Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can't pronounce your R's

• 16-06-2012 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Its the most awful of inflictions, your R's become W's

Roy Hodgson england football manager, Chris Packham on bbc's springwatch, Jonathon Ross they all suffer from it

Is it just an English thing or do people from other nationalities have it too??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Welease wodger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

no no no welease woderwick !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Welease wodger!

Coordinator: Crucifixion?
    Prisoner: Yes.
    Coordinator: Good. Out of the door, line on the left, one cross each.
    [Next prisoner]
    Coordinator: Crucifixion?
    Mr. Cheeky: Er, no, freedom actually.
    Coordinator: What?
    Mr. Cheeky: Yeah, they said I hadn't done anything and I could go and live on an island somewhere.
    Coordinator: Oh I say, that's very nice. Well, off you go then.
    Mr. Cheeky: No, I'm just pulling your leg, it's crucifixion really.
    Coordinator: [laughing] Oh yes, very good. Well...
    Mr. Cheeky: Yes I know, out of the door, one cross each, line on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

An affliction I had as a child.
    My brother and sister used to make me sing "Wun, wabbit, wun, wabbit, wun wun wun..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Don't shop for it, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgos it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

In primary school I couldn't pronounce my Rs. One day during break time a nun/teacher stopped me and another child as we were walking down the hall. She called us in to a classroom and told us we had to do speech therapy, or as I later described it to my mother when I got home "speech thewapy". She also made us do relaxation exercises, or "welaxation exercises" as I called them. This involved her telling me to lie on the floor, close my eyes and pretend I was a leaf floating down a river. I had to do this crap for the next few months.

I eventually got over not being able to pronounce my Rs, but that just came naturally as I got older.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Say Roger & Richard Rode A Rabbit with out using R's
    Bob & Dick F****d a Bunny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I thought this article was pretty interesting:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/may/02/roy-hodgson-speaking?INTCMP=SRCH

Basically, it's not an infliction, and it's just how some people pronounce things. I guess kind of like how some people drop the 'h' when they say '33'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

fryup wrote: »

Roy Hodgson england football manager, Chris Packham on bbc's springwatch, Jonathon Ross they all suffer from it

Other nationalities are affected too.

After all, I'm pretty sure Elmer Fudd (featured in the YouTube clip) is not English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Extraterrestrial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's not quite a lisp.. but it is a slight speech disorder.

It's referred to as "gliding" or "gliding of liquids" (ooh err matron!)
    Gliding: The /w/ and /y/ sounds are classified as "glides." Gliding is a phonological process typically affecting /r/ and /l/, which are classified as "liquids." It's probably safe to say that anyone who spends much time around Standard American English-speaking children has observed this process first-hand and can think of several children who pronounce /r/ and /l/ as /w/ (my right leg becomes my wight weg), or /l/ as /y/ (lemonade becomes yemonade). Less commonly, /r/ will be glided as /y/ (four becomes foy).
    Source

An extreme (albeit comical) example is Kripke from The Big Bang Theory..

I would personally rule a stammer / stutter to be a far worse affliction IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

KoolKid wrote: »
    Say Roger & Richard Rode A Rabbit with out using R's
    Bob & Dick F****d a Bunny

Dafuq? :confused:

I had a speech impediment like this for year growing up, maybe up until the age of 12/13; would find the letter 'r' hard to pronounce, but also vowels too sometimes - bored would become bird, horse would become hearse.

It was really hard to explain to people that I had just been hearse riding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

:D jonathan ross > 1.10 in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

I always thought of it as just an English thing that has its roots in the fact that the don't really pronounce the letter R. But there is that FG politician Pascal Donaghue that can't pronounce his Rs and also has a lisp. Painful to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

I have a housemate who can't pronounce her Rs. And she recently started dating a guy called Rory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Davidth88 wrote: »
    no no no welease woderwick !!
    i have a fwiend you know.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I had this to a very minor degree where I had no difficulty if the word statrted with an R, but I couldn't say it in any other place in the word.

For example, I'd have said "wender" instead of "render".

Then when I was about five I went to this speech therapist where I got a picture of a W with a moustache, and bam, problem solved!

I hear you're a racist now father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

I can't pronounce he letter "r" properly but it doesn't come as "w"...don't know what it comes out as but apparently I sound British. I was going to put that in the "Worst insult you've ever gotten" thread. Must be too much bloody BBC when I was younger. :mad:

• Advertisement

• Kurz wrote: »
    I always thought of it as just an English thing that has its roots in the fact that the don't really pronounce the letter R. But there is that FG politician Pascal Donaghue that can't pronounce his Rs and also has a lisp. Painful to listen to.

Of course English people pronounce the letter R. Not at the end of words, but there are plenty of other places they're found. Plenty of English girls named Rachel and Laura.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

My principal in secondary school couldn't pronounce his R's, and had a stutter.

They actually allowed him to do the morning announcements on the intercom, ****ing hilarious.

WONNEY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Kurz wrote: »

Of course English people pronounce the letter R. Not at the end of words, but there are plenty of other places they're found. Plenty of English girls named Rachel and Laura.

A lot of English accents are non-rhotic

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhotic_and_non-rhotic_accents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Ah well some people just have trouble getting their tongue round their R's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I have this slightly, some people notice it, some don't.
    Am engaged, and his surname starts with R. Might just keep my own name when we get married, least I can pronounce it properly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Apparently Roy Hodgson has been told never to discuss "World Rankings" in public

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Had this when I was younger too. I used to do Speech and Drama classes when I was ten or eleven so I was given a rhyme to say "Round and round the ragged rock the ragged rascal ran". Think it helped a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Basq wrote: »
    It's not quite a lisp.. but it is a slight speech disorder.

It's referred to as "gliding" or "gliding of liquids" (ooh err matron!)

Source

An extreme (albeit comical) example is Kripke from The Big Bang Theory..

I would personally rule a stammer / stutter to be a far worse affliction IMO.

I would personally rule watching The Big Bang Theory to be a far worse affliction than both :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

I know this is after hours, but the most awful of inflictions? Really?

I could think of a couple I'd rather not have, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

fryup wrote: »

Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Advertisement