Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Doesn't Defy Death Over Niagara Falls

• 16-06-2012 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/16/nik-wallenda-niagara-tightrope-succeeds

Why is no one calling Emperor's New Clothes on this one ?

Man walking a tight rope across the Niagara Falls and not falling to his death would be an impressive feat. But man walking a tight rope across Niagara Falls with a safety harness so that he is at no risk of falling to his death is just cheating and defeating the point. Not really impressive at all.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah
    its like how formula 1 drivers wear seatbelts and helmets, ****ing pussies

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Off you go so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I think any of that stuff is crazy. A great TED talk on something like this for instance:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kevinkmb36

i heard on the news that he didnt want to wear a harness but wouldnt be allowed do it without it..his mam was saying that it would make it much harder to get balance with it etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Poor Man's on Wire ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

youd have potentially 250m viewers suing for ptsd if he fell

Alain robert has to use safety occasionally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Almaviva wrote: »
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jun/16/nik-wallenda-niagara-tightrope-succeeds

Man walking a tight rope across the Niagara Falls and not falling to his death would be an impressive feat. But man walking a tight rope across Niagara Falls with a safety harness so that he is at no risk of falling to his death is just cheating and defeating the point. Not really impressive at all.

So you're giving out even though he succeeded:eek:
    Harness or not it's still a very impressive feat, the fact that he didn't fall with the harness would make one think that he wouldn't fall without one:rolleyes:
    Love to see you try it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

A tethered Wallenda accomplished the feat on Friday night, saying he got through by "a lot of praying.

Lol. If the praying works then why use a harness?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

The guys father died tightrope walking y'know..just sayin..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd give it a go if I could wear the harness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I'd give it a go if I could wear the harness.

Yep so would thousands of others. Doing it with the harness totally defeats the purpose. He may as well be suspended a couple of metres above a car park instead of dragging all those people out to a waterfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

yeah
    its like how formula 1 drivers wear seatbelts and helmets, ****ing pussies

thas retarded, f1 drivers are at a consant threat of life or death, this dude was never in that situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Generalissimo

A 2" wire and a harness so there's no risk? A skillful effort no doubt but it's nothing worth getting too excited about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ManTheSam

stimpson wrote: »
    Lol. If the praying works then why use a harness?

He was told to or it wouldn't be televised..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

darokane wrote: »
    So you're giving out even though he succeeded:eek:

No. Giving out because he didnt even try, let alone succeed. Yet getting publicity and being lauded as if he did succeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The tether was insisted by the tv networks. If he did fall, they would have 5 mins max to get him out of that safety harness or he would be dead.

I think its still a great achievement to do what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Sooooo which part is the more interesting...
    Showing he has the ability to concentrate on walking along a long cable using a pole for balance and a harness for safety and not being distracted by the raging torrent below with a minimal risk of death in the event of him slipping, or...
    Watching with the knowledge that one tiny mistake or a strong gust of wind and he is going to die, but you would prefer him to do it that way as it appears more daring.
    Depending on your preference says a lot about your psychological make up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

He didn't even kill himself to death ffs..Where's the entertainment ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I doubt anyone here would be able to get even halfway over, harness or no harness. And I include myself in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Cianos wrote: »
    Yep so would thousands of others. Doing it with the harness totally defeats the purpose. He may as well be suspended a couple of metres above a car park instead of dragging all those people out to a waterfall.

Not really. You have some serious winds whipping around there, you also have a lot of mist from the falls settling on the line and making it slippy.

It's a combination of act + environment that makes difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

so that he is at no risk of falling to his death is just cheating and defeating the point. Not really impressive at all.

You can find enough death and gore on internet websites to keep you busy - you don't need to look for it in a feat of derring do.
    Not really. You have some serious winds whipping around there, you also have a lot of mist from the falls settling on the line and making it slippy.

It's a combination of act + environment that makes difficulty.

Plus the noise from the waterfall is deafening and would be very distracting.
    Cianos wrote: »
    He may as well be suspended a couple of metres above a car park instead of dragging all those people out to a waterfall.

He didn't drag them out there - they went of their own free will to see something they thought was exciting enough to make the effort to go. Obviously not as jaded as you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Well done to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

You having a laugh? Not many people could do that. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

at least he's doing SOMETHING ,

what are you doing ?

sitting on your fat hole moaning about someone doing something

thats what
    :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Dempsey wrote: »
    The tether was insisted by the tv networks. If he did fall, they would have 5 mins max to get him out of that safety harness or he would be dead.

Wha ?

This makes no sense. How would he die by being suspended in the harness. Death by wedgie ? Was it a harness with an inbuilt self destruct mechanism ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Oh get a grip will ya, he still done it, I'd like to see you do it. No but if you wore a safety devise you'd be all like, that was so scary and beef it up all the more.

Wha ?

This makes no sense. How would he die by being suspended in the harness. Death by wedgie ? Was it a harness with an inbuilt self destruct mechanism ?

Suspension Trauma

If you ever had to use a harness, you would be warned about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I think any of that stuff is crazy. A great TED talk on something like this for instance:

Is it just me i this TED stuff just a load of self indulgent **** for wealthy right-on americans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Everything is shit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Bambi wrote: »
    Is it just me i this TED stuff just a load of self indulgent **** for wealthy right-on americans?
    There are some poor TED talks. Though I'd say that isn't one of them. And I wouldn't really say the latter bit of your post is accurate at all. Have you seen many TED Talks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

alphabeat wrote: »
    at least he's doing SOMETHING ,

what are you doing ?

sitting on your fat hole moaning about someone doing something

thats what
    :pac::pac:
    well said !!!!!!!!! Begrudgery: A peculiar disease of the Irish which seemingly renders them unable to to feel good about the success of other fellows :pac::pac::pac:

Suspension Trauma

Where does it say 5 mins ?
    It says a period of time. As in hours, maybe days.

If it were 5 minutes, nobody would survive abseiling, bungee jumping, parachuting, hangliding, etc

Aside from that he could quite easily have used his hands to propell himself along the wire to safety

Your post was ridiculous

Where does it say 5 mins ?
    It says a period of time. As in hours, maybe days.

If it were 5 minutes, nobody would survive abseiling, bungee jumping, parachuting, hangliding, etc

Your post was ridiculous

http://www.mountaineer-sports.com/Suspension-Trauma_ep_41.html
    But if you fall and are unable to recover to a standing position, you can die in as little as 5 to 30 minutes.

http://www.fallsafety.com/news.cfm?ID=112
    The article stated that suspension over 5 minutes in a safety harness can cause death

Tell me again how ridiculous my post was? Please! :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

He didn't even kill himself to death ffs..

Now if he killed himself to life I'd pay to watch it !

Suspension Trauma

I'll tell you exactly how ridiculous your post is:

a) A website selling special safety harnesse does not count as evidence.

b) A 2011 systematic review in Emergency Medicine Journal found
    No data on the incidence of harness suspension syncope were found. Presyncopal symptoms or syncope are thought to occur with motionless suspension as a consequence of orthostasis leading to hypotension. There was no evidence of any other pathology, despite this being hypothesised by others.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20961926

c) For the suspension shock to occur you have to be suspended vertically so blood pools in your legs. If he had fallen he would have been suspended horizontally as he was tethered at his waist.

Therefore, he was never at risk of suspension shock.

d) If he did fall could use his hands and legs to traverse the rope or get back on top of it.

QED - 4 completely different ways in which your post is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

And they also said that they need to do more research and the current guidelines should be followed.

I must correct some people with your sterling research!

And they also said that they need to do more research and the current guidelines should be followed.

I must correct some people with your sterling research!

Context is probably relevant. If it was a 60 year old who smoked 40 a day and had a heart condition they probably would have a very different tolerance that a 33 year old professional daredevil :D

Also - better to read the whole paper we only looka t the abstract but its not free so what ya gonna do ?

Context is probably relevant. If it was a 60 year old who smoked 40 a day and had a heart condition they probably would have a very different tolerance that a 33 year old professional daredevil :D

Also - better to read the whole paper we only looka t the abstract but its not free so what ya gonna do ?

The professional daredevil could easily have an serious undetected health condition that could be aggravated by suspension trauma.

I was trained to believe that leaving someone dangling after a fall for more than 5 minutes can cause serious injury/death. I know people that use safety harnesses all the time and they got similar training. I dont need to read that abstract.

The professional daredevil could easily have an serious undetected health condition that could be aggravated by suspension trauma.

I was trained to believe that leaving someone dangling after a fall for more than 5 minutes can cause serious injury/death. I know people that use safety harnesses all the time and they got similar training. I dont need to read that abstract.

Well you ignore evidence. Interesting.

Explain to me this - how do people survive parachuting, hanglding, abseiling ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I watched it last night hoping to see someone die. When I saw that he was tethered I was very disappointed. I was hoping someone would shoot him or perhaps stab him when he got to the other side. None of that happened. He kept praying all the way across, talking to Jesus and suchlike. All I was thinking was 'I wish that tether wasn't there. I hope he dies.' Gutted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Well you ignore evidence. Interesting.

Explain to me this - how do people survive parachuting, hanglding, abseiling ???

The page he linked to states that people who do that are also at risk.

People don't do these things without proper training, and newbs who are doing it with a company all sign wavers for a reason.

He didn't say it was a death sentence.
    I watched it last night hoping to see someone die. When I saw that he was tethered I was very disappointed. I was hoping someone would shoot him or perhaps stab him when he got to the other side. None of that happened. He kept praying all the way across, talking to Jesus and suchlike. All I was thinking was 'I wish that tether wasn't there. I hope he dies.' Gutted.

If you want to watch someone die on TV then watch The Late Late Show. Tubbers guests die before your eyes every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I think this man may speak some truth , I used harnesses before and was always told leaving anyone suspended for between five and fifteen minutes can result in loss of limbs/death from blood supply being restricted.

Either way I wouldn,t like to find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

that was a boring video to try and watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Bambi wrote: »

Can we not have one little shining bright light of optimism in the sea of pessimism and cynicism that is the internet?

The page he linked to states that people who do that are also at risk.

People don't do these things without proper training, and newbs who are doing it with a company all sign wavers for a reason.

The site he linked to wants to sell them harnesses too. You people really don't seem to get how this marketing thing works do you ?

You sign a waiver in case the harness doesn't hold you and you splat into the ground and die.

Find me one example of someone doing any of any of those sports, nothing going wrong and them dieing from a suspension trauma.

He didn't say it was a death sentence.

Yeah, he did:
    Dempsey wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

Philippe Petit walked between the Twin Towers without a safety harness. Back and forth for 45 minutes before he was arrested. http://greenobles.com/philippe-petit.html that's death defying.

You sign a waiver in case the harness doesn't hold you and you splat into the ground and die.

Different story for people that work wearing safety harnesses all day long.

Ok.
    Not really sure what your point is tbh

Ok.
    Not really sure what your point is tbh

You were getting very pedantic about my comment, I'm giving you the same courtesy. You seem to have gone from ignorant to an expert in suspension trauma and safety harnesses in a very short space of time! Congrats :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

"In a 2006 article on the Crucifixion of Jesus, Phillip Bishop and physiologist Brian Church suggest that suspension trauma is a cause of death in crucifixion."

Coincidence?

• Advertisement
Advertisement