Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Play an Instrument?

Options
  • 16-06-2012 4:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I was at Download last week and for some reason it occured to me that most metal heads have learned a musicical instrument of some sort before.is a just a metal thing?

Also,at the rockaoke at Download i noticed nearly everyone knew the words to Florence and the Machine,is it just because it's on the radio 24/7 or is it a metal thing,that we all have a small interest in everything and anything?

Do you Play a Musical Instrument? 59 votes

Why yes,yes i do
    0% 0 votes
    No
    86% 51 votes
    No,But I'd like to learn one
    3% 2 votes
    I have no interest in learning an instrument, I just want to Headbang
    10% 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The hairy banjo.
    Bass really :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I do think that Metal heads are more inclined to learn instruments just as a matter of technical interest, this is probably due to how some metal can be quite technical, also how dedicated some fans are listening to their favourite type of music usually leads people to learn an instrument typically affiliated with that genre, and even just wanting to take up the instrument in which their favourite musician plays.

Most fans of pop music, and I mean popular music in general, especially in this country, typically get their musical kicks from just listening to the radio, which provides less of a passageway to what's behind what their listening to. You also find that those of whom were not initially a fan of Metal and so on who then go on to learn an instrument tend to then like or appreciate Metal a bit more, just down to how technical some of it is, I this that's a great testament to the genre. That's my theory anyway, I could go on for quite a while but I'm too tired to expand on my opinion, as of yet. Also: through power of psychic abilities, I can say that the OP is a bass player.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

I'm teaching myself the guitar, been studying guitar music theory and playing on an acoustic, but I've been shopping for a good electric the past couple of weeks.

This is a really good site for anyone interested in learning, and it's free!

http://www.justinguitar.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

I play drums. Due to work and nowhere to play. I havent actually played for around 2years.

Didnt take up drums cause i like metal. Just always wanted to play drums.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Bass is my main thing, but play the harmonica and tin whistle as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Yes, I used to learn classical piano, I really want to take it up again, and play guitar, also learn classical guitar. I find metal is the only genre besides classical which is really challenging and intellectually stimulating to learn. I don't know any Florence and the Machine lyrics, I don't like them at all, I think they're manufactured pretension/posers, their music and style is a direct lift from Kate Bush. I don't take her seriously as a musician or artist, she's basically Lady Gaga except more sophisticated. If we're talking about an indie female solo artist that's any good, St. Vincent is worth a mention, I find there is a lot more going on in her music though the lyrics are terrible, and she can actually play guitar. Are there any good female solo artists in metal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I voted no but would like to learn. I used to play the Tin Whistle when I was younger, I'd say I'd still dig out a tune after a few minutes if I was given one though.

I'd love to play something else too. I have a harmonica in a box somewhere that I never really gave a good shot. I'd love to play the drums but I don't think I've got the timing for it, it's a hell of a lot harder than it looks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Cill94

Teaching myself guitar but I sometimes get impatient at how slow my progression is going!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Took up bass about 2 years ago, mostly teaching myself and using help from online. I'm not particularly good but I enjoy it which is the important right? :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Yes, I play bass and guitar and am (slowly) learning the keyboard. Here is some of my gear, reposted from this post:
    Malice wrote: »
    Here is my extended range arsenal, some have been featured before. From left we have a Peavey Predator, an Ibanez SR706, an Ibanez K7, an Agile Interceptor and an Ibanez K5.

The Interceptor is a new arrival, I bought it last week. Unfortunately a hand injury has meant that I haven't been able to put it through its paces properly.

P1010122.jpg
    I don't know any Florence and the Machine lyrics,
    Me either :).
    is it a metal thing,that we all have a small interest in everything and anything?
    I think it's more down to the simple fact that a metal fan is going to be exposed to pop music on a daily basis without trying to hard (work, television, radio, the pub). Your average pop music fan isn't going to be exposed to metal unless they go looking for it which the vast majority won't do. As a result we're going to be far more familiar with Lady Gaga et al than we'd necessarily like and the pop fan is going to be utterly unfamiliar with the world of metal.

It was nicely summed up by one of the guys at work last week who looked at the Fear Factory t-shirt I was wearing and started talking about the tv show Fear Factor facepalm_smiley.gif.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I've had my guitar the last 2 years, but only got round to start teaching myself the basics about 2 weeks ago. It'll be slow progress, but if I'm having fun, that's all that matters. Eventually I'll be able to play music, with the first song down it'll make me realise I've completed another life goal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I'm primarily a drummer but I can read regular notation and play the recorder well too. :p The thing is though, I love heavy metal but the drumming usually doesn't interest me. Give me some Stewart Copeland or Neil Peart instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Hows the agile Malice? I was tempted by their les paul copies in the past...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Looks like i'm the only one that wants to headbang!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

I took up guitar after seeing a friend play. I haven't really touch it much over the last 4 years due to an injury on my hand. I do miss playing but I was never that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I play guitar, keyboard and harmonica but I'm not very good at any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Malice wrote: »
    Yes, I play bass and guitar and am (slowly) learning the keyboard. Here is some of my gear, reposted from this post:

Me either :).

I think it's more down to the simple fact that a metal fan is going to be exposed to pop music on a daily basis without trying to hard (work, television, radio, the pub). Your average pop music fan isn't going to be exposed to metal unless they go looking for it which the vast majority won't do. As a result we're going to be far more familiar with Lady Gaga et al than we'd necessarily like and the pop fan is going to be utterly unfamiliar with the world of metal.

It was nicely summed up by one of the guys at work last week who looked at the Fear Factory t-shirt I was wearing and started talking about the tv show Fear Factor facepalm_smiley.gif.

Your Ibanez bass looks similar to the one I have. I did read the lyrics to one of their songs, needless to say the less said the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Play guitar myself.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Play guitar myself.
    You have a misleading username

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

You have a misleading username

My name is not steve either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Schism wrote: »
    I'd love to play the drums but I don't think I've got the timing for it, it's a hell of a lot harder than it looks!

Timing is fairly easily taught.

I play drums in a local Cork metal band and played in a few cover bands, mainly for the few quid, but I usually couldn't hack it and bailed after a short period of time.

Here's my rig at the moment, I'm going for the minimalist approach;
    Photo0066.jpg
    Photo0067.jpg
    Photo0065.jpg

And here's my dad's practice kit, a PDP kit bought at a bargain price and there's two dw floor toms on either side;
    Photo0069.jpg
    Photo0068.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I'm wanting to set up my own acoustic kit during the summer and while walking by a music shop last month I saw a glockenspiel in the window for €20 and I think it'd make a nice addition to the kit! Useful for wanting to play The Spirit of Radio eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I have a guitar, but I can play it. I've had it for about two years now but I never find time to learn. Always busy or just forgetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Hows the agile Malice? I was tempted by their les paul copies in the past...
    I had to get the action sorted out since it was causing the strings to rattle. Of course once I got that done I realised that the string gauge that it's set up for is too light so I need to get it done again :mad:. It's a very well balanced guitar, the neck isn't as thin as an Ibanez but it's nowhere near as chunky as a Les Paul. Soundwise the stock pickups have a decent range. While I bought it to belt out Meshuggah I've ended up playing a lot of Guns N' Roses as well since the tuning is the same - half a step down (I just ignore the bottom two strings :))

Your Ibanez bass looks similar to the one I have.
    Which one, the Soundgear or the K5?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm primarily a drummer but I can read regular notation and play the recorder well too. :p The thing is though, I love heavy metal but the drumming usually doesn't interest me. Give me some Stewart Copeland or Neil Peart instead!
    I'm in a similar position w.r.t. the bass, though I'm not much of a Sting Fan. Geddy, on the other hand ... scary stuff. I cut some of my bass teeth learning bits from Power Windows. I also do some basic keyboards, love messing around with synthesisers when I get the chance.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Nailz wrote: »
    I do think that Metal heads are more inclined to learn instruments just as a matter of technical interest, this is probably due to how some metal can be quite technical, also how dedicated some fans are listening to their favourite type of music usually leads people to learn an instrument typically affiliated with that genre, and even just wanting to take up the instrument in which their favourite musician plays.

Good point. It can work the other way too. I picked up guitar at about 12 for that reason, but replace metal with classic rock. I was a year or two later that I only really discovered metal and one of the reasons I loved it was appreciation of its technicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I know a little music theory, and I played violin for a while in school, but that was it. I have a Hohner harp lying in a drawer for years that I'd love to learn to play, but experience would suggest I'm not that musical!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea im similar to you , I play drums and like metal but i dont think i can handle being in a metal band. For me there are very few "metal" drummers who i like to listen to (e.g Roy Mayorga of Stone Sour) but id rather listen to people like Chad Smith(RHCP) , Dom Howard(Muse) and John Fred Young(Black Stone Cherry)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

My babies:

early 80's fender bullet
    25900_380237219865_4658170_n.jpg

Frankengeddy Jazz, from parts.
    13832_177047504865_1744791_n.jpg

OLP Tony Levin 5 string
    7916_139096979865_2001527_n.jpg

Not Pictured: My No.1 a '98 Musicman Stingray 4 I've owned from new.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

Yea I play abit of guitar, Love accoustic.

Advertisement