Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever nearly accidently killed yourself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

Electrocution is fatal, if you had electrocuted yourself you wouldn't be able to make that post.

Fúck that shít i've lost count how many times i took a belt its not fatal only tickles now :D

your attitude however one day might prove to be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

sparks24 wrote: »
    Fúck that shít i've lost count how many times i took a belt its not fatal only tickles now :D

your attitude however one day might prove to be...
    same as, get shocked about once a week at work, but not by 415V - that I try v. hard not to mess with. Drove to and back from dublin to Cork twice in one day once, on the last leg home I drifted off coming up to a junction and crossed a busy main road fast asleep - passed between trucks and cars apparently and ended up jammed into the verge. A lad stopped and towed me out and I drove on, wide awake. Not my proudest moment, maybe my luckiest. Having said that, I fell off A 7.5m scaffold walkway, backwards, and my toolbelt caught on a stanchion and held me - one of the other lads had dived across to try and catch me from falling and overshot and fell as well - the two of us ended up hanging by my belt. A third lad pulled us up by my trouser legs - adrenalin is a great thing. Another time I threw a huge lump of concrete off a scaffold onto a pile, it hit a piece of timber which snapped and came back up at warp speed - I put up my arm and it broke my wrist like a match - it would have smashed my skull otherwise..

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Cycled full speed into a stopped tractor, downhill, on a footpath in October. Was out for 10+ mins, when I woke up there was an ambulance crew giving me a glucose shot and loading into a stretcher. Great craic :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭paul4green

One of my friends when we were kids ( 9 or 10) decided to get a "scut" off the back of our local ice cream van.

As it pulled off he was hanging on, the van picked up speed and he comes flying off the back of it, landing on his head.

Hospitalised for 4 weeks, had a neck brace and had to learn to walk again! scary stuff...

Needless to say, he's now a retard( as in an idiot, not mentally retarded) and I'm not friends with him :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Several times, electrocuted myself, drank weed killer, had a 120kph headbutting match with a deer on the dual carriageway while driving a motorbike, adjusting my spotlights with my feet while driving at 100kph at night (some acrobatics involved), stuck my hand in an iron flywheel, put a circular drillbit through my arm etc. etc.

It's amazing I'm still alive actually.

Gneez wrote: »
    electrocuted myself, .

Electrocution is fatal, if you had electrocuted yourself you wouldn't be able to make that post.

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Lies.

:P
    He did and he's dead. He's posting through a keyboard medium - they're like normal mediums but they make a clakkety sound:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Yes. I once tried to carry two roof boxes down a set of stone stair and I fell off when they slipped

• Advertisement

Pottler wrote: »
    He did and he's dead. He's posting through a keyboard medium - they're like normal mediums but they make a clakkety sound:)

Cool :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Cool :cool:

http://ghosthuntingsecrets.com/blog/?p=11

wooowwwwwwwwooooooooo

He may infact be dead and still active on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭SilverKrest

i went to retrieve a football from a shed roof once and didnt see the perspex corrigated roof sheet that lets in day light, i crashed through it but managed to hold on and pull myself back up

• Registered Users Posts: 26 boghopper

When i was 10 or 11 i decided i was going to make a hotel for my cats out of cardboard boxes complete with cut out doors and windows. I decided that this wasn't enough so i found an old dodgy set of Christmas tree lights in the attic. I had made not a bad job of pushing the lights through the tops of the boxes and i switched them on to check out the effect. When i came to near the end of the lights my hands came on some bare pieces of the main wire. Shock was not an understatement, it felt like someone was punching me in the arms neck and chest repeatedly .My hands had tightened up like vices on the wire and i couldn't let go. I tried to scream for my mammy but my voice wouldn't come out . I could see the plug in the wall with the green Christmas tree light wires going into it and i thought to myself I am going to die now. I can remember starting to fall and i think that i must have passed out. When i came around the bare wires where still in my hands but they had burnt into my thumb and the right of my left palm and the left of my right palm. I looked at the plug in the wall and it was still plugged in but the wires where under my feet. I think that when i fell, because there was no wire grip in the plug, my feet caught on the wires and tugged them out. I didn't tell anyone after. First thing i did was i went back downstairs, sat out on the back doorstep and had a bag of Farmer Brown's salt and vinegar Crisps. I was F**king lucky. Didn't try to do anything like that again. Didn't tell my parents cause i thought they would have killed me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Gin77

When I was a 11 or 12yo in the late 80's, we used have to say the rosary every night.
    It was spring time and the novelty of my xmas gifts had worn off, so I was opening the screws to my remote controlled car to make a fan out of the motor as ya do.. Two wires that you found in the car were now connecting the mini motor to a lamp battery and the motor is buzzing mad.
    I did say it was the late 80's and our house was very old.. so old that we still had a 2 pin socket below the sacred heard (used to be all the rage back then). Now being 11yo I hadn't quiet grasped the difference between AC and DC electricity.
    Well during the rosary kneeling on the couch in front of this 2 pin plug I suddenly grasped it... A loud bang and a blinding flash plunging the whole house into darkness. Mammy said the sacred heart saved me although science would say twas the fact I wasn't earthed, luckily our parents afforded us the comfort of kneeling on the couch as oppose to the floor...Times were hard back then.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

paul4green wrote: »
    One of my friends when we were kids ( 9 or 10) decided to get a "scut" off the back of our local ice cream van.

As it pulled off he was hanging on, the van picked up speed and he comes flying off the back of it, landing on his head.

Hospitalised for 4 weeks, had a neck brace and had to learn to walk again! scary stuff...

Needless to say, he's now a retard( as in an idiot, not mentally retarded) and I'm not friends with him :P
    Post fail. We don't care about your friends.....

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Too many times to recall. Thanks to a mixture of good reflexes, the good reflexes of friends and a healthy dose of good luck, I am still about today.
    If my luck holds out I will be for many more years.
    Unless the posters of AH find out where I am that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

In thirty Years from now I nearly kill myself while working on my time machine.

I purchased a second hand Ford sky hopper in order to use its "Torus Anti-Gravity Centrifuge Engine" as a main power source. Basically the dealer said the plasma injectors were the titanium X78 versions but they were in fact the cheaper EuroAsian Empire model the S-X78 made from a cheaper martian made alloy.

While connecting the Injectors I needed to have the plasma core doing its rotations in the hydrogen magnetic chamber in order to ensure the calibrations are done correctly.

To cut an extremely long story short the cheaper injectors meant plasma was escaping and ignited the hydrogen in the magnetic chamber resulting in a huge explosion that coincidentlty sent me back in time to 2001 where I landed on a main road and nearly got run over by a dump truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Don't know if I would have killed myself but when I was 11 I was climbing a tree in Tymon park and I kept going higher and higher until the branches got skinnier and then snap one of them snapped underneath me and I fell,all I remember is hitting the ground back first hard! luckily I fell into a massive amount of mud which I reckon saved me from a broken back:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭narfsnonsense

Took a load of my grandad's "smarties". Fell down a wooden flight of stairs and had my stomach pumped.

Very close to being hit by a truck. The schoolbag went flying out of my hand and landed halfway up the road.

Nearly drowned in a jacuzzi while using the jets to rinse my hair. Didn't think about the pipe underneath sucking in my hair and keeping my head under water.

Jesus, I never really thought about all of them at the one time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Electrocuted myself once trying to change a lampshade :rolleyes:
    Ended up in hospital and they reckoned I was only ok because I was standing on a nice soft bed at the time.

Not at all, even if standing on the ground, you`d of been grand:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

One night while intoxicated, I fainted while sitting on a wall. I proceeded to fall backwards to a drop of over 6ft and landed on my head on concrete and broken glass. Ended up with a few cuts on my head and sore neck muscles.

My friends reckon that if I had fallen while awake, I would have snapped my neck but the fact that I fell like a rag doll saved my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

bogwalrus wrote: »
    In thirty Years from now I nearly kill myself while working on my time machine.

I purchased a second hand Ford sky hopper in order to use its "Torus Anti-Gravity Centrifuge Engine" as a main power source. Basically the dealer said the plasma injectors were the titanium X78 versions but they were in fact the cheaper EuroAsian Empire model the S-X78 made from a cheaper martian made alloy.

While connecting the Injectors I needed to have the plasma core doing its rotations in the hydrogen magnetic chamber in order to ensure the calibrations are done correctly.

To cut an extremely long story short the cheaper injectors meant plasma was escaping and ignited the hydrogen in the magnetic chamber resulting in a huge explosion that coincidentlty sent me back in time to 2001 where I landed on a main road and nearly got run over by a dump truck.

Hate that!:D

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Not at all, even if standing on the ground, you`d of been grand:)

Really? Well that's comforting :)
    I was thrown against the wall and the dudes in the hospital said if I'd been standing on a chair I may have been killed :eek:

That was about 12 years ago. Only changed a lampshade again for the first time last year cos I was too afraid :o :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I remember running out on to the road when younger after a tennis ball and next thing I knew a car had screeched the brakes on and was literally inches from me. I was only 7 or 8 at the time. Think me Ma had been coming out the front door as she saw me leg it out cos next thing I know she was screaming at me while holding back tears. I will never forget the look on her face, anger, relief, tears welling up.

I was one lucky fooker that day, hate to even think what the driver of the car went thru in those few seconds, fair play to him/her, they saved my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

When I way younger I decided to change a plug to fit my radio or something,Anyway plugged it into socket and bang,my arm snapped back and the lights went out in the house,parents nearly killed me ;-)

In kilkenny one time staying on a farm,I decided to climb on top of the barn with the idea of sliding down and stopping myself at the gutter,It doesn't work.Ended up with 3 broken rips after landing on a gate/fence :-(

One time back when I was drunk,Standing on a wall and went head side straight down,through a thorn bush.it broke my fall,I couldent move an inch for about five mins. and I had some long scratches down my face and back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

realies wrote: »
    One time back when I was drunk,Standing on a wall and went head side straight down,through a thorn bush.it broke my fall,I couldent move an inch for about five mins. and I had some long scratches down my face and back.

Reminds me of a Xmas night out (well day out really) about 14 years ago, drinking all day and was in a nightclub. The worse for wear I was swaying a bit back and forwards. Well I went back and there was no stopping me, fell over onto my back and was picked up off the ground. Was only the next day my brother told me that when I fell over I was an inch or two away from banging my head off a marble ledge, that would have done serious damage!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I remember being so drunk i nearly died had to go to a & e and get that charcoal and orange drink had my stomach pumped and everything it was awful,the other guy i was with when i was younger fell asleep in a phone box in the middle of winter he could have died from hypothermia..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

Burst appendics at 4 didn't go too well.

Mauled by a cow protective of her new calf at about 7..sure I was just looking at the baby calf:)

Fell off a quad bike and broke my ass at 23.

When skiing I had a bad fall and someone suggested I hire a helmet as I was really lucky to have not broken my neck the way I fell. I did, and the next day, getting off the ski lift the person beside me stalled and I couldn't move, I didn't duck and got the chairlift in the back of the head. I was flattened and nearly knocked out with the force, lying there trying to figure out why some german dude was looking down at me shouting, I was completely stunned and couldn't hear right for days. It took ages for me to stand without feeling dizzy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Also, I stuck my finger in the bulb connection of a lamp with no bulb in it to check if it was plugged in. Got a decent electrocution off that so I did.
    I've done similar, with one of those lampshades with the push on/off switch bar thingy on either sides (impossible to tell whether they're on on not).

Had some crazy idea that if I only touched one of the metal pins it'd be okay so stuck my finger in. Don't recall much except everything went hazy and the most INTENSE feeling ever*

Tried again a few days later, was sure the switch was off (but still plugged in). It wasn't - after that I wised up and decided to postpone collection of my Darwin award for a couple of years.

*Please don't try this at home kids, do something safer, like drugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shuridunno

OMG,

Just had the closest one ever....

The dog sat on the the TV remote and Fair City came on, as I was overcome with boredom, my heart faltered and I walked towards a bright light.

The dog kept barking, I could hear it louder and louder and then pawing on my chest, and only far that, I'd be gone.

• Advertisement

In the interest of safety, could all AH'ers please now stop using electricity. Obviously it is evil and should be treated as such. I am convering to gas - I'm off down to the basement to connect the gas main pipe to the fuseboard, no more shocks for me. It's dark enough down there but I'll be fine without the damned ESB, I have my trusty Zippo as a light source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Canoe-d for years ; Liffey descent ; all that. Mid 20's , lovely day, heading down the Liffey with a few friends; went over Wrens; last. Got trapped in the Wier at Wrens. unpisedown; Couldn't get out of canoe; couldn't roll, couldn't getbouyancy aid off to go below the tree; breath gone, sucking in water, literally saw the light;banging the " top" of the canoe with one free hand; out of nowhere some passing canoeists came by & upended the canoe. I can still hear them taking; " is there someone in that" ; Jesus there's someone in there.

Thanks lads. You literally saved my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Canoe-d for years ; Liffey descent ; all that. Mid 20's , lovely day, heading down the Liffey with a few friends; went over Wrens; last. Got trapped in the Wier at Wrens. unpisedown; Couldn't get out of canoe; couldn't roll, couldn't getbouyancy aid off to go below the tree; breath gone, sucking in water, literally saw the light;banging the " top" of the canoe with one free hand; out of nowhere some passing canoeists came by & upended the canoe. I can still hear them taking; " is there someone in that" ; Jesus there's someone in there.

Thanks lads. You literally saved my life.

Jesus, scary. Always thought drowning would be a horrid way to go, someone was looking down on you that day. Do u still canoe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Closest was probably when I crashed my bike into a pillar (having come down a steep hill) aged 11 and smashed my head into it. I still don't know if I was knocked out or not, I only remember seeing the pillar, closing my eyes and then being several meters away on the ground with blood everywhere and my younger brother screaming and running towards me. Got away with a couple of stitches in my forehead but my helmet had deep scratches along the front of it - if I hadn't been wearing it, I would have had a fairly huge chunk out of my head - and dangerously close to my temple. It was just before my Confirmation too, lovely photos :P

I've nearly been knocked down a few times too (haven't we all? :pac:) - most recently when a new road was being built between my estate and the Luas station and it was opened one afternoon with no warning, ahead of schedule. Was just about to step out onto the road (which hadn't been operational when I left my house that morning) when a motorbike zoomed past followed by two cars and scared the life out of me. 2 seconds earlier and I'd've been flattened. Surely they should give some warning before opening roads that have lain unused for months?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Walking up the queys years ago, earphones in, plodding along when I cross the road without looking.

In the middle of the road when I look right.

Cars that had been sitting traffic lights and could see me had taken off as if the start of an F1 race.

Leaped on to the far curb, feeling the car brush my leg.

Feeling :o I made my way to Housten, only after did I realize the ****ing ***** tried to mow me down just because!!!!:mad:

Has anyone noticed that Garda cars are real fcukers for this when you're jaywalking? Over the years I've had about three or four - from about 100 metres away - very obviously increase their speed as they approached me. I don't know if they're trying to teach me a "lesson" but I always think it's a bit dickish.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MrSnuffleupagus

Oh Jaysis, here we go

Wandered home in the rain the morning after a house party (in a suit and Hawaiian shirt, no less). Got home and all I wanted was a cup of tea. My housemate informed me that the kettle was broken. "Fair enough" I figured "Fuse might be blown, I'll swap the one in the toaster" (same fuse)
    So I swapped them, and was just putting the back cover back on when the housemate says "why bother? You're just gonna take it out again when you're done"

In my hungover state I thought this was sound advice, so without thinking I put my thumb into the plug and pushed. Got an almighty shock (and I was still dripping wet from the rain).
    The thump I gave my friend for that idea wasn't nearly hard enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

I was on a team trip in America a few years back. Went to bed one night in the hotel and had a bit of an episode. You know when you are sleepwalking, you are fully aware of what you are doing but you are still on another planet. I half woke up and got it into my head that there was a bomb in the room. Sprang off the bed and shouted at the other lad in the room to run. He said he woke up and saw me in mid air heading for the window. I just kept shouting "get out there's a bomb". I pulled open the window and tried to jump out but there was a mesh on the window and I fell back in. Still out of it, I ran over to the wardrobe and kicked in the door and sat on the ground in there when I finally realised that I was being a complete retard.

We were staying on the 5th floor and there was a car park below the window. If the mesh wasn't there then that would have been the end of me. I was completely sober when I went to bed too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Drove a quad off a pier during a snow shower 2 years ago.

25 foot drop into 3 and a half foot of water. Had i not jumped off the quad it woulda landed on top of me and trapped me underneath, if the tide had been another few feet out i woulda ended up fairly broken on the stoney bottom.

ended up grand though only injury was a small burn from the quad on the back of my leg and a massive bruised ego!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Rock climbing: I hit the deck from 40' up.

Last climb of the day i decided to try and lead a big overhang. With little on my rack in the way of micronuts I had climbed above my protection with the intention to get a cam into a big hole under the overhang.

I start fiddling with the cam to get it more secure and 30 secs later I am hanging onto it by two fingers. That didn't last long and I remember the "uh-oh" as my strength gave out in those two fingers. I think I remember falling but also blacked-out. I remember dreaming about falling over and over. I woke up as I was sliding down the side of the scree covered hill, murmuring "don't move me". Sitting up now, my climbing buddy's first words were "Holy ****, look at your helmet!"

(I didn't wear a helmet at the time, but the previous week had been hit by a rock from a scout group on the cliff so when my buddy arrived that week with a carboot full (he'd been teaching a group that week) I grabbed one.)

Taking off my helmet, I could see a two finger sized hole punched through it. I had fallen on my feet and then pitched backwards into a pointy rock full force.

I stood up, bit shaky and could not put a lot of weight on one ankle. A cup of very sweet tea to steady the nerves and then I drove home.

Next day I went to A&E - ankle not broken. They asked me if I hurt anywhere else. i said my neck was stiff; 30 mins later I'm looking an X-Ray of my head and neck and the hairline fracture 3/4 of the way through C6. A potentially quadriplegic fracture.

Lucky twice. Once to not have a hole in my head, second not to be in a wheelchair.

• Advertisement

MadsL wrote: »
    Rock climbing: I hit the deck from 40' up.

Last climb of the day i decided to try and lead a big overhang. With little on my rack in the way of micronuts I had climbed above my protection with the intention to get a cam into a big hole under the overhang.

I start fiddling with the cam to get it more secure and 30 secs later I am hanging onto it by two fingers. That didn't last long and I remember the "uh-oh" as my strength gave out in those two fingers. I think I remember falling but also blacked-out. I remember dreaming about falling over and over. I woke up as I was sliding down the side of the scree covered hill, murmuring "don't move me". Sitting up now, my climbing buddy's first words were "Holy ****, look at your helmet!"

(I didn't wear a helmet at the time, but the previous week had been hit by a rock from a scout group on the cliff so when my buddy arrived that week with a carboot full (he'd been teaching a group that week) I grabbed one.)

Taking off my helmet, I could see a two finger sized hole punched through it. I had fallen on my feet and then pitched backwards into a pointy rock full force.

I stood up, bit shaky and could not put a lot of weight on one ankle. A cup of very sweet tea to steady the nerves and then I drove home.

Next day I went to A&E - ankle not broken. They asked me if I hurt anywhere else. i said my neck was stiff; 30 mins later I'm looking an X-Ray of my head and neck and the hairline fracture 3/4 of the way through C6. A potentially quadriplegic fracture.

Lucky twice. Once to not have a hole in my head, second not to be in a wheelchair.

jesus. remember kids safety first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

I was driving home from work and a car pulled in front of me. I was at the speed limit but driving too fast to stop. Trying to avoid collision, I veered a little to the right. I lost control of my truck and turned it on its side, taking out part of the security fence at a region airport.

See here:Nissie.jpg

I had to climb through the sunroof to get out. Suffered a few bruises on my legs but otherwise no major injuries. I was pissed the driver of the car had the audacity to slow down to observe my situation but then sped off.

When the emergency services arrived one of the officers told me I was lucky the fence was there to "catch" my truck as the tracks and their sudden disappearance indicated it had been airborne. I might have been crushed to death if it had continue to roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

When I was a kid I thought that I'd copy The Turtles and swallow a pizza slice whole.

Woke up on the floor after my dad had pulled it out of my throat. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Really? Well that's comforting :)
    I was thrown against the wall and the dudes in the hospital said if I'd been standing on a chair I may have been killed :eek:

That was about 12 years ago. Only changed a lampshade again for the first time last year cos I was too afraid :o :pac:

A lot of it is a myth, the shock would only have been across the finger or fingers that touched the pins, or across other parts of the hand if the light fitting was metal and properly earthed. People only think they are thrown. Its really the fear and mental shock that causes people to lose balance as well as jump away while losing balance etc. Got some proper severe ones a couple of times myself, from one hand to the other are the proper ones, still dont get thrown anywhere really, not from 230v anyway.

Standing in a pool of water on a concrete floor downstairs and then it does add a new level of danger. But on a stool, or even on the concrete floor in dry runners, and the shock would have only been across the fingertips from Live to Neutral pins, or also across the hand of the light fitting was metal and earthed and other fingers where touching that.

If a person touches just the live pin and nothing else, and had shoes on, or is on a chair, or floor upstairs, no shock would be perceived.

for all the people who are gettin shocked/electrocuted whatever and all those that might in the future can everyone please remember if you ever HAVE to check if a wire or something is live and only have your hand touch the BACK of your hand against the exposed surface.

If you use the palm then your muscles contract and lock on the wire meaning you can't get away. With the back of your hand however you'll be free to shoot 20 ft across the room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Was mowing my garden in London witn a Flymo hover mower and just as I was about finished I lost concentration for a second and ran the mower over the power cable. There was a loud bang and the mower was lifted at least 12" off the ground. Even though I wasn't hurt I was badly shaken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Got knocked down three times, once by my own family.

Nearly fell through a rotten wooden floor in a old house, was lucky that my friend caught my arm. There was a big, rusted fence underneath with them spiked railings.

Nearly fell off a ferry when I was younger, slipped outside and hit the railings but held on.

Flipped my car a couple of months back.

Ate chicken out of supermacs before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

On the way home from work, after the last of four nights with little to no sleep in between.
    Had a 50 mile drive, kept pushing on and on, radio on and windows open.
    Cue strange rumbling noise and vibrations which turned out to be the wheel going in on the grass verge at 60mph which lucky woke me just in time to gain some control and prevent crossing the ditch. Didn't sleep for another two days thinking of the lucky escape and the fact that the rumbling sound could have been a group of kids at a bus stop. Left the job shortly afterwards, best decision ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

I was pushed out of a train one time as it was coming into the platform. The old intercity trains were you could open the door manually at any time. The person who pushed me thought I could run with the train but it was going to fast I fell over. I came close to falling between the train and platform!

Ok, that wasn't me nearly killing myself.

I was nearly run over by the Luas on the day of launch. I was on Abbey st and I stepped in front of it! :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

lived in a real nice apartment in Dublin city about 4 storeys up with 2 of my mates when i was 20/21. one night, myself and one of the mates were locked and decided to stand on the balcony wall and take a piss - ok, not classy, really childish - but we were ok. no chance of us falling etc.

about a week later we were having a bit of a party and someone brought up what we'd done the week before. i decided i'd do it again and ran from the kitchen through the sitting room onto the balcony and at full speed jumped up on the wall. i was running too fast and ended up - for just about a half a second - trying to regain my balance or fall. i regained my balance.

i laughed at the time, as kids do, and thought no more about it for a year. it was only one night as i was lying in bed that i remembered it, and how close i was and it freaked me out.

even now, 12 years later, i sometimes startle myself when it pops into my head. the rank stupidity of it is one of the big things but i remember the feeling distinctly - that imbalance, the feeling it was all just about to end. i'm cringing now just thinking about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Twice and both involved buses.

The first time I was about 14 and I had just gotten off the bus and it drove past I decided it would be a good idea to bang on the window where my friends were sitting but as I put out my hand it kind of dragged me along. Luckily I fell backwards instead of forwards!

The second time I was walking across O'Connell Street and walked in front of a bus, it was literally milliseconds away but I managed to skip back onto the path with the horn blaring in my ears. I still shake thinking about it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement