Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of immersion water heater?

Options
  • 16-06-2012 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this is in the wrong place but can't see where else to put it. Anyway, I've just moved into a rented house in Dublin after living in London for the past 4 years. Every flat I rented there had a boiler that heated up the water on demand so there was always hot water which was great.

My new place though has an immersion which needs to be switched on to heat the water. There isn't a timer switch. Was just wondering how expensive this is if it was just left on all the time? I remember my Dad complaining about the immersion being left on when I was a kid and how it would cost a fortune so I'm a bit wary of doing this!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I'm sure this is in the wrong place but can't see where else to put it. Anyway, I've just moved into a rented house in Dublin after living in London for the past 4 years. Every flat I rented there had a boiler that heated up the water on demand so there was always hot water which was great.

My new place though has an immersion which needs to be switched on to heat the water. There isn't a timer switch. Was just wondering how expensive this is if it was just left on all the time? I remember my Dad complaining about the immersion being left on when I was a kid and how it would cost a fortune so I'm a bit wary of doing this!

Did the boilers in London use gas or electricity?

Immersions typically use either 3kw, or 2kw depending on if sink or bath is selected. A unit of electricity is 16c, so one hour on bath would cost 50c at peak time (ignoring that the immersion will cut off once it reaches peak temperature). Most run at off peak for the morning shower(s) and then a boost in the afternoon for hot water after coming home.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

ceadaoin. wrote: »

A couple of months of it being left on, would pay for an electrician to wire in a timer switch -
    mike f

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You are supposed to switch it off after say 40 mins, an hour, get a timer unit ,with a boost button, this turns it on for a time ,eg 1hour ,then turns it off.
    timer unit, sost 35 euro approx, can be set to come on in the morning ,say 7 to 8am, in order to have hot water ready for shower or bath.
    The ones with led ,time display, are a lot easier to use.
    see
    http://www.e-tradecounter.co.uk/p-362-immersion-heater-time-switch-and-boost-controller.aspx?variant=4729&utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=feedmanager

http://www.shopzilla.co.uk/immersion-heater-timers/sh

The one s with led panel are much easier to
    use,but twice the price .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

the problem is if you forget to switch off immersion ,for a day or 2 ,you,ll get a large esb bill.
    if you go to electric wholesalers,shop,buy a timer, an electrician will fit it in ten minutes.WILL charge you maybe 40 euro.
    see northside people, ads ,tradesmen,electrical.
    Theres one on the quays, on the left, as you go towards temple bar,near the hapenny bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

In England we had an electric meter so it was easy to test the on or off theory and it was actually cheaper to leave the immersion on so its not always a case of switching it off if unneeded. You need to try out both by taking a reading and then putting it on for a couple of days, take another reading and turn it off then compare the 2.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

piperh wrote: »
    In England we had an electric meter so it was easy to test the on or off theory and it was actually cheaper to leave the immersion on so its not always a case of switching it off if unneeded. You need to try out both by taking a reading and then putting it on for a couple of days, take another reading and turn it off then compare the 2.

This is probably applicable to a certain rate / amount of electricity - and night time rate or something.
    You need to approach your supplier and figure out what is best - but it all depends on the cylinder - (insulated or not) if not the immersion will switch in more often when the tank thermostat calls it up.
    I'd go with the timer & still call the electricity supplier to get a good rate / etc.
    mike f

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Is the hot water tank insulated this will be a major factor in determining a rough cost of leaving it on all the time.

If its well insulated and pipework around its insualted, then once initally heated it could potentially keep that water hot for a 24hrs with only a short intermittent use of the immersion depending on usage obviously

Advertisement