-topic

I've been hit by a few cars. Usually intentionally, but I've gone through the glass once or twice.

Many years ago my best friend and I spent Christmas night luging down St. Patricks Hill in Cork on our Skateboards. Amazingly we managed to avoid each passing car and not get squished.

He was DYING to show off how he is so much more clever than you when it comes to the semantics of electrocution. He sat there in anticipation waiting for you to respond so he could clarify his needless pedantic comment, and when you responded he almost burst with excitement at the prospect of displaying his mental prowess on the internet.

Also, I stuck my finger in the bulb connection of a lamp with no bulb in it to check if it was plugged in. Got a decent electrocution off that so I did.

I see white knighting is still as prevalent as always in AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Well once it was pissing rain, i was driving, i lost concentration for a wee bit, almost on the other side of the road, made an emergency swerve, the back letgo and instead of stepping on the gas, my survival instinct told me to stamp on the brakes, car ended up doing a 180deg spin. Thankfully there was no one on the road at that point and i didn't manage to hit anything but was close. Since then i keep my eyes on the road all the time n go gentle with the steering n brakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

Your thread's better than mine....:(

Glad to see the topic/theme wasn't the the reason I got battered about by the meanies.

Fair play OP. I'm gracious enough to be happy for you that your thread's better received than mine :)

I almost electrocuted myself in Home-Economics class in school. Myself and my friend were washing up after a baking class and when the bubbles from the washing-up liquid weren't bubbly enough for my liking my friend suggested I whisk the water with the electric whisk that was plugged in nearby :eek:

We were young and with this particular friend we always ended up very giddy when we spent time together, non stop laughing and messing and being silly, which sometimes meant our good sense and intelligence failed us. The teacher saw what I was about to do and yelled at me to stop. On immediate reflection, I was gobsmacked I'd been so stupid. A momentary lapse in my usually present intelligence....what an eejit :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

nearly killed myself driving overtaking on a bend in the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Fuck me,someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Fuck me,someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.
    really?!

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

really?!

Who?

Me. I did. :rolleyes:

Happy now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Everytime I see this post I misread it as

'Have you ever accidently killed yourself?'

/hijack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Jumped into the deep end of a pool at Mosney with a friend who could swim. I couldn't. I remember noticing the ladder while I was thrashing around in a mad panic underwater and luckily grabbing it in time. When I hauled my self up to the top of it, there was a very bored looking spotty teenage "lifeguard" sitting in front of me.

I'm not even sure I follow, are you talking about booze or what? White Lightening?

You contrary little pedant.

I'm not even sure I follow, are you talking about booze or what? White Lightening?

I think he is suggesting that I am a poor fair maiden and you are my white knight on a steed ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Back in secondary school me and my friends were messing around, being the weirdo's we were/(still are? :confused:).
    Well I wont tell you what we were making fun of, but I decided to jump head first out the window (thinking id land on my knees grand and walk away laughing).

But no, my shins clipped the window-sill and I dropped down head first towards the ground.

I landed on my face, with my body vertically up in the air. My legs then proceed to continue falling dragged my body down in turn wrenching my neck back with it too. Eventually I was laying on my back.

I could feel how much force was on my neck and at the time Im surprised I didnt actually break my neck. I only ended up with a muddy face and a nose-bleed. Me and my friends laughed so hard after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Walking up the queys years ago, earphones in, plodding along when I cross the road without looking.

In the middle of the road when I look right.

Cars that had been sitting traffic lights and could see me had taken off as if the start of an F1 race.

Leaped on to the far curb, feeling the car brush my leg.

Feeling :o I made my way to Housten, only after did I realize the ****ing ***** tried to mow me down just because!!!!:mad:

• Advertisement

Walking to a friends house when I was about 12, spot my uncles lorry taken off and decide to jump up on the back to get a lift.

When he got up to about 10 to 20 miles an hour I almost crapped my self and jumped off, dropping, rolling!!

:o

Went cycling with my brothers about 8 to a local quarry.

Went right up to the top and then trying to be cool like them race down the path which curved sharply and ended in a cliff.

Not realizing my front brakes couldn't handle the speed was literally a meter from the edge when my neighbor rugby me and the bike to save my life.

When I was 3, I followed my father out the front door to work.

When I lost him, I figured the best thing to do was to sit down in the middle of the main road of Portlaoise town.

Ok maybe its not such a mysterious why I have panic disorder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Crossed 2 mains phases with my screw driver at work once. (not on purpose).

415 volts shock.

It hurt every part of me, burned my fingers to a scar and I bashed my head from the contraction. My teeth continued to hurt for a month after for some strange reason.

Im lucky to be typing I guess.

gsxr1 wrote: »

Im lucky to be typing I guess.

just aswell you weren't electrocuted eh!?
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

I was trying to put a light over a pool table in my shed so I got a load of cable and ran it from my bedroom to the shed.
    I went back inside and put a plug on one end and then plugged it in.
    Then I went out to the shed to put the light fitting on, touched the live and the neutral together and launched myself across the pool table.
    I'll never forget the pain shooting up my arm. I was 10.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

I crashed a motorbike at about 60mph on a hairpin bend walked away with some nasty bruises , got hit by a car while on a motorbike. fell asleep driving a car on a motorway, walked away with ****ty pants. Drove through 5 stop junctions in a city for the craic in a car without stopping. Numerous electrical shocks- benefits of the job. Puked in my sleep twice while on my own at music festival's. Nearly died from mugging and assault by 5 knackers-week in hospital. Probably should have died overdoing drugs in my 20's a couple of times. Had toxic gas poisoning....:eek: ........I can't believe l'm still here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Doom wrote: »
    I crashed a motorbike at about 60mph on a hairpin bend walked away with some nasty bruises , got hit by a car while on a motorbike. fell asleep driving a car on a motorway, walked away with ****ty pants. Drove through 5 stop junctions in a city for the craic in a car without stopping. Numerous electrical shocks- benefits of the job. Puked in my sleep twice while on my own at music festival's. Nearly died from mugging and assault by 5 knackers-week in hospital. Probably should have died overdoing drugs in my 20's a couple of times. Had toxic gas poisoning....:eek: ........I can't believe l'm still here

Perfect username

Also, just have to say "Drove through 5 stop junctions in a city for the craic in a car without stopping" unbelievably dickish thing to do, you could have killed someone else, never mind yourself.

I think he is suggesting that I am a poor fair maiden and you are my white knight on a steed ;)

Ah yes!!
    Well I've seen your posts, I think you can handle yourself there.

Sure for all he knows I'm a chick.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I was in Lanzarote and I saw a piece of metal sticking out of a plug socket. I thought it was a button. It wasn't. I was standing in a small amount of water and had a damp towel around me. Felt like my heart was going to jump out of my chest. Was kinda awesome.

My OH was in two car crashes. First time the car rolled 3 times, she walked away from it. 2nd time, doing 100mph crashed, took two lamp posts out of it. There was no front or back left on the car. All windows were smashed, the chassis was ripped in two from the force of her hurtling forward with the seatbelt. All she got was a broken collar bone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement