Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Fast Ferry linking the Burren to Galway City

Options
  • 16-06-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Just cut and pasted the info from their site, but feel its a great idea....especially with all eyes looking sea ward for the ocean race, any thoughts?

Ballyvaughan Bay Hop will run a fast ferry service between Ballyvaughan, Co. Clare and Galway City during the week of the 25th June, culminating with a service to coincide with the opening ceremony of the Volvo Ocean Race on Saturday 30th June.

Departing from the New Pier, Ballyvaughan, the service will run 3 times daily and will facilitate commuters from the North Clare area needing to travel to Galway. With ample parking available at the pier, commuters can park and ride across the bay directly into the heart of Galway city, leaving the stress of traffic jams and parking behind them. A 10-journey commuter ticket is cheaper than a tank of petrol, making the ferry a more cost-effective eco-friendly commuting option.

This service will also provide travellers from Galway with a novel way to visit and explore the Burren, with accommodation and meal value packages with Ballyvaughan eateries and guesthouses available to enhance their trip.

The service will be operated by Rib West on behalf of Ballyvaughan Bay Hop in a fully licenced enclosed passenger rib as part of a pilot project to establish a community fast passenger service serving the North Clare region.

http://www.ballyvaughanbayhop.com/

Share their page to be in with a chance of winning free tickets on facebook...

http://www.facebook.com/BallyvaughanBayHop

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This is a rather good idea in the summer. The road to Ballyvaughan is diabolic and the parking in Galway costs a fortune. If one needed to daytrip to Galway and back from Ballyvaughan this is the easily the best way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Good idea. Reasonable price too. Couldn't find how long it takes on the site though?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

House prices in Ballyvaughan shoot up as it moves closer to eyre square :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

Couldn't find how long it takes on the site though?
    Departing the New Pier in Ballyvaughan at 7.45am, 12.30pm & 5.30pm

Departing Dock Street, Galway Harbour at 8.45am, 1.30pm & 6.00pm

Assuming that there is only the one ferry, the journey time is less than an hour as the return journey starts exactly one hour after the outward journey.
    Edit: Actually could be less than half an hour looking at the final sailings.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

only one week?
    whats the boat gonna do the rest of the year?
    may to sept would in all likelihood be profitable with tourists and locals wanting to visit the burren

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭daithimacgroin

hard to figure out from the website if its only the one week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

Note the small print though: if sailing is affected by weather road transfer will be provided, no refunds given. Given our weather, a cancellation is quite possible and then this becomes more expensive than a scheduled bus eireann bus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Would be really handy for people (tourists etc) who might fancy a trip over to north clare but don't fancy renting a car or doing one of those god awful tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭dasium

hard to figure out from the website if its only the one week

This is a trial run for the one week.... the Rib is on hire from ribwest so not normally idle. http://www.ribwest.com/

There was a feasibility study completed in relation to weather and think it surprisingly had little or no effect on a regular service... but they did have a slightly larger boat in mind for the permanent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ceannbui

i think this is an excellent idea and hopefully will be available throughout the summer. i know i'd avail of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 interl00per

ratracer wrote: »
    Note the small print though: if sailing is affected by weather road transfer will be provided, no refunds given. Given our weather, a cancellation is quite possible and then this becomes more expensive than a scheduled bus eireann bus.

I checked this out. Couldn't see any mention of refunds. I queried this and they will provide them in the event of a no-sail if you don't want too use the alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

dasium wrote: »
    There was a feasibility study completed in relation to weather and think it surprisingly had little or no effect on a regular service... but they did have a slightly larger boat in mind for the permanent service.

I don't think that they would lose many journeys especially with a bigger boat - one of the sold off Aran ferries would of been ideal. They could set up a park & ride so that people in Clare could drive to Balllyvaughan & get the ferry into Galway. With reduced season ticket prices for commuters it could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It doesn't mention the boat size but they do look kinda small, maybe 10 passengers? I guess if the customer base is there they'll look at bigger boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ceannbui

emailed them and they said it was only for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,223 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm disappointed it's only starting next Monday. I booked a ticket just now for the 30th. but the girl who I spoke to told me that all the passengers going on the morning sailing were coming back in the evening one. I wanted to go mid day and return on the evening. Was looking forward to the trip so it's a pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Would be nice if it was a permanent or even just a regular summer-long service. It's a beautiful part of the world but the road is brutal, however scenic. I pity those poor cycle tourists.

I used to sail that stretch of water, and the boat trip from Galway to Ballyvaughan, Kinvara or New Quay was always enjoyable, even (and perhaps especially) in choppy waters. Always a treat to have a creamy bowl of chowder and a fishy pint of Guinness in Linnane's before heading home. If this takes off it'll be a pleasure to nip over for lunch now and again.

When I saw this first I wondered about the size of the "ferry" and the "ample parking". A 10-seater RIB would be about right scale perhaps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 rmoyles

Great idea hope it takes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The RIB is a Redbay Stormforce with 2 x Yamaha diesel engines. She is coded for 12 passengers (but may only have 10 seats) + crew.

At €10 each way it's a bargain, and if nothing else a cheap way to get out in a fast RIB as the trip is 12/13 miles each way, that's less than 1euro per mile on-board.

There was suggestions earlier that the likes of the Aran fast ferry would have been a good idea. Unfortunately there'd never be that much demand for it, and running a larger boat would mean higher ticket prices. You also have the problem that Ballyvaughan bay is very shallow (there is an un-official channel but it's still very shallow at low tide, i'm talking as little as 2ft at times)

Considering the boat will use about 35 litres of diesel each way, and the max money they can take in per run is about 100/120euro, I think it's definitely not a rip off anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,223 ✭✭✭squonk

Well I'm hoping we see more of this service. I'm from North Clare so it'd be a great thing for me. I'd also be able to head across for a day trip and perhaps meet up with some of the friends for an afternoon too. I could do it by bus in a similar time but the attraction here is the boat trip. Also, the service is better than the bus. Fair play to them. They'll get some of my money if they decide to regularise the service.

This seems a good offer for a day trip... BurrenBikes and Ballyvaughan Bay Hop have teamed up to offer a special ferry+bike combo return ticket for just €25!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I wonder would there be room on the ferry for my own bike?

John Cleary, you seem to be the man who'd know.

Seaneh wrote: »

I'm sure if you email them they'll give you a reply, they seem to have been very prompt to answer queries....

Seaneh wrote: »

Physically, there would be space out the stern on top of the engine bay for a few bikes, BUT, it would be the discretion of the crew which would determine it.

As said above, you'd have to e-mail them and ask

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Physically, there would be space out the stern on top of the engine bay for a few bikes, BUT, it would be the discretion of the crew which would determine it.

As said above, you'd have to e-mail them and ask

Did the orginal poster of the question email and find out?

dasium wrote: »
    Did the orginal poster of the question email and find out?

There is limited room, but one has to say in advance while booking if they wish to bring a bike (seemingly some have requested and got permission) so they would obviously take precedence...

http://www.discoverballyvaughan.com/

Ticket sales are seemingly going well, so book in advance if interested is the advice....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Sounds like a great idea, but Ballyvaughan pier is tidal.

I wonder what the draft of the rib is ?

Sounds like a great idea, but Ballyvaughan pier is tidal.

I wonder what the draft of the rib is ?

Neither of the piers dry out completely, you'll get a RIB in there in any tide, with the legs up they only draw 2.5'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

The tide gets very low at Ballyvaughan. I'd have my doubts that anything could get in there when it hits as low as 1.21 metres (sat 30th june)

galwaybabe wrote: »
    The tide gets very low at Ballyvaughan. I'd have my doubts that anything could get in there when it hits as low as 1.21 metres (sat 30th june)

I've been in there on a spring low in a 37ft planing sports cruiser. It's possible, and i've pics somewhere to prove it :pac:

It gets tricky in the bay as it gets even shallower as it's a huge sand bank. There is a sneaky channel on the east of the bay... you line up some point (i'll have to check my notes) with a certain house west of Monks pub and give her holly!! (if you slow down your planing hull will require more water hence you'll ground)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 NOFlaherty

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Neither of the piers dry out completely, you'll get a RIB in there in any tide, with the legs up they only draw 2.5'

Incorrect

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement