Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started driving WA.

Options
  • 16-06-2012 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

Hello, any tips on doing this?
    How do I go about changing my license, I have a full Irish.
    How does tax and insurance work and whats the craic with the ozzy NCT?
    cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20393.asp

Here you go fella - have you had the full Irish for at least 3 years?

That was the requirement in Victoria and believe it's the same in WA

All the other details for car ''rego'' is on that website. Car insurance here is optional but your car will need to have 'rego' and a road worthy certificate - saying that, the road worthy varies from state to state.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

i done this a few weeks back (allbeit i still havn't completed the process)
    just walk into the dept of transport, you will need several form of identification, proof of address and such
    so bring in your visa grant letters/emails, passport, 2 pieces of evidence that you are operating in the community i used a bank card and a medicare card for that but you could also use student id police id card proof of age card firearms licence. and evidence of address a bank statement or utility bill or something offical with your name and wa address on it. and your current full irish licence.

they will take a photocopy of your licence and get it checked they may also take your photograph at this stage and if your irish licence checks out they will send you out your new wa licence.

they are very sticky about you providing all that documentation and it is a bit hard to get when you have only just landed but don't go in without it as they will send you away, at least thats what they did to me, i gave the best part of 2 days getting it all together for them and when i went back in all she done was photocopy my licence and told me in a she would ring me the following week when they got it checked and when i said did she want all this other documentation now she said that she wouldn't want it till the had my irish licence confirmed:eek:. but anyhow i have it all for them now whenever i go back to finalise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 crow.bar

Got my WA license a few months ago, same as above but they also made me get a visa label for my passport, I had to go to the department of immigration on Wellington street to get this.
    You car doesn't require a roadworthy cert. in WA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

crow.bar wrote: »
    Got my WA license a few months ago, same as above but they also made me get a visa label for my passport, I had to go to the department of immigration on Wellington street to get this.
    You car doesn't require a roadworthy cert. in WA

Wow, WA seems tough. I made an appointment with Vicroads, filled out a form, showed passport (with no visa stamp) and a utility bill and had 10 year licence in post few days later. Whole thing took about 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

If you on on a WHV or 457 Visa you do not have to transfer it over.Only when you become a perm resident do you have to.

• Advertisement

If you on on a WHV or 457 Visa you do not have to transfer it over.Only when you become a perm resident do you have to.

your full irish licence is only valid for 1yr after entering australia,

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

sponge_bob wrote: »
    your full irish licence is only valid for 1yr after entering australia,

Thats incorrect. It vaild indefinately on a temporary visa, provided it's in date and for the first 3 months if on a permenant visa.

s.c wrote: »
    Thats incorrect. It vaild indefinately on a temporary visa, provided it's in date and for the first 3 months if on a permenant visa.

fair enough then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Thanks lads. Once a car has REGO can I just sit in and drive it once I have my license?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Plug wrote: »
    Thanks lads. Once a car has REGO can I just sit in and drive it once I have my license?

Yes. You might want to take out extra insurance though. Rego only covers third party injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

ellaq wrote: »
    Yes. You might want to take out extra insurance though. Rego only covers third party injuries.
    Got a car last night for $1600, rego'd till the end of August. Im going down to the bank to sort out insurance. Thanks for ye're help.

Advertisement