Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IEWTO (Any experience of this club)

• 16-06-2012 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Has anyone any experience of IEWTO? Are they any good?They teach "Newman Escrima". Anyone know anything about this type of escrima. How about the Wing Tsun they teach? Any good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If you're interested then going down and checking it out would be the obvious course of action :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Long Legged Mack Daddy

Bambi wrote: »
    If you're interested then going down and checking it out would be the obvious course of action :confused:

One person's "obvious course of action" and another's can be two very different things. Of course going down there and checking them is a good idea but you cannot always get the measure of a MA club in one visit or even several. I figured it would be no harm to see if there are people out there with experience of them and what their thoughts are on the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

@Bambi this is an internet discussion forum, this is where folk come to ask questions and learn about these things. Be nice to the new gentleman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

Has anyone any experience of IEWTO? Are they any good?They teach "Newman Escrima". Anyone know anything about this type of escrima. How about the Wing Tsun they teach? Any good?

Its not a club, its a association. i believe it has 5 or 6 clubs around Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Michael O Leary

Hi,

My name is Michael and I run the Blanchardstown Wing Tsun school which is one of the five Wing Tsun schools that make up the Irish Wing Tsun Organisation or IEWTO. The IEWTO is a branch of the European Wing Tsun Organisation (EWTO) which itself is a branch of the International Wing Tsun Association (IWTA). I know that as a representative of the IEWTO my comments are biased but I was not always with them and actualy made the decision to leave another organisation and join the IEWTO. So you might find some of these reasons interesting given your question.

The first thing that I felt was that the Wing Tsun in the IEWTO was of a much higher standard. The techniques themselves were pretty much the same or simiilar however the body mechanics were much more refined so that the techniques require much less physical effort.

Another thing I found was that Wing Tsun/Chun has a variety of inter-related techniques, principles, mottos, drills, etc. The way Wing Tsun is taught in the IEWTO, you can see the relationship between the various elements and therefore can see the bigger picture. The various elements are put in context and the techniques and drills are based upon the principles.

I also found the student syllabus good in that it provides a structure for the various elements to be taught. This is important as more advanced drills are superimposed upon a firm understanding of more basic ones and this is reflected in the syllabus.

Something else which is frequently overlooked or taken for granted is that we have national seminars three times a year, every year. We can plan our own training and the path for students to grade and develop is clear. We have instructor seminars on a Saturday, student seminars on a Sunday and some of us take private lessons on a Monday. We have twice weekly instructor classes so no-one stops learning. This leads on to a very important point. The main emphasis for instructors is contineous learning. For example, Henry Corrigan, the instructor for the Wexford school was in class with me yesterday as he is every week. He teaches in Wexford during the week but is committed to his own training. Then while I teach instructors as well as students, I take lessons from my Sifu on a regular basis. Then my Sifu, who has been learning Wing Tsun for the past 35 years, still takes lessons from his Sifu.

Finally, I feel that it is a friendly organisation. Everyone is treated with respect and this was one of the deciding factors for me. No-one plays the big man and the organisation is not personality driven.

I hope this helps. I have been in the organisation since 2002 having started Wing Tsun in 1993. And while I feel that it is a good organisation and has a lot to offer students, I also respect students and instructors in other Wing Tsun/Chun organisation in Ireland.

Regards,

Michael
    www.wingtsun.ie

• Advertisement

OLDMAN1 wrote: »
    Its not a club, its a association. i believe it has 5 or 6 clubs around Ireland.

How very clever of you to point out this discrepancy. I feel quite silly now when confronted with your obviously superior intelligence and attention to detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

How very clever of you to point out this discrepancy. I feel quite silly now when confronted with your obviously superior intelligence and attention to detail.

sorry you feel silly, i wasn't trying to be clever, was just giving you some information, i won't bother in future..

OLDMAN1 wrote: »
    sorry you feel silly, i wasn't trying to be clever, was just giving you some information, i won't bother in future..

Ok. Sorry about that. I misinterpreted your intentions. I thought that, like an earlier poster,you were being a bit of a smart arse. Appollogies.

Advertisement