Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Doesn't Defy Death Over Niagara Falls

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The site he linked to wants to sell them harnesses too. You people really don't seem to get how this marketing thing works do you ?

Hmmmm...the link I saw was to wikipedia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Dempsey wrote: »
    You were getting very pedantic about my comment, I'm giving you the same courtesy. You seem to have gone from ignorant to an expert in suspension trauma and safety harnesses in a very short space of time! Congrats :pac:

Ignorant ? Where you getting that from ? You maybe got things backward. I'm the one linking to scientific articles here, not wikipedia and online shops.
    Hmmmm...the link I saw was to wikipedia?

Seek and you shall find: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79239708&postcount=34

Sorry I thought you were referring to that one.

I've linked to a proper science article if you look - a systematic review that found no evidence of this condition other than people feeling a bit dizzy. No death.

You've ignored the bit where Dempsey said he would be dead in 5 minutes.

That was, and remains, a ridiculous statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ignorant ? Where you getting that from ? You maybe got things backward. I'm the one linking to scientific articles here, not wikipedia and online shops.

I linked those quickly to show you the timeframe for it to become life threatening. The times given by those biast shops is based on scientific evidence. Training for using a harness and what to when someone has a fall in a safety harness is based on this aswell. You didnt have a clue before this thread and it seems that you still dont because you googled an article!

Ah what am I thinking, you're now the expert it seems, well done! :rolleyes:

I linked those quickly to show you the timeframe for it to become life threatening. The times given by those biast shops is based on scientific evidence. Training for using a harness and what to when someone has a fall in a safety harness is based on this aswell. You didnt have a clue before this thread and it seems that you still dont because you googled an article!

Ah what am I thinking, you're now the expert it seems, well done! :rolleyes:

By all means, post the scientific evidence of which you speak

You are the one making extraordinary claims - the onus is on you to dop the googling. I provided evidence already to back up my point of view.

Neither of those documents are scientific. Neither states its rational for selected cases to cite - inclusion criteria. They have both obviously cherry picked evidence - none consider flaws of the cited case reports at all - they have only cited papers that back up their point of view - a form of bias. Neither do they postulate that these people might have feinted for other reasons - i.e. fright, just being feinters, pain from the straps digging in, panic - all reasons people feint. Nor do they consider that these people had underlying medical conditions.

Neither does either paper cite any case where somebody died in 5 mins as you have claimed would have happened the tight rope walker.
    They are not scientific documents.

On the contrary the paper I cited is a properly conducted systematic review - i.e. the had clear criteria for what they included and didn't include. i.e. it was scientific. They didn't find evidence for what you claim.

Your claim remains ridiculous.

You are the one making extraordinary claims - the onus is on you to dop the googling. I provided evidence already to back up my point of view.

Neither of those documents are scientific. Neither states its rational for selected cases to cite - inclusion criteria. They have both obviously cherry picked evidence - none consider flaws of the cited case reports at all - they have only cited papers that back up their point of view - a form of bias. Neither do they postulate that these people might have feinted for other reasons - i.e. fright, just being feinters.

Neither does either paper cite any case where somebody died in 5 mins as you have claimed would have happened the tight rope walker.

On the contrary the paper I cited is a properly conducted systematic review - i.e. the had clear criteria for what they included and didn't include. i.e. it was scientific. They didn't find evidence for what you claim.

Your position remains ridiculous.

All them safety harness courses must be wrong and you are right :rolleyes:

EDIT

To quote your "scientific evidence" again
    In any case of harness suspension, the standard UK first aid guidance for recovery of a semiconscious or unconscious person in a horizontal position should be followed. Other recommendations included areas for further research and proposals for standard data collection on falls into rope protection.

EDIT

To quote your "scientific evidence" again

So ? That doesn't change the fact that guy won't die in 5 minutes.
    Why the quotes ?
    Do you doubt its scientific evidence ? It was published in a peer reviewed journal and is listed on a science database.
    Ah what am I thinking, you're now the expert it seems, well done! rolleyes.gif

I never claimed any expertise.
    I'm just some guy with an opinion

A person can die in 5 minutes, so you must act like its the worst case scenario everytime. There is plenty of evidence to support this if you are bothered to google it but you're only interested in material that supports your initial opinion, before you knew anything about this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement