Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental questions

Options
  • 16-06-2012 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭

I've just moved into a rental property last night and have a few questions.

Does the landlord have to supply a smoke alarm?

Some belongings are still in the house from previous tenants/landlord. Clothes, sheets, glasses, delph. Can we ask the landlord to get rid of all this stuff that we don't want?

One of the bedrooms is stinking of smoke. We found cigarette buts under the mattress in the spare room. Can we ask the landlord to replace the mattress?

Also the place was fairly dirty on close inspection after we moved in. Should we have asked the landlord to have cleaned it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ryaner1979

Bump? Can we insist on the landlord taking everything we don't need out of the house? Xmas trees, Ladder, delph and bedding?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

AFAIK the landlord must supply a smoke alarm. If its an apartment its a legal requirement anyway.

Yes; anything belonging to the landlord that you dont want/need they must take out. Its your living accomodation, not their storage unit! Well, within reason anyway; furniture not so much if the place was let as furnished. Everything else you mentioned though really should be taken out.

If the mattress is so bad that it needs replacing then I dont see the problem in replacing it. The place also should have been properly cleaned prior to you moving in so again by all means insist that it is done.

These are all things that really should have been inspected and sorted prior to you signing the lease and moving in. I would never agree to move into a place if it was in that sort of state until the landlord cleaned/cleared it.

Advertisement