Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackglen Road Widening

Options
  • 16-06-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I'm just about to move into a development off the Blackglen Road and noticed that there are plans for the Blackglen Road to be widened on the DLR Council website, but with no ETA. How long has this scheme been in the works and would anyone living in the area have any inside track (local contacts) and shed some light on when it might actually start to happen?

I only ask as I made the mistake of walking it when I went to collect my keys and had passed the point of no return by time I realised how dangerous it was!

As an aside, what route would I take to cycle from Ticknock Hill to the Industrial Estate?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

AdMMM wrote: »
    I'm just about to move into a development off the Blackglen Road and noticed that there are plans for the Blackglen Road to be widened on the DLR Council website, but with no ETA. How long has this scheme been in the works and would anyone living in the area have any inside track (local contacts) and shed some light on when it might actually start to happen?

I only ask as I made the mistake of walking it when I went to collect my keys and had passed the point of no return by time I realised how dangerous it was!

As an aside, what route would I take to cycle from Ticknock Hill to the Industrial Estate?

Through the estate into kilcross, out onto Sandyford road, left over m50 then right into Moreen on cycle path, out at big crossroads.

Personally I would never walk along Blackglen road, it's too dangerous. You should never really need too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Ah, I didn't realise there was a walkway between the two! Google Maps doesn't reveal everything, but I did just scout around on Streetview and spotted it, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

First I've heard of the plans to widen but it's badly needed as is Hilcrest Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A plan was passed to improve Blackglen and Harolds Grange roads in 2008. It was to be delivered with a load of adjacent residential developments, but these are not going to happen for the forseeable future and neither is the road. the DLR council have stopped all work in relation to it, CPO and prep works etc.

I would estimate 2020 at the earliest, unless something special happens to fund it

Larbre34 wrote: »
    A plan was passed to improve Blackglen and Harolds Grange roads in 2008. It was to be delivered with a load of adjacent residential developments, but these are not going to happen for the forseeable future and neither is the road. the DLR council have stopped all work in relation to it, CPO and prep works etc.

I would estimate 2020 at the earliest, unless something special happens to fund it

Thanks for the info Larbre34.

@ AdMMM - Howdy neighbour! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭JaManSnowFlake

I am considering moving to Ticknock but the road is very dangerous and the lack of pubic transport options is frustrating.

From a DLR Sep '13

"The Blackglen Road Improvement Scheme is estimated to cost between €8-10 million to include
    land acquisition and other costs as well as construction costs.
    NRA Circular RLR 3/2013 issued to all local authorities states that no further grant funding will
    be available with effect from 2014 for Local & Regional Road Schemes other than those already committed to. In view of the expected cost the absence of the grant prohibits implementation
    of this upgrade scheme.”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I am considering moving to Ticknock but the road is very dangerous and the lack of pubic transport options is frustrating.

From a DLR Sep '13

"The Blackglen Road Improvement Scheme is estimated to cost between €8-10 million to include
    land acquisition and other costs as well as construction costs.
    NRA Circular RLR 3/2013 issued to all local authorities states that no further grant funding will
    be available with effect from 2014 for Local & Regional Road Schemes other than those already committed to. In view of the expected cost the absence of the grant prohibits implementation
    of this upgrade scheme.”

Just to point out that outside of the hours that the 114 operates, from Ticknock Hill/Simon's Ridge you are roughly a 15 minute walk from the 44 bus at Sandyford Village as below and 20 minutes from the 16 at Kingston.

Walking route to 16: http://goo.gl/maps/ydUhd

Walking route to 44: http://goo.gl/maps/Nu7Fh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I always found it inexcusable that the Developer was allowed to build without including funding for some sort of pedestrian tunnel/bridge across the M50 to link into the ballinteer road somehow.

Tragedy wrote: »
    I always found it inexcusable that the Developer was allowed to build without including funding for some sort of pedestrian tunnel/bridge across the M50 to link into the ballinteer road somehow.

It only takes a few extra minutes to walk through Kingston.

15-20?

That reasoning can be applied to every road/path/bridge/facility that has been built.

'It only takes a few extra minutes to <insert reason>'

It's a 2km walk instead of 200m, it makes getting the 16 unfeasible for many people (most?)

• Advertisement

15-20?

That reasoning can be applied to every road/path/bridge/facility that has been built.

'It only takes a few extra minutes to <insert reason>'

It's a 2km walk instead of 200m, it makes getting the 16 unfeasible for many people (most?)

Let's not exaggerate - it can be from 1.2 km depending on which part of the development you live in which means it can be under 15 minutes.

From the 114 terminus in Ticknock Hill to the 44 stop in Kilcross is about 12 mins walk. From the same spot to the 16 stop outside Kingston is about 15 mins walk. Neither distances are unreasonable and both services are very regular.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Let's not exaggerate - it can be from 1.2 km depending on which part of the development you live in which means it can be under 15 minutes.

It's 1.4km from the very closest property in the development.

Who's exaggerating?

(hint: you!)

It's laughably stupid to accuse me of exaggerating and to then say 'it's 1.2km depending on where you live' when what you mean is if you pick the absolute closest property, it's 1.2km. That's a minimum, you portrayed it as an average. If the minimum is 1.2(actually 1.4km) which is around 13-15min walk - how is 15-20min average for a large, distributed development exaggerating?

Big Nasty wrote: »
    From the 114 terminus in Ticknock Hill to the 44 stop in Kilcross is about 12 mins walk. From the same spot to the 16 stop outside Kingston is about 15 mins walk. Neither distances are unreasonable and both services are very regular.

If 15mins isn't unreasonable, then neither is 20.

If 20 isn't, the neither is 25.

Etc etc.

The lack of a simple pedestrian over/underbridge turns a <5min walk into a 15-20min walk. A 15-20minute walk for a bus is well outside the norm in Dublin.

The 114 runs every 40 mins or so at peak times. It's not a great service but for the amount of people in the complexes it's not bad. Either way it's a great place to live IMO.

On the flipside being able to walk to the summit of a mountain in 30 mins is not the norm for most of Dublin either. ;)

It's 1.4km from the very closest property in the development.

Who's exaggerating?

(hint: you!)

It's laughably stupid to accuse me of exaggerating and to then say 'it's 1.2km depending on where you live' when what you mean is if you pick the absolute closest property, it's 1.2km. That's a minimum, you portrayed it as an average. If the minimum is 1.2(actually 1.4km) which is around 13-15min walk - how is 15-20min average for a large, distributed development exaggerating?

Believe me you would be surprised how many people walk up to 25 minutes to/from the LUAS at Balally from Ballinteer and don't seem to think it is the end of the world as we know it.

Believe me you would be surprised how many people walk up to 25 minutes to/from the LUAS at Balally from Ballinteer and don't seem to think it is the end of the world as we know it.
    Where did I say it was the end of the world as we know it?

I really have enjoyed your valuable comments thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

You can't seriously be suggesting that because people walk 25 minutes for a tram which runs every 4-6 minutes and doesn't get stuck in traffic, they would also do so for a once an hour bus!? Come on. People walk further for higher quality public transport but the 44 is not a high quality anything. The 16 maybe but I'll bet you not many people walk 25 minutes to it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Walking route to 16: http://goo.gl/maps/ydUhd

A good map by ixflyer - but it is possible to cut a even more minutes off by cutting down through the green spaces at Kingston rather then following the Kingston crescent road. There is a small gap in the fence/wall onto the green area at Kingston from the grange road.

Admittily after a wet period, you might want to avoid getting your shoes wet on the grass but it is a possibility.

markpb wrote: »
    You can't seriously be suggesting that because people walk 25 minutes for a tram which runs every 4-6 minutes and doesn't get stuck in traffic, they would also do so for a once an hour bus!? Come on. People walk further for higher quality public transport but the 44 is not a high quality anything. The 16 maybe but I'll bet you not many people walk 25 minutes to it either.

No I am not - but I've done the walk myself many times from the 114 terminus to Ballinteer and it is certainly not unreasonable as it is being presented as. In fact for most of my working life I have had a 15-20 minute walk as part of my daily commute between a bus and my workplace, and I again didn't find that unreasonable either. Are we getting to a stage where people are that cosseted that a 15 minute walk is viewed as unreasonable?

I made no comment about the walk to the 44, my comments related to the walk to the 16 terminus. However, given that the 44 timetable is clockface from Enniskerry and using the app people can make that judgement fairly easily.

Either way, it's not as if people are going to do this every day - this is only when the 114 isn't running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭cravings

a "valuer" from dlrcoco was seen recently on blackglen road.. haven't been able to find anything in recent council minutes.. but it seems they are looking at options to improve road safety along that stretch again. probably not implementing the full plan that was already done a few years ago though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kevinirl

Seems Like an Old Thread .. Never the less i would ask for help!
    As we are planning to buy a house in the estate but every odd person has commented on the estate being disconnected/isolated.
    Assuming if we are driving 90% of the time it should be ok. Happy to hear comments on people commuting everyday.
    Especially wife will be driving to dropoff our kid to Oatlands school everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

It's an odd area. It's did feel a little disconnected when I lived there (in Ticknock). There's nothing very close by (although nothing is really far away), there's little in the way of public transport, you can't walk along the road to get anywhere, you can only really walk via Kilcross to get out and the traffic at the Blackglen/Sandyford rd junction can be awful in the mornings. If you're in Ticknock itself, the road is impassable in snow.

That said, it's close to Sandyford, close to the mountain and close to the M50. It's not the worst place.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Which estate? The one over near Centra? In terms of public transport it's not fantastic, the 114 bus goes in but it's pretty useless. If you're driving it's fine. You can also walk to the Kilmacud Luas but it would be a good 30 mins at least.

The Centra is handy, and the chemist is really good, there's also the 2 takeaways and a doctor/physio/dentist there. The walkway through to Kilcross is handy and it's not as disconnected as it used to be. One thing I will caution is that if we get another snowfall, it's very difficult to get out of the place in a car. I was one of the few who did last year, and that was thanks to a set of snow chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kevinirl

We are planning to buy in Sandyford/Rockview Apartments ...
    Agree that the estate is cutoff but the only thing is its only 5-10 mins drive to anywhere . Agree the traffic at the junction but i have almost the same issue at most places during peaks hrs.
    The only thing bothering is if it will hold existing prices for few 2-3 yrs as we might plan to sell or rent later. Will we be correct in assuming that one should be able to rent the house anytime (even if its lower rent that in Sandyford)

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

What size apartment are you buying?

Advertisement