Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish-born reporter interrupts Obama speech

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

KINGVictor wrote: »
    I dont think the route to citizenship matters. He is American, it is immaterial if his parents are not.

I think it kinda does matter. I am an American citizen, but wasn't born there, spent only two years there, so wouldn't even vote, never mind interrupt the pres.

He had some cheek. Obama was seriously p*ssed off. Its protocol and common courtesy to let the POTUS speak first, then ask questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Just because we are used to our Taoiseach Enda Kenny being treated with Kitt gloves and refuse to put himself in a position where he can be asked questions, does not mean that a politician of the stature of Obama cant slap down piss ant journalists. The problem is that a journalist like Vincent Browne, madonna that he is, probably has more credibility and gravitas than the leader of our country.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Just because we are used to our Taoiseach Enda Kenny being treated with Kitt gloves and refuse to put himself in a position where he can be asked questions, does not mean that a politician of the stature of Obama cant slap down piss ant journalists. The problem is that a journalist like Vincent Browne, madonna that he is, probably has more credibility and gravitas than the leader of our country.

Its a different culture. Over there you let the person make their point before jumping in with your own opinion or to question them on theirs. You don't interrupt until they have finished speaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

IrishAm wrote: »
    Its a different culture. Over there you let the person make their point before jumping in with your own opinion or to question them on theirs. You don't interrupt until they have finished speaking.
    So basically they can just filibuster their way through an interview until you run out of time? Great culture that.

So basically they can just filibuster their way through an interview until you run out of time? Great culture that.

Its the way its done. Isn't it better than listening to two red faced gombeens shout each other down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭SMASH THE UNIONS

You can debate with somebody you despise but still grant them the civility to make their point. I've posted the example of Clinton Vs the FOX reporter already. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx7lj4vHrQk

On the other hand, this is how we do it in backward little Ireland. A closet Communist vs a clueless gombeen shouting over each other in an attempt to "score points"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylrkNjIj4UI
    Notice Rabbite losing control of his emotions and descending into a rant. *Shaking my head*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

is it just me
    or does anyone else not give two fcuks about any of this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

but if the Americans want to hang their own noose...

Are you American? dus wondering:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

How much can media culture in different countries be relevent any more in the internet media age. Even people like the US president need to get used to answering questions. Look at the questions that have been publicly asked of Russian president Putin recently and it makes you wonder how docile the "free media" is.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Advertisement

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    How much can media culture in different countries be relevent any more in the internet media age. Even people like the US president need to get used to answering questions. Look at the questions that have been publicly asked of Russian president Putin recently and it makes you wonder how docile the "free media" is.

Obama said he would take questions after he was finished speaking. Then the Irish lad started mouthing off again so he finished up and was clearly annoyed. Its not the done thing.

If Kenny gave a press conference and half way through it, some Yank started heckling at him, you would have a 40 page thread on here filled with faux outrage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

Personally, I despise the notion of controlling the passage of other humans around the globe, as if we're all farm animals. I don't believe anyone should have a greater right to be in one "country" just because they were born there.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Whats the releveance of wheer he was born?

Because it means he's a hypocrite. It's alright for him to come to America and work but fuck everyone who comes after him.

Pedant wrote: »
    Personally, I despise the notion of controlling the passage of other humans around the globe, as if we're all farm animals. I don't believe anyone should have a greater right to be in one "country" just because they were born there.

Ok. Lets say we implement your beliefs in the morning.

How would that pan out?

Ok. Lets say we implement your beliefs in the morning.

How would that pan out?

If all national borders worldwide were lifted tomorrow morning, I'd say we'd be waking up to a very bright future. I'd say it'd pan out very well. Unfortunately, we still have ignoramuses in the world who think people ought to be seen as livestock placed in farms aptly named "countries".

If all national borders worldwide were lifted tomorrow morning, I'd say we'd be waking up to a very bright future. I'd say it'd pan out very well. Unfortunately, we still have ignoramuses in the world who think people ought to be seen as livestock placed in farms aptly named "countries".

OK.

Europe has 10s of millions people unemployed, various states tethering on bankruptcy, barely has the infrastructure to maintain the current population.

And you think opening the borders to billions of impoverished people would help and be a good thing? :confused:

Explain how it would be a good thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

The Americans have a more formal Q&A approach where both parties listen to each other and then repsond rather than talk over each other.

This is either a great troll thread, or you've never seen any American cable TV. Ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Where's the problem here? A right-wing, probably racist jackass is born in Ireland, but emigrates to America. Good riddance! Wouldn't it be great if they all left?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

DO you have any proof that he is racist? Or is that the usual thin veiled attack against anyone doesn't share your values or beliefs? Very easy to throw mud.

I don't understand - do you or do you not condemn Neil Munro for his rude outburst? Obama was visibly angry and that reporter will probably be banned from the White House for life. It doesn't matter how much you disagree with the President - you do not interrupt him in the middle of a formal speech in the Rose Garden. It breaks decades of decorum.

Now, if you do condemn Neil Munro for his heckling, how can you justify Carol Coleman doing the same thing to Bush? The interview was highly controversial at the time and many Americans, both Republican and Democrat, were insulted that a jumped-up gombeen reporter from Ireland would disrespect their President that way, in the White House of all places.

This is how interviews are done in America.
    Clinton Vs FOX news
    They take a more formal Q&A format. Both Clinton and the FOX interviewer obviously hate each other but they still allow each other to finish their sentences without interruption. Comapre this to a typical Frontline debate with drug addict Ming Flanagn shouting over scruffy tax cheat Mick Wallace. Nobody listens and nobody learns. The American format is more facilitaiting to educational discourse.

Any evidence that Luke is drug addict? You should probably withdraw your statement if you don't provide the evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I would like to nominate Mr Smash for epic troller of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Seanchai wrote: »
    Mar dhea! Carole Coleman is a legend for that interview alone. Oh, and that idiot from a village in Texas is still an idiot.

How can Bill O'Reilly get away with interrupting but no one else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

OK.

Europe has 10s of millions people unemployed, various states tethering on bankruptcy, barely has the infrastructure to maintain the current population.

And you think opening the borders to billions of impoverished people would help and be a good thing? :confused:

Explain how it would be a good thing?

North Dublin has many impoverished people. Maybe we should build a wall around it to avoid them damaging our wealth?

See how little sense borders make when you loook at them for what they really are?

Don't get ne wrong, opening all borders overnight would be chaotic so there would need to be redistrubition of wealth and planning put in place to create the right infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

jank wrote: »
    DO you have any proof that he is racist? Or is that the usual thin veiled attack against anyone doesn't share your values or beliefs? Very easy to throw mud.

Clearly you need some remedial reading comprehension lessons; I said "probably racist".:rolleyes:

Not an unreasonable assumption and there seem to be a lot of people who are quite convinced that he is.:D:D

Read some of the stuff here: http://www.google.fi/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&pq=bill%20o%27reilly%20racist%20comments&cp=23&gs_id=jp&xhr=t&q=%2B%20%22Neil%20Munro%22%20%2B%20racist&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=%2B+%22Neil+Munro%22+%2B+racist&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=c8fe7115e14fd3c&biw=950&bih=497

In any case, he is an ill-mannered, boorish lout and the great pity is that some in America may think he is a typical representative of Irish people in general. Incidentally, I believe President Obama handled the interruption very adroitly and put the slimebag well and truly in his place. Unfortunately, the likes of him and the nefarious forces that admire him have little or no sense of shame. :(

But, hey, if he's your kind of guy, just hang on to your illusions and be happy.:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

A closet Communist vs a clueless gombeen shouting over each other in an attempt to "score points"

Ha ha, Rabitte is a closet communist? He must be so far inside that closet that it really, really doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

He's Irish and so is Obama. What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

If all national borders worldwide were lifted tomorrow morning, I'd say we'd be waking up to a very bright future. I'd say it'd pan out very well.

No you wouldn't. You'd be waking up to thousands of Syrians, Saudi Arabians, Somalians and other people from the ****tiest parts of the world on your doorstep.

They will have no education, no identifiable work experience or the ability to speak English. They will live off the nations welfare. Where is this money going to come from?

You're going to have to teach these people how to speak English so they can survive. Where is this money going to come from?

You're going to have to put these children into schools. Where are these extra school places going to come from? It will be at the detriment of the current children of Ireland. Larger classes. Teachers will have to find time to teach these children English and in the mean time will have to source interpreters for them. Are you then also going to teach these children Irish?

Where's the money to house these people going to come from? Are you going to move them ahead of Irish people on the social housing list? Are you going to build new houses?

The few people that decide they do want to work will have to do the ****tiest jobs in the country for the lowest pay. They are going to end up in communities with the welfare dependants. So you're going to have large communities of people that don't work or work for gutter pay. None of them will speak English and they will come from some of the most violent places on the planet. That's how you breed ghettos.

Eventually, these people will decide they don't want to work for next to nothing. They will realise that crime pays and the punishment is nowhere near as severe in the countries they come from. Some of these people will have witnessed civil wars, holding a knife to peoples throat and demanding their cash will be easy work for them.

Have fun policing these ghettos. Have fun watching "white flight" occur, leaving your towns completely desecrated. Watch the wealth seep out of Ireland. Have you figured out how you're going to prevent ethnic conflicts continuing in your country?

This type of attitude is so ignorant to how the world works and is extremely dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Jorah wrote: »
    If all national borders worldwide were lifted tomorrow morning, I'd say we'd be waking up to a very bright future. I'd say it'd pan out very well.

No you wouldn't. You'd be waking up to thousands of Syrians, Saudi Arabians, Somalians and other people from the ****tiest parts of the world on your doorstep.

They will have no education, no identifiable work experience or the ability to speak English. They will live off the nations welfare. Where is this money going to come from?

You're going to have to teach these people how to speak English so they can survive. Where is this money going to come from?

You're going to have to put these children into schools. Where are these extra school places going to come from? It will be at the detriment of the current children of Ireland. Larger classes. Teachers will have to find time to teach these children English and in the mean time will have to source interpreters for them. Are you then also going to teach these children Irish?

Where's the money to house these people going to come from? Are you going to move them ahead of Irish people on the social housing list? Are you going to build new houses?

The few people that decide they do want to work will have to do the ****tiest jobs in the country for the lowest pay. They are going to end up in communities with the welfare dependants. So you're going to have large communities of people that don't work or work for gutter pay. None of them will speak English and they will come from some of the most violent places on the planet. That's how you breed ghettos.

Eventually, these people will decide they don't want to work for next to nothing. They will realise that crime pays and the punishment is nowhere near as severe in the countries they come from. Some of these people will have witnessed civil wars, holding a knife to peoples throat and demanding their cash will be easy work for them.

Have fun policing these ghettos. Have fun watching "white flight" occur, leaving your towns completely desecrated. Watch the wealth seep out of Ireland. Have you figured out how you're going to prevent ethnic conflicts continuing in your country?

This type of attitude is so ignorant to how the world works and is extremely dangerous.
    Raaaciiiiist
    (only kidding)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Where's the problem here? A right-wing, probably racist jackass is born in Ireland, but emigrates to America. Good riddance! Wouldn't it be great if they all left?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know you love disagreeing but couldn't you look at the man's website before calling a user up on their opinion. Anyway, I'm actually surprised that he managed to get a press pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

whats this thread about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

whats this thread about?

Irish reporters interrupting American Presidents.

Well it sounds just silly when I say it like that. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Yeah, anyone critical of Obama obviously has a problem with black people.

• Advertisement

c_man wrote: »
    Yeah, anyone critical of Obama obviously has a problem with black people.
    I doubt he was suggesting he was a racist due to his interruption of an Obama speech, I presume he was suggesting he was racist due to his apparent outrage at granting blameless children US citizenship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

To be fair, a lot more than race comes into it. There's a huge economic factor in allowing illegal immigrants to remain in the US. It's bound to get some people's backs up, especially considering the already delicate economic situation for many in the US.. almost 1,000,000 people already homeless etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Channel Zero

....They will live off the nations welfare. Where is this money going to come from?
    You're going to have to put these children into schools. Where are these extra school places going to come from?
    Where's the money to house these people going to come from?

*cough*

Good questions on the face of it but just to let you know, from their previous posts, i believe Pedant is one of those far-right wing libertarians.

Right-wing libertarians like Wrong Paul advocate the ending of all forms of public welfare for the poor and needy, and the destruction of all public health and education services.
    So i wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be Pedants' 'solution' to your questions.

Couldn't agree more.

Clearly you need some remedial reading comprehension lessons; I said "probably racist".:rolleyes:

Probably means that odds on he is. So where is the PROOF of this?
    Not an unreasonable assumption and there seem to be a lot of people who are quite convinced that he is.:D:D

Ah so down to assumptions so? Can I assume that he is my father or an alien?
    So, so so lazy. If I type Obama & Racist into google and get some hits does that mean Obama is racist? In fact google returns 93 million hits compared to 100,000 so my that reason Obama is a bigger racist! Right? So lazy!
    In any case, he is an ill-mannered, boorish lout and the great pity is that some in America may think he is a typical representative of Irish people in general. Incidentally, I believe President Obama handled the interruption very adroitly and put the slimebag well and truly in his place. Unfortunately, the likes of him and the nefarious forces that admire him have little or no sense of shame. :(

Ill mannered maybe, boorish lout? I don't know the guy. Slimebag? Again very easy to call people names who may not share the same political views as you. You can disagree by all means but name calling is generally a pissing into the wind exercise.
    But, hey, if he's your kind of guy, just hang on to your illusions and be happy.:pac::pac:

So where am I supporting him? I am just defending the ad hominem racist tag thrown out so often. Sick and tired of the race card always being played!

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I know you love disagreeing but couldn't you look at the man's website before calling a user up on their opinion. Anyway, I'm actually surprised that he managed to get a press pass.

Em, I did. And I couldnt find anything outright rascist on there. Quite right wing on their views but right != racist.
    You are of course free to prove me wrong. Did Monroe write something racist on that website!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭hyperborean

Good to see us getting rid of lads like him, like all the plonkers we send to oz every year..... hopefully he doesn't comeback to Ireland, 1 right wing nut spouting **** is enough.......

I doubt he was suggesting he was a racist due to his interruption of an Obama speech, I presume he was suggesting he was racist due to his apparent outrage at granting blameless children US citizenship.

I think that was precisely the reason, after all he is "probably" a racist hence why he interrupted the speech in the first place. The question he actually asked was the impact on the american workforce which has almost 30 million unemployed. A fair question dont you think?

If Ireland had 400,000 documented illegal immigrants within its borders and Enda Kenny declared one day that a large proportion of them would no longer be deported do you think there would be no one within the media asking, "wait a second! maybe we should actually discuss this and its impact rather than give it a free pass"

However, if you question Obama's policies then you are a racist. It is a widely held view by some organisations in the US.

By the way, I am for some type of amnesty for illegals in the US but I totally understand why many people would have an issue with it. The most obvious is that they broke the law.

I think that was precisely the reason, after all he is "probably" a racist hence why he interrupted the speech in the first place. The question he actually asked was the impact on the american workforce which has almost 30 million unemployed. A fair question dont you think?
    Not if you know anything about economics.
    If Ireland had 400,000 documented illegal immigrants within its borders and Enda Kenny declared one day that a large proportion of them would no longer be deported do you think there would be no one within the media asking, "wait a second! maybe we should actually discuss this and its impact rather than give it a free pass"

However, if you question Obama's policies then you are a racist. It is a widely held view by some organisations in the US.

By the way, I am for some type of amnesty for illegals in the US but I totally understand why many people would have an issue with it. The most obvious is that they broke the law.
    I'm sure it's valid to ask questions (see my point on Carol Coleman) - the problem seems to be that he was shouting at Obama while he was making a speech.

Not if you know anything about economics.

Well its good for business as it drives down the price of labour. Bad for the 30+ million unemployed Americans.
    I'm sure it's valid to ask questions (see my point on Carol Coleman) - the problem seems to be that he was shouting at Obama while he was making a speech.

Yes, I agree that he should have interrupted but lets not go over board with mass hysteria and think the man is one degree away from joining the KKK. People get way too emotional about these things. Anyway Obama didn't answer any questions at all after the speech. It seems to be de jour these days not to take any questions regarding policy, even though this law was Congress's baby. Oh wait there is an election in 5 months!! Ah ok I get it now. Stage management at its best!:pac:

• Advertisement

Well its good for business as it drives down the price of labour. Bad for the 30+ million unemployed Americans.
    Straight out of the Karl Marx school of economics? :confused: The number of young workers coming into the market isn't America's problem. As an aside, I doubt increasing the number of unemployed by 1.5% or whatever is going to depress wages by any noticeable amount, and of course this assumes that these young people weren't going to end up on the labour market anyway (which is rather unbelievable to put it mildly).

What will happen the illegals when they become legal and lose their competitive edge - them not being subject to labour laws.

The employers will drop them like a hot potato.

Straight out of the Karl Marx school of economics? :confused: The number of young workers coming into the market isn't America's problem. As an aside, I doubt increasing the number of unemployed by 1.5% or whatever is going to depress wages by any noticeable amount, and of course this assumes that these young people weren't going to end up on the labour market anyway (which is rather unbelievable to put it mildly).

I am anything but a Karl Marx supporter. Wages have been depressing in the US for the best part of 20 years now. Did you see the report the fed brought out over the past week? Still, If I were an unemployed blue collar American I would feel a little shafted.

Anyway, its good we are discussing the merits of the actual policy entailed not some knee jerk, "Hes a racist" crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's probably about the same as about 5/6,000 here, to put some perspective on it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Good questions on the face of it but just to let you know, from their previous posts, i believe Pedant is one of those far-right wing libertarians.

Right-wing libertarians like Ron Paul advocate the ending of all forms of public welfare for the poor and needy, and the destruction of all public health and education services.
    So i wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be Pedants' 'solution' to your questions.

+1 & I fixed your post a little.

That's exactly what I was going to write but I was too lazy to explain. I don't know if I'd entirely agree with your analysis of me being a "far right" wing libertarian. "Far right" has all sorts of negative connotations like being very socially conservative, etc., which I'm not.

I think that all libertarians (especially anarchist libertarians) would agree that states are wrong and/or not necessary, so I don't see how they'd agree with the welfare state as, well, they don't agree with there being a state. I'd be perfectly supportive of those who want to engage in something akin to anarcho-syndicalism as long as it's voluntary. In order to achieve a stateless society, I'd be supportive of a pan-anarchist movement. Once statelessness is achieved, the people can choose what school of thought they want to adhere to among themselves in their own communities (something like this happened during the Spanish Civil War in Catalonia). On the economic side of things, I tend to agree more with the Austrian school, particularly Rothbardians so I'd be more of an anarcho-capitalist in my way of thinking.
    Couldn't agree more.

Advertisement