Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish-born reporter interrupts Obama speech

• 16-06-2012 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭

Obama in effect is allowing illegal immigrant to stay in the US. I wouldn't tolerate this in Ireland, especially in this economic climate when thousands of natives are being forced to legally emigrate in search of work, but if the Americans want to hang their own noose...

From the BBC:
    US President Barack Obama has announced an immediate end to the deportation of illegal immigrants who came to the US as children, describing the move as "the right thing to do".

Those aged between 16 and 30 who have lived in the US for five years could now be eligible for work permits.

The plan, which goes into effect immediately, is expected to affect as many as 800,000 people.
    The interesting part of this story though is how an Irish-born reporter and conservative talk-show host, Neil Munro, broke decorum and rudely interrupted the President mid-speech to heckle him with questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWQby2KZwfA&feature=player_embedded

You couldn't make this up! This man, born in Ireland and educated in UCD, emigrates to America and then heckles the President about other immigrants! Stay classy Ireland.

Reminds me of this other rude Irish bitch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fze2J2Ve9is who constantly interrupted the President during an interview. It really highlights what a terrible culture of discourse we have in this country, where whoever can shout the loudest wins. The Americans have a more formal Q&A approach where both parties listen to each other and then repsond rather than talk over each other.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

:D couldn't make it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Whats the releveance of wheer he was born?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Reminds me of this other rude Irish bitch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fze2J2Ve9is who constantly interrupted the President during an interview.

Mar dhea! Carole Coleman is a legend for that interview alone. Oh, and that idiot from a village in Texas is still an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

It really highlights what a terrible culture of discourse we have in this country, where whoever can shout the loudest wins.
    Says the one with the all-caps username.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

Seanchai wrote: »
    Mar dhea! Carole Coleman is a legend for that interview alone. Oh, and that idiot from a village in Texas is still an idiot.

You don't understand. That is not how interviews are done in America. Carol Coleman was allowed into the White House to interview President Bush and anytime he tried to answer, she spoke over him. It wasn't an interview, it was an attack.

Do you also condone Neil Munro interrupting Obama? Or do you have one set of rules for Republicans and another for Democrats?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Oh Jesus how embarrassing. This is the kind of thing I hate. I get that everyone had the right to free speech but some people in this country are unbelievably rude. They give everyone else a bad name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You don't understand. That is not how interviews are done in America. Carol Coleman was allowed into the White House to interview President Bush and anytime he tried to answer, she spoke over him. It wasn't an interview, it was an attack.

Do you also condone Neil Munro interrupting Obama? Or do you have one set of rules for Republicans and another for Democrats?

That's how shock interviewers work - it covers their igornace. Haven't you ever seen Bill O Reilly?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Rasheed wrote: »
    Oh Jesus how embarrassing. This is the kind of thing I hate. I get that everyone had the right to free speech but some people in this country are unbelievably rude. They give everyone else a bad name.

Some people in every country are rude. We're humans, some people are just jerks.

You don't have to link someones action to their appearance, and then generalise based on that trait. It's madness Ted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Reminds me of this other rude Irish bitch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fze2J2Ve9is who constantly interrupted the President during an interview.

No she's not a legend, she's rude, simple as that. She repeatedly interrupted his answers.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Whats the releveance of wheer he was born?

He was interupting to say hurr durr deport the foreigners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

If I was the president I will revoke and deport the c**t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Reminds me of this other rude Irish bitch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fze2J2Ve9is who constantly interrupted the President during an interview. It really highlights what a terrible culture of discourse we have in this country, where whoever can shout the loudest wins. The Americans have a more formal Q&A approach where both parties listen to each other and then repsond rather than talk over each other.

Its hard to be mannerly to someone who has the blood of 1 million innocent Iraqi men, women and children on their hands, isn't it?... or maybe they were all 'illegal combatants', as they call them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

He's a writer for the Daily Caller, a news site so biased towards lunatics on the right that they literally have a link for free guns on their homepage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Its hard to be mannerly to someone who has the blood of 1 million innocent Iraqi men, women and children on their hands, isn't it?... or maybe they were all 'illegal combatants', as they call them

Gosh I was waiting for someone to bring this up......Here we go!

That's how shock interviewers work - it covers their igornace. Haven't you ever seen Bill O Reilly?

I don't understand - do you or do you not condemn Neil Munro for his rude outburst? Obama was visibly angry and that reporter will probably be banned from the White House for life. It doesn't matter how much you disagree with the President - you do not interrupt him in the middle of a formal speech in the Rose Garden. It breaks decades of decorum.

Now, if you do condemn Neil Munro for his heckling, how can you justify Carol Coleman doing the same thing to Bush? The interview was highly controversial at the time and many Americans, both Republican and Democrat, were insulted that a jumped-up gombeen reporter from Ireland would disrespect their President that way, in the White House of all places.

This is how interviews are done in America.
    Clinton Vs FOX news
    They take a more formal Q&A format. Both Clinton and the FOX interviewer obviously hate each other but they still allow each other to finish their sentences without interruption. Comapre this to a typical Frontline debate with drug addict Ming Flanagn shouting over scruffy tax cheat Mick Wallace. Nobody listens and nobody learns. The American format is more facilitaiting to educational discourse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Tourists come to Ireland expecting to interact with Irish people, hear the Irish accent, have the famous craic etc and instead they are faced with Nigerian taxi drivers, Pakistani shop assistants, Polish bar maids, Chinese waitresses etc etc. It's very possible to take a week long holiday and not interact with one Irish person at all. Anybody who thinks this isn't negatively affecting our tourist numbers is DELUDED.

/heckle

/heckle

Do you even know what heckle means?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Do you even know what heckle means?

I believe the Heckle is a devalued Sheckle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

drug addict Ming Flanagn

That's just silly calling him an addict

And he does less harm then the likes of G V Wright who got drunk and knocked down a women on his way home for another example

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

mikemac1 wrote: »
    That's just silly

I just browsed through his posts on other threads. Most of his opinions are silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Who gives a flying f**k how the "do" interviews in US:( Carol Coleman rightly pounced on that asshole Bush whose only intention in coming to Ireland was to stir up the more anti-Iraq sh*t. Note he managed to become the most unpopular US president ever:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Gosh I was waiting for someone to bring this up......Here we go!

yes, irritating that someone would remember Bushes war crimes.. it is hard to have compassion towards those who were on the recieving end of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

It really highlights what a terrible culture of discourse we have in this country, where whoever can shout the loudest wins. The Americans have a more formal Q&A approach where both parties listen to each other and then repsond rather than talk over each other.

It's not just an Irish thing. In fact, from the interviews that we see in Ireland, for the most part, are respectful. Nearly too respectful. Two Irish interviewers following suit doesn't actually mean you can make an insightful comment on Irish society.

What you're seeing is 'interviewing' which is pandering to how the tv networks are set up. It is what people want (or it's what the networks think people want).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Note he managed to become the most unpopular US president ever:)

Not realy

Just there are lots of ranking tables out there, he is nowhere near the bottom.
    Bottom third maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Jesus you'd think with him educated in Ireland he'd know to put his hand up first before asking a question. Dragged up he was.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    That's just silly calling him an addict

And he does less harm then the likes of G V Wright who got drunk and knocked down a women on his way home for another example

Your implication that I'm a supporter of G V Wright because I dislike Ming Flanagan is false. I can dislike both.

Your attempt to derail this thread has failed. Now, how do you feel about Irish reporter Neil Munro interrupting Obama? This is big news across the pond. Even FOX news called the heckler a moron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Couldn't care less really where he was born and couldn't care less about that particular story either, I am out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Now, if you do condemn Neil Munro for his heckling, how can you justify Carol Coleman doing the same thing to Bush? The interview was highly controversial at the time and many Americans, both Republican and Democrat, were insulted that a jumped-up gombeen reporter from Ireland would disrespect their President that way, in the White House of all places.

There is a significant difference between posing legitimate questions in the context of an interview and interrupting a speech. Two completely different contexts. But let's face it, you only brought the subject up so you could go off on a tirade about Carol Coleman, who, like her or not, has achieved considerable success in her field and deserved better that to be called a "bitch" by a low-grade troll such as yourself.

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    There is a significant difference between posing legitimate questions in the context of an interview and interrupting a speech. Two completely different contexts. But let's face it, you only brought the subject up so you could go off on a tirade about Carol Coleman, who, like her or not, has achieved considerable success in her field and deserved better that to be called a "bitch" by a low-grade troll such as yourself.

It's not about the questions she asked, it's how she asked them. She litterally would not let Bush get a word in. The White House even complained to the Irish Embassy about the interview. An Irish government spokesman commented that "within Government, there was an acknowledgment that the interview lacked respect."

So even our own Governmant admitted Coleman was out of order. How do you square that one? Her career is in the gutter these days anyway. She only has herself to blame.

• Advertisement

I don't understand - do you or do you not condemn Neil Munro for his rude outburst? Obama was visibly angry and that reporter will probably be banned from the White House for life. It doesn't matter how much you disagree with the President - you do not interrupt him in the middle of a formal speech in the Rose Garden. It breaks decades of decorum.

This is how interviews are done in America.
    Clinton Vs FOX news
    They take a more formal Q&A format. Both Clinton and the FOX interviewer obviously hate each other but they still allow each other to finish their sentences without interruption. Comapre this to a typical Frontline debate with drug addict Ming Flanagn shouting over scruffy tax cheat Mick Wallace. Nobody listens and nobody learns. The American format is more facilitaiting to educational discourse.

I do beleive I condemned both of them.

If you can not ask a question and then accept an answer, you should not be reporting.

I do beleive I condemned both of them.

Then we are in agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

It's not about the questions she asked, it's how she asked them. She litterally would not let Bush get a word in. The White House even complained to the Irish Embassy about the interview. An Irish government spokesman commented that "within Government, there was an acknowledgment that the interview lacked respect."

So even our own Governmant admitted Coleman was out of order. How do you square that one? Her career is in the gutter these days anyway. She only has herself to blame.

You're very good at quoting Irish government spokesmen talking about respect, yet you called her a bitch. Everyone is entitled to respect, period. Also, it is not the role of our government or any other government to tell a journalist how to do their job so what our government thinks is irrelevant, frankly. She left RTE in 2005,and since then has freelance in the US and has written two books.

Seems Coleman is thug to boot. You may rememeber her "I wanted to slap him" outburst during a Sunday Times interview regarding Bush. Rude and violent - what a catch!

Here's a funny opinion piece from the Independent on Coleman Lol
    http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/why-i-want-to-slap-carole-coleman-473294.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/why-i-want-to-slap-carole-coleman-473294.html

Yeah, hilarious, and written by Gwen Halley, a woman with so much class and self-respect she married that mentally unstable ranter, Ahern apologist and sycophant on the Irish taxpayer, Eoghan Harris.

You choose well. Indeed. Carole Coleman, on the other hand, gets her place in journalism for her talent not for lying down in bed with Eoghan Harris, the biggest media hoor in the chief brothel of the Irish media that is Independent Newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Tourists come to Ireland expecting to interact with Irish people, hear the Irish accent, have the famous craic etc and instead they are faced with Nigerian taxi drivers, Pakistani shop assistants, Polish bar maids, Chinese waitresses etc etc. It's very possible to take a week long holiday and not interact with one Irish person at all. Anybody who thinks this isn't negatively affecting our tourist numbers is DELUDED.

/heckle
    Ohh my there is always one clown in each thread.
    Take this scenario that Polish barmaid could very well be a naturalised Irish citizen as are many of my Polish friends.
    The Chinese waitress could be the spouse of an Irish citizen working to pay her way in Ireland.
    The Pakistani shop assistant did not walk into Ireland of a flight but instead paid massive fees for tuition and is working to survive here.
    Are you honestly telling me just because a person does not originally come from Ireland they can never call it there home and represent themselves as a member of this society.
    Ireland is not only for freckled red heads with twead caps and pipe smoking natives,thankfully the tourists who come here are not as thick skinned and narrow minded to think like you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I was with you up to here. She didn't constantly interrupt him, she put questions to him that he clearly wanted to avoid. I'm not sure at what point the Yanks thought their chief executive became some sort of king, but he's certainly not our king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

So you compare someone interrupting a 'formal speech' with someone trying to obtain answers from someone who is clearly avoiding them in an interview? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

So you compare someone interrupting a 'formal speech' with someone trying to obtain answers from someone who is clearly avoiding them in an interview? :rolleyes:
    The OP clearly has no idea about unbiased reporting and channelling questions set by a network with a political interest as is nearly the case with every major network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Really don't get how his being Irish has any bearing on his behaviour.

And Independent Newspapers was obligated to push a pro Bush, pro Israel agenda.

Onixx wrote: »
    Really don't get how his being Irish has any bearing on his behaviour.

And Independent Newspapers was obligated to push a pro Bush, pro Israel agenda.

Because he is a foreigner himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Because he is a foreigner himself.

Technically he is not. He has US citizenship and he has every right to comment on and question policies he is opposed to. I understand why people might find it strange from an Irish perspective but in some countries, when you become a citizen, you are basically entitled to act as such.

It is quite funny though that he opposes this policy when it would potentially benefit his fellow Irish citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Where's the problem here? A right-wing, probably racist jackass is born in Ireland, but emigrates to America. Good riddance! Wouldn't it be great if they all left?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Technically he is not. He has US citizenship and he has every right to comment on and question policies he is opposed to. I understand why people might find it strange from an Irish perspective but in some countries, when you become a citizen, you are basically entitled to act as such.

It is quite funny though that he opposes this policy when it would potentially benefit his fellow Irish citizens.

Is he a citizen through birth? If that is the case its less ironic but even still, his parents would have been foreigners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Is he a citizen through birth? If that is the case its less ironic but even still, his parents would have been foreigners.

I dont think the route to citizenship matters. He is American, it is immaterial if his parents are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Eoghan Harris, the biggest media hoor in the chief brothel of the Irish media that is Independent Newspapers.

This elicited a hearty guffaw from me, thank you!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Seems Coleman is thug to boot. You may rememeber her "I wanted to slap him" outburst during a Sunday Times interview regarding Bush. Rude and violent - what a catch!

Yes, yes, yes but what is your stance on unions????!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

16 to 30 eh! will citizenship follow, i wonder what they will do with these 800k humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Obama in effect is allowing illegal immigrant to stay in the US. I wouldn't tolerate this in Ireland, especially in this economic climate when thousands of natives are being forced to legally emigrate in search of work, but if the Americans want to hang their own noose...

From the BBC: The interesting part of this story though is how an Irish-born reporter and conservative talk-show host, Neil Munro, broke decorum and rudely interrupted the President mid-speech to heckle him with questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWQby2KZwfA&feature=player_embedded

You couldn't make this up! This man, born in Ireland and educated in UCD, emigrates to America and then heckles the President about other immigrants! Stay classy Ireland.

*rubs eyes*
    An unsurprising idiotic move from one of the most inexperienced Presidents ever. His advisors must have let him off the leash for 2 seconds and then he comes out with this gaffe. Homosexuals already overwhelmingly vote Democrat, so Obama doesn't stand to gain any voters from this move, only lose. He will only alienate traditional Democratic voters who oppose same-sex marriage, such as religious Catholics and Jews and certain sections of the black community.

Future President Romney must be laughing with glee. Congrats to him.
    So lets see, constant posting about immigrants, the odd jab at homosexuals, an almost incessant stream of verbiage about Republicans and Sinn Féin, describing the Irish flag as "dogs pissing to mark their territory"... noddy, right?

Basically what happened was:
    Obama: Give immigrants the right to stay here.
    Reporter: Feck aff, deport them.
    Me: Isn't that reporter Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

..... I wouldn't tolerate this in Ireland........

You're not in charge.

• Advertisement
Advertisement