Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bull beef feed

• 16-06-2012 9:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭

I`m feeding bull yearlings on grass and about 1.5kg of weanlen ration. I ve noticed that they have developed a grass scour from the wet rich grass. They are dosed regularly so I have put it down to the grass and feed. I was wondering if I changed there ration to mainly Barley or Oats based would it help to dry the cattle up or make them worse:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

stick some straw or hay out in the field, with them. Young animals will consume a good bit of straw if offered and it will improve performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

What is the makeup of existing ration. If you were going for an ration on grass I go for 1/3 soya hulls 2/3 barley/maize. I think kerry co-op do a mix like this but you have to contact one of there offices.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

There's probably a lot of molasses in the weanling ration which is there to make it palatable. I reckon the molasses would make them scour.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Changed ration today, looking at the old stuff there seemed to be a lot of dust/fine particle in it. Looks like they changed the mixture from last year and there seemed to be a share of molasses in it and a lot less grain/maize flakes and pea in it :mad:.
    Also moved the cattle to a bare field to see if it helps dry them up
    Thanks for the replies lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

stick some straw or hay out in the field, with them. Young animals will consume a good bit of straw if offered and it will improve performance.

Ah... but will they eat wet hay or straw? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement