Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry Question

• 16-06-2012 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I'm trying to do the 2003 question on volatile liquids (Q3) and I'm totally lost on the calculation. So far I've got this:

P1 V1 = P2 V2
    T1 T2

1 x 10 (to the power of 5) x 95 =

But I have no idea what I'm doing. Any of you chemistry geniuses wanna explain it to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SuchGold

Use the PV=nRT formula. Change the volume to from cm to metres cubed so you multiply it by 10^-6. Temperature needs to be in kelvin so add on 273.
    Then find n which is the number of moles. Then use the grams = moles x molar mass formula to find the molar mass. (grams is .275)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 amy-marie

Oh, that is so much easier! Thank you so much, I got it to work out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

SuchGold wrote: »
    Use the PV=nRT formula. Change the volume to from cm to metres cubed so you multiply it by 10^-6. Temperature needs to be in kelvin so add on 273.
    Then find n which is the number of moles. Then use the grams = moles x molar mass formula to find the molar mass. (grams is .275)

Just an FYI but there's an even easier way of changing cm3 into m3.

Just take any value in cm3 and divide it by 1,000,000. Finding this out made these questions sooo much easier.

Advertisement