Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best FM game?

Options
  • 16-06-2012 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

This might be a stupid question but what is the best FM game? I am going to start playing again soon but the new ones seem to be very complicated and tedious with the press conferences, and Im not too sure about the simulator. I havent played since FM 06

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Frank3142 wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question but what is the best FM game? I am going to start playing again soon but the new ones seem to be very complicated and tedious with the press conferences, and Im not too sure about the simulator. I havent played since FM 06

For me, it's FM10, no real reason I just prefer it. FM12 really annoys me - Steam never lets me log on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Frank3142

And if you buy a second hand one will it not work because the code is already used?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

For me, it's FM10, no real reason I just prefer it. FM12 really annoys me - Steam never lets me log on.

Just a tip, Set Steam to offline mode so it doesn't need an internet connection every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

I'm a fan of FM12, it has its issues but its the first one I really got into in a long time. I know there are users who don't use the 3D match engine but I find it very good(obviously its been around for years now), especially for spotting a weakness in formation.

What year did it move for CD to DVD??

I must try track down a copy of Championship Manager 4, I bought it when it came out but lost it, still have the case.

I downloaded 01/02, thats available for free legal download but not a big fan of it.

One of my favourite games was CM 03/04. It was like CM4 just with the bugs removed, definitely one of the better games.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Yeah CM 01/02 doesn't stand up well at all. People say otherwise but it can only be nostalgia. It just lacks any of the depth that later games had, and the AI is even stupider than it is now.

Great game at the time though.

For me, Football Manager 2007 was awesome for what it was. I routinely have relatively long careers in it, my best was with Ukraine, took them from Euro 2008 qualification to Euro 2016.
    Another one was an epic game as manager of Drogheda, some magical European nights haha, Faz Kuduzovic was my talisman throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

FM07 was undoubtedly the best installment of the game, but I am quite enjoying 12 too, and 11 was not bad either. 09 and 10 were the worst for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

flyswatter wrote: »
    Just a tip, Set Steam to offline mode so it doesn't need an internet connection every time.

Yeah, I do click start in offline mode, it still won't let me play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

FM2005 was my favourite but it was the last one I played.
    I've gotten the bug again and about to get FM2012.

Yeah, I do click start in offline mode, it still won't let me play.

Go into Steam settings and uncheck Don't save account credentials on this computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

FM 07 was my favourite, dual game with Chelsea and Nigeria, got to the Semi's of the World Cup and won the AFCON with Nigeria, and finished 2nd in the league with Chelsea with David Villa (Who the previous manager bought 2 days before I came in :D) and Kevin Doyle (Who I bought) tearing up the league. Would love to go back to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I can't remember which FM/CM it was, but I got into the Champions League with Shels and went on to the second Champions League group (as there used to be two) before getting knocked out. Was great craic.

My finest ever achivement though was FM05, where I brought Barnet from non-league football all the way to the premiership, winning every division in the first season along the way, including a Coca-Cola Cup victory when in the second division and an FA cup final when in the first division.

My first season in the premier league I came second and the following season I won the league, FA cup and Champions League. The message of my performance was that they had erected a statue of me outside the ground.

Most of my players were all academy signings from other clubs and free transfers too, that developed under my management, and the team that won th treble consisted mostly of the same players I had signed whilst in the much lower divisions, no big name signings.

I seem to recall having players like Kasper Schmichael and two really pacey strikers up front, one from the villa academy and one from some other academy. I also had a player named Eagles who wouldn't sign a new contract with me when in division 1 and left on a free to Liverpool. We met in the FA cup final later and I remember having great satisfaction at beating them and our club surpassing Liverpool, who he left us for!! :D Oh memories. Greatest game ever.

I never had big success at international level, I finished second in the African Nations Cup with Nigera, with no recognised goalkeeper of nigerian nationality in the entire game, losing the final to Cameroon 4 - 3, and they had 4 shots on goal.

Also, my last game in 05 I was England boss (I think the same game as when I was Barnet manager) and I won 10 from 10 in qualification group for world cup without conceeding a goal, but game crashed and I'll never know, but pretty sure I was going to win the world cup once it started. Also got Ireland to the semis of the Euro cup in that game too, left the Irish job after to take the English job (after I knocked them out in the Euro cup)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

i loved the Total Club Manager games, that was the one where you could sell ad space in the stadium etc, granted it was all very simple and wasn't any negotiations or anything but it was a nice touch.

After that i'd say FM10 was my favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Pauvre Con

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Yeah CM 01/02 doesn't stand up well at all. People say otherwise but it can only be nostalgia. It just lacks any of the depth that later games had, and the AI is even stupider than it is now.

Great game at the time though.

Well it may have been nostalgia when I recently decided to download 01/02 but to my surprise I actually fell in love with the game again. Admittedly I've only ever played Champman 3 and not the later FM series. I'm experienced enough to play the game on my own terms by which I mean making life as difficult as possible for myself. In other words, attribute masking, non-real life players, managing in a league with a low reputation and little money and taking charge and sticking with a very small club. I appreciate this wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea but it works for me. I enjoy the limitations that mean having to buy other club's cast-offs, hoping my scouts can unearth some brilliant youth, getting the best out of less than great players and pitting all of them against some much bigger clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I'm a noob compared to most people here, FM08 was my first venture into the series(the last before the 3D match engine). Out of the 5 games I've played, FM12 is my favourite so far(apart from Steam and ignoring nostalgia of previous games), but I think that the game has been constantly improving since I've started playing it. The 3D match engine is more than bearable now, while agents and dodgy journalists add a frustrating sense of reality.
    I also think that they have become progressively more difficult to succeed in, I found 08 and 09 very easy, particularly because promising players would discuss contracts with low reputation clubs. In the latest editions, the inflated fees and wages combined with more unpredictable results make it hard to dominate leagues(I don't think I've had an unbeaten season in FM12, even with the likes of Barcelona and Man Utd).

First game I played was 01/02. But not much cos I didn't own it. The first game I played seriously was CM4.

I can imagine it's missing a lot of depth compared to todays games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I like CM 01/02 because it's the least time consuming, you can finish a season in a day or two, a lot of the new games have functions I don't even use that take up a lot of time loading and a lot of space on the PC. CM 01/02 for me is the the most easy to to use as well. I'm thinking of getting FM 12 just for a change though.

Advertisement