Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Priests furious at inspection into 'gay-friendly' Irish college

• 16-06-2012 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/priests-furious-at-inspection-into-gayfriendly-irish-college-3139991.html
    A GROUP representing more than 800 priests last night reacted with anger to a highly critical Vatican inspection of the Irish College in Rome.The report, by the Archbishop of New York, Cardinal Timothy Dolan, has called for substantial reform at the institution which educates students for the priesthood.It expressed concern about the staffing, as well as the atmosphere and philosophy of the college.Cardinal Dolan found that the college "suffers from the reputation of being gay friendly, however unjust such a reputation might be".The report criticises Ireland's four Catholic archbishops -- the trustees of the college -- and alleges that staff were critical of any emphasis on the teaching authority of the church.
    The archbishops issued a statement saying they were presented with an initial Vatican report which contained "some serious errors of fact". They refused to elaborate.However, the Association of Catholic Priests (ACP) last night said the report had "effectively destroyed" the reputation of the four priests involved with the college."It is unacceptable that a report to the Pope, on a sensitive issue, should be conducted in such an incompetent fashion," the group said. "No court of law would treat people in such a way."The report was carried out by Cardinal Dolan as part of the apostolic visitation into some dioceses, seminaries and religious institutions last year.It criticised the four archbishops -- Cardinal Sean Brady, Archbishop Diarmuid Martin, Archbishop Michael Neary and Archbishop Dermot Clifford.It is alleged that they were disengaged from college governance, with irregular meetings, minutes and agenda.
    Last night, Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore welcomed the Papal Legate Cardinal Mark Ouellet, Cardinal Brady and Archbishop Martin to a reception in Dublin Castle -- but there was no comment on the report. The report also reportedly recommended a change in the staff.
    The ACP called on the bishops "to publicly repudiate this report in the strongest possible terms and to support the priests".
    "Cardinal Dolan's report not only undermines the reputation of priests who have not been given a right of reply, it also undermines the credibility of the whole visitation process," the ACP said.
    "It would appear that, in undertaking this particular visitation, conclusions were effectively drawn beforehand and then evidence to support them was actively sought."The Archdiocese of New York said Cardinal Dolan was not available for comment.
    This report is so unfair

What is gay about a bunch of single men with no interest in woman living in a big house and dressing up in long flowing gouns?

Just besause the top boy in the house likes to wear loads of jewerly and likes the other boys to tell him all their secrets and whisper examples in his ear so he can made them do punishments is not gay no way Jose no way...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

A GROUP representing more than 800 priests last night reacted with anger to a highly critical Vatican inspection of the Irish College in Rome.The report, by the Archbishop of New York, Cardinal Timothy Dolan, has called for substantial reform at the institution which educates students for the priesthood.It expressed concern about the staffing, as well as the atmosphere and philosophy of the college.Cardinal Dolan found that the college "suffers from the reputation of being gay friendly, however unjust such a reputation might be".The report criticises Ireland's four Catholic archbishops -- the trustees of the college -- and alleges that staff were critical of any emphasis on the teaching authority of the church.

The archbishops issued a statement saying they were presented with an initial Vatican report which contained "some serious errors of fact". They refused to elaborate.However, the Association of Catholic Priests (ACP) last night said the report had "effectively destroyed" the reputation of the four priests involved with the college."It is unacceptable that a report to the Pope, on a sensitive issue, should be conducted in such an incompetent fashion," the group said. "No court of law would treat people in such a way."The report was carried out by Cardinal Dolan as part of the apostolic visitation into some dioceses, seminaries and religious institutions last year.It criticised the four archbishops -- Cardinal Sean Brady, Archbishop Diarmuid Martin, Archbishop Michael Neary and Archbishop Dermot Clifford.It is alleged that they were disengaged from college governance, with irregular meetings, minutes and agenda.

Last night, Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore welcomed the Papal Legate Cardinal Mark Ouellet, Cardinal Brady and Archbishop Martin to a reception in Dublin Castle -- but there was no comment on the report. The report also reportedly recommended a change in the staff. The ACP called on the bishops "to publicly repudiate this report in the strongest possible terms and to support the priests". "Cardinal Dolan's report not only undermines the reputation of priests who have not been given a right of reply, it also undermines the credibility of the whole visitation process," the ACP said. "It would appear that, in undertaking this particular visitation, conclusions were effectively drawn beforehand and then evidence to support them was actively sought."The Archdiocese of New York said Cardinal Dolan was not available for comment.
    For easier reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

Winty wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/priests-furious-at-inspection-into-gayfriendly-irish-college-3139991.html

This report is so unfair

What is gay about a bunch of single men with no interest in woman living in a big house and dressing up in long flowing gouns?

Just besause the top boy in the house likes to wear loads of jewerly and likes the other boys to tell him all their secrets and whisper examples in his ear so he can made them do punishments is not gay no way Jose no way...

Look - if some of them want to take advantage of the hospitality of the KatholiK Khurch and they want to ro ide the arze of each other - I have no problem with that. It's a free world (mostly, maybe) so once they're not bothering others or children with it - where's the harm?
    On the other hand - if I go out hunting for 'a bit' of a friday night - I don't have my digs, bed, food, drink and birth control sponsored by a world wide parish of eejits dipping their hands into their own pockets.

If they want to start a band (possible names: AlteredBoyz, Kribz'n'theHood, White Collar Workers) or make some exotic liquer (Possible names: Bum Steer, PaddyLicq, Priestli Quer) for sale to the public to pay for their fun and / or repay the 'eejits' that's subsidising them - then that would be a bit of a gesture.

The Gayness ain't a problem for me - using money from my mothers will to subsidise their fun and games - is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Great bunch of lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Can someone please read this and tell me should I be outraged, shamed, bigoted, calling Joe or just not bothered?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Can someone please read this and tell me should I be outraged, shamed, bigoted, calling Joe or just not bothered?

It's not a big deal at all it's just some closeted homophobe priests attacking the college for being too gay friendly.

I'm sure you've heard of this kind of crap coming their way thousands of times before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Overthrow

Last night, Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore welcomed the Papal Legate Cardinal Mark Ouellet, Cardinal Brady and Archbishop Martin to a reception in Dublin Castle -- but there was no comment on the report. The report also reportedly recommended a change in the staff. The ACP called on the bishops "to publicly repudiate this report in the strongest possible terms and to support the priests". "Cardinal Dolan's report not only undermines the reputation of priests who have not been given a right of reply, it also undermines the credibility of the whole visitation process," the ACP said. "It would appear that, in undertaking this particular visitation, conclusions were effectively drawn beforehand and then evidence to support them was actively sought."The Archdiocese of New York said Cardinal Dolan was not available for comment.

Gooby pls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

1ZRed wrote: »
    It's not a big deal at all it's just some closeted homophobe priests attacking the college for being too gay friendly.

I'm sure you've heard of this kind of crap coming their way thousands of times before.

Of course, but I still don;t know what to think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

did someone see them cumming

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Who cares what Priests think.

Bunch of bloody fruit salesmen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Opticom

Of course, but I still don;t know what to think!

News is slow on the catholic bashing front this week, it's the best that can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Last night, Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Tanaiste Eamon Gilmore welcomed the Papal Legate Cardinal Mark Ouellet, Cardinal Brady and Archbishop Martin to a reception in Dublin Castle

I'm disgusted that they are even in the same room as Sean Brady but its the type of rotten action I have come to expect from the schites that is Kenny and Gilmore!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Opticom wrote: »
    News is slow on the catholic bashing front this week, it's the best that can be done.
    News is also slow on the looking to feel oppressed front as well if you think this is catholic bashing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Religion is a dying institution because it fails to move with the times..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Actually, that isn't really true. Religion has survived because some people have changed it with the times, and some people just have no grasp on reality. If it didn't move with the times, we'd be seeing people being killed for all manner of things that are not to the liking of holy books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Interesting concept. A look at the evidence suggests that religion is not dying and most likely never will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Winty wrote: »

What are you saying here, do you think all priests are gay or something? You sound like a total idiot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Actually, that isn't really true. Religion has survived because some people have changed it with the times, and some people just have no grasp on reality. If it didn't move with the times, we'd be seeing people being killed for all manner of things that are not to the liking of holy books.

I would mention that I think religion has in name survived in fact also because people are technically ignoring the out of date, frankly rubbish and fairy tale parts of it while for many reasons (a number of them having to do with family tradition and stigma's passed around) they remain in technicality part of that religion - if not in every day practise or full hearted belief.

...That and the fact that for one religion you can supposedly be stoned to death for leaving it and for another (Rome) that now won't even allow you to legally leave it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Interesting concept. A look at the evidence suggests that religion is not dying and most likely never will.

when more and more people see it for the ignorance it spreads they will move away from it..

when more and more people see it for the ignorance it spreads they will move away from it..

In this country, yes, but we've just changed our God for the Cult of Celebrity, and our church for ITV1 on a Saturday night.

Religion is about keeping people ignorant and that still happens today despite the amount of information available to people.

News is also slow on the looking to feel oppressed front as well if you think this is catholic bashing.

Strawman . . . they are made of . . . straw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd be very sceptical of that ever happening. Are you suggesting that all the world religions will cease to exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

What's wromg with a college being gay-friendly? Isn't there quite enough homophobia in the world, not least in that organisation headed by Protector of Paedophiles Everywhere Beingadick XIV in Rome?:rolleyes:

Those students are all of age and, provided both or all involved in a bit of slap and tickle are also consenting, where's the harm in it? I never heard of the daisy chain and soggy biscuit parties at Maynooth causing any harm to society at large.;);)

What the kiddy-fiddler church needs to tackle is paedophiles in its ranks, not gays.:)

getz wrote: »
    did someone see them cumming

No I really didn't see them coming at all!......oh wait...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Once again I would dispute that.

Religion can adapt, and it does. The simple fact is that religion and it's institutions have outlives everyone and everything. Religions have been around longer than civilisation.

It's a human creation and I think it's a mistake to seperate it from humanity when it's part of us.

There will always be people somewhere who believe in some religion or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

In before Philologos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The catholic church are obsessed with homosexuality and sex in general.

steddyeddy wrote: »

Actually I find its detractors are far more obsessed, in 20+ years I've not heard a sermon about either.

Opticom wrote: »
    Actually I find its detractors are far more obsessed, in 20+ years I've not heard a sermon about either.

You havent heard the catholic church talk about homosexuality or sex?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

That's like saying the garda's are obsessed with crime.

tis the churchs job to be obsessed with sin and perversion so tis

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    That's like saying the garda's are obsessed with crime.

tis the churchs job to be obsessed with sin and perversion so tis

Homosexuality and sex are sins and perversions?

Yes. Fun, but perverted.

Yes. Fun, but perverted.

Well I cant say homosexuality is fun but sex is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Well I cant say homosexuality is fun but sex is!
    are you talking from experience ?

getz wrote: »
    are you talking from experience ?

Gay sex>>>>>straight sex!

I've had it both ways to know:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

rancid!! repulsive!! repugnant! WROOONNG!!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement