Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Fast Ferry linking the Burren to Galway City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,223 ✭✭✭squonk

Feasibility and trial were both successful, yet the service stopped unexpectedly 3 days before it was due to end. I'd be happier seeing something to the effect that the weather isn't the best right now and that a bigger boat is needed. That'd make more sense.

That being said, good luck to all involved and I really hope to see them back offering the service again soon. It'd be a shame to get this far and not have some service (even for 2-3 months at the summmer) put in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ribtickler

Hi Everybody,

its great to see such interest in our project. We are very disappointed that we were not able to complete the trial as everyone who tried out the service enjoyed it. We would especially like to say sorry to everyone who had booked for the remaining days as all remaining sailings were practically fully booked. One thing that's clear is from the trial is the demand for this type of transport option between Galway and North Clare.

The trial was not cancelled due to the weather as some have speculated (though if there had been a small craft warning in place the rib would not have travelled). Sadly, the trips have been discontinued because our chartered operator decided to cancel the sailing on Thursday morning without any notification. He subsequently decided to cancel all further sailings. We've learnt a lot from the few days the service was running and our project to establish a community fast ferry service will continue and hopefully it won't be too long before we have another boat, this time a Redbay Stormforce 11 passenger cabin rib, in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

squonk wrote: »
    Anyone know why they stopped so suddenly? .
    JohnCleary wrote: »
    Considering the boat will use about 35 litres of diesel each way, and the max money they can take in per run is about 100/120euro, I think it's definitely not a rip off anyhow

maybe they have had a rethink ?

how could they possibly make a profit ?

even if they got 100 in revenue per trip, take away the cost of diesel the cost of staff and the cost of hiring or buying the boat, insurance, advertising...

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭dasium

green123 wrote: »
    maybe they have had a rethink ?

how could they possibly make a profit ?

even if they got 100 in revenue per trip, take away the cost of diesel the cost of staff and the cost of hiring or buying the boat, insurance, advertising...

I would have thought the above statement they gave would have answered some of your questions... they stopped due to the actions of the chartered boat they had for the trial. It was always just meant as a trial, intended for one week only. From the feasibility study they compiled, a larger boat was always intended... they make reference to that, and its type/model in the statement. I'm sure if John Cleary see's the post he'll add an insightful contribution re the merits of this larger intended vessel. Re: profit, this was proposed as a community initiative, with the stated intention of becoming a cooperative in due course.

I wish them well... think its a great idea personally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

dasium wrote: »
    I would have thought the above statement they gave would have answered some of your questions... they stopped due to the actions of the chartered boat they had for the trial. It was always just meant as a trial, intended for one week only. From the feasibility study they compiled, a larger boat was always intended... they make reference to that, and its type/model in the statement. I'm sure if John Cleary see's the post he'll add an insightful contribution re the merits of this larger intended vessel. Re: profit, this was proposed as a community initiative, with the stated intention of becoming a cooperative in due course.

I wish them well... think its a great idea personally

the larger boat that your friends/associates make reference to is larger by 1 passenger.

going from 10 passengers to 11 passengers makes no real difference to my point about profitability.

anyway it seems as if its not about profit so good luck with the other aspects of your project

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭dasium

Might be of interest to those following this thread.... from the Ballyvaughan Bay Hop facebook page...

From Spring 2013, it is envisaged that a private operator will offer a basic service to regular commuters - one sailing across to Galway in the morning and a return sailing that evening, with potential to increase this service based on demand.

Ballyvaughan Bay Hop is delighted to report that a new independent private marine start-up venture focusing on marine ecotourism and professional services is interested in operating the commuter fast ferry service between Ballyvaughan and Galway City. This service has the potential to stem the village's declining population by positioning Ballyvaughan as a viable commuter town for Galway City, which is the largest centre of enterprise and employment nearby. In the absence of a reliable public transport service with a timetable suited to working commuters, employment and education options for the community of Ballyvaughan remain limited with wider options only available to those with access to private cars. The short water trials in June indicated a very real appetite and enthusiasm for this type of transport service to Galway City.

More details to follow!

They also have a survey on their facebook page....

Do you regularly travel to Galway from the North Clare area? If you do, please help to shape this community ferry service by completing this short survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BT2HRQG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,223 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm delighted to see this hasn't gone away but I'd hope they'd provide a day trip service for tourists/the curious to leave Galway in the morning, spend the day in North Clare and boat it back in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

squonk wrote: »
    I'm delighted to see this hasn't gone away but I'd hope they'd provide a day trip service for tourists/the curious to leave Galway in the morning, spend the day in North Clare and boat it back in the evening.

weren't they offering a boat & bike package for €25 back in June?, maybe they'll reintroduce that offer if enough people encourage them. it'd be great facility as I can't stand that section of road from ballyderreen to kinvara as it is now

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Gaillimh-Cinn Mhara or Gaillimh-Baile Uí Bheacháin in 30 minutes. €36 return
    http://www.macmara.com/en/baycrossing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

More expensive than I hoped. Thought it would be around €25.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

More expensive than I hoped. Thought it would be around €25.

Absolutely! They've priced out the locals with this, pity.

I hope they will realise this and offer a ten journey ticket or something at a cheaper rate.

Yep. A few of us would definitely pop over on a regular basis if it was cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Regarding pricing, you need to remember that the RIB consumes quite a lot of diesel. Also, insurance ain't cheap for charter boats.

Large overheads. €36 return is grand, given the overheads. A similar boat anywhere else in Europe wouldn't be as cheap, per seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

You can only get from Galway to Kinvara at 10:30 am so the only locals using this will be people in the city wanting to spend the day in Kinvara for some reason? Not much use to people already in Kinvara.

And Kinvara to Galway at 17:00 only? This is totally useless to anyone besides tourists.

Can anybody remember how much the fare on the original ferry was?

If they are committing to running it regardless of numbers, then perhaps 'standby' tickets at 10 or 15 each way? That way it covers costs and perhaps is a cheaper way if you are willing to take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Can anybody remember how much the fare on the original ferry was?

The one back in the 1800s? Ahh, no.

But the 2012 trial was E18 return. (http://news.galwaytransport.info/2012/06/galway-ballyvaughan-ferry-service-june.html)

And the 2013 version was E20 return. (http://news.galwaytransport.info/2013/08/trial-ferry-service-between.html)

After these trials, which has commuter options, this service is not aimed at locals (except if those locals want to pay tourists). Pricing is based on perceived value to tourists.

They probably want to avoid locals coming back on it pissed as well.

But the 2012 trial was E18 return. (http://news.galwaytransport.info/2012/06/galway-ballyvaughan-ferry-service-june.html)

And the 2013 version was E20 return. (http://news.galwaytransport.info/2013/08/trial-ferry-service-between.html)

After these trials, which has commuter options, this service is not aimed at locals (except if those locals want to pay tourists). Pricing is based on perceived value to tourists.

Big jump from 20 to 36 return too, so not sure how much that reflects cost of service vs perceived value (as Mrs O'B said). If the latter, that's a pity.

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    Big jump from 20 to 36 return too, so not sure how much that reflects cost of service vs perceived value (as Mrs O'B said). If the latter, that's a pity.

As a person who runs similar engines on a commercial basis, I can tell you that 36 euro for a 20 odd mile trip (return) isin't a rip off. Infact, i'm going to take them up on their services this summer as i'd love nothing more than a trip to Ballyvaughan for the day via the bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Can you stop for some mackerel fishing on the way?

As a person who runs similar engines on a commercial basis, I can tell you that 36 euro for a 20 odd mile trip (return) isin't a rip off. Infact, i'm going to take them up on their services tuhis summer as i'd love nothing more than a trip to Ballyvaughan for the day via the bay.

Fair enough but Why the huge increase in price then do you reckon?
    When they offered the 20 euro cost, surely they had figured their fuel costs then?

Also do you know the capacity of the boat and what number of passengers they'd need to turn a decent profit? iOr to look at it another way, what is the actual cots of fuel for that trip in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

When they offered the 20 euro cost, surely they had figured their fuel costs then?

Also do you know the capacity of the boat and what number of passengers they'd need to turn a decent profit? iOr to look at it another way, what is the actual cots of fuel for that trip in your opinion?

Think the capacity is 12 + 2 crew, per their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The pilot services included a commuter option. With commuters, there's a reasonable assumption of repeat business, so the boat is more likely to be full even on not-so-nice days. With tourists, there's none of that, so the pricing needs to allow for more days of low numbers - and it needs to be pitched relative to other tourist service pricing, not according to the cost of service provision.

The pilot services included a commuter option. With commuters, there's a reasonable assumption of repeat business, so the boat is more likely to be full even on not-so-nice days. With tourists, there's none of that, so the pricing needs to allow for more days of low numbers - and it needs to be pitched relative to other tourist service pricing, not according to the cost of service provision.

Yeah ok. I know some services in the US where there are tourist prices, but there is a service called 'Ticket Ticket' or something like that. Day of service (or just before), they offer half price for unsold stuff (cruises, shows etc). That way tourists who need to plan their events are happy to pay full price, and locals use it on spec, if tickets are there. I like this model because it seems to be a good deal for both the business owners and locals/last minute travellers.

It'll never be a commuter service, the times don't make sense in either direction, also can this even operate during the Winter? I wouldnt like to head out in a small boat after the suns gone down anyway, Galway Bay can be rough even in Summer.

The boat is a 12m RedBay with twin diesel in-boards. The boat alone would be about €120k new (if not more)

Insurance isin't crazy for a passenger craft of this spec, budget about €1,500 PA

I don't know what their arrangements with Galway Harbour Company would be, but as they're using the outer pontoon I reckon they may not have costs there.

Diesel burn is impossible to give even a guess at - depends on weather conditions, cruising speed, load etc.

Their website says that the project was funded by LEADER. This could be why fares were cheaper last year ie. subsidies. Also, it's not unusual for any starting company to have 'introductory' offers.

On a final note, I wouldn't say that there was a 'massive price jump' (Yes, I can do maths good and realise that it's almost a 100% jump), rather that the price last year was damn cheap, and now has normalised.

Don't forget that this is coming from a boat / water obsessed person, so I consider it good value. If you were using strictly to get from A to B, rather than enjoying time on the water, it may not feel such good value.

The boat is a 12m RedBay with twin diesel in-boards. The boat alone would be about €120k new (if not more)

Insurance isin't crazy for a passenger craft of this spec, budget about €1,500 PA

I don't know what their arrangements with Galway Harbour Company would be, but as they're using the outer pontoon I reckon they may not have costs there.

Diesel burn is impossible to give even a guess at - depends on weather conditions, cruising speed, load etc.

Their website says that the project was funded by LEADER. This could be why fares were cheaper last year ie. subsidies. Also, it's not unusual for any starting company to have 'introductory' offers.

On a final note, I wouldn't say that there was a 'massive price jump' (Yes, I can do maths good and realise that it's almost a 100% jump), rather that the price last year was damn cheap, and now has normalised.

Don't forget that this is coming from a boat / water obsessed person, so I consider it good value. If you were using strictly to get from A to B, rather than enjoying time on the water, it may not feel such good value.

Thanks for all the info, and I know you say that you can't give a fuel estimate but you also must have an idea, given that you thought 36 was reasonable cost wise :P

I'm actually genuinely curious about how much fuel it would (approximately) cost, so could you even hazard a guess based on your own experience?

I'm aware that companies need to pay overheads. I would see it as a luxury jaunt as well as transport. I suppose commuter was the wrong term, I meant more local use, like a Saturday family jaunt, that's what I would use it for, or stay the night. I feel like an opportunity for community effort to subsidise the trip may have been lost by Kinvara folks, but I don't even begin to know how that would work.
    Ah well, back to Corrib Princess on Groupon when the Yanks come to visit:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

You know, I think my and herself might take a trip out to Kinvara during the summer, might be nice :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement