Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladies - Would You Consider Dating a 5'8 Man??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

iffy_2007 wrote: »
    Im engaged to a 5 ft 8 man & im 5ft 9, when i wear heels i tower over him. It annoys me sometimes but its not a deal breaker!

Yup - though technically it's 5ft7.75ins to 5ft9.5ins, and we're married. I didn't wear heels on my wedding day. My cousin married a girl just about his height but she wore gigantic heels on her wedding day - she towered over him! :D I wasn't there but my mam was disgusted at her... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Bloody heels are a short man's worst enemy!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭diabloro

I'm only 5'3 and never had a problem with ladies. 5'8 is average height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I only date girls shorter than me and im 5ft 8 tall chicks freak me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

I am 5 4. I usually go for tall men but I am dating a 5 8. Ok I am taller then him in heels but it really doesn't bother me. I think if I was taller I would hate it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Blue Bitch

I date married men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I'm female and 5ft4. I used generally date men taller than me, but then a man of 5ft0 came along and I was smitten. so now, I'd have no problem dating a man shorter than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Well I'm barely 5 foot if that so I can't really judge but I would prefer a guy around 5'10 or that :o. However saying that, really personality is what makes my mind up whether to go with a guy or not.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Cybercubed wrote: »
    Although only around 25%-33% of men are 6ft and above so most men are smaller than this.

not even close to 33% of men are over 6ft, for white males roughly 20% are 6ft or above, for black males its less than that and for hispanics, asians its much much less than that, less than 5% of hispanic males are 6ft or over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

It's amazing weren't all the women mad about that little dwarf on the voice of Ireland and not more than 2'8 he must have been.

I'm 5'3", and I've had boyfriends ranging from the same height as me to almost a foot taller. I have never judged on something so irrelevant!

I was always "decent" enough to the shorter guys never to wear heels when I was with them. That was my excuse anyway, truth is I hate wearing heels.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    not even close to 33% of men are over 6ft, for white males roughly 20% are 6ft or above, for black males its less than that and for hispanics, asians its much much less than that, less than 5% of hispanic males are 6ft or over

It depends on location. The Dutch men are typically the tallest. I'd imagine most Irish men are under 6 foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I would, because even if wore my usual 5inch heels a 5'8 man would still be an inch taller than me.

Height isn't an issue for me so long as I'm not the taller one. Most men are quite a lot taller than me anyway so it isn't a big deal.

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    I would, because even if wore my usual 5inch heels a 5'8 man would still be an inch taller than me.

5 inch heels? :eek: Bejasus if you fell off them you'd break your neck!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

I love tall girls, Im a leg man. I'm around 5,10 so I am on par with most women in heels.

It's tough finding a tall girl that would go out with you though because like all girls, they like a taller man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

I'm 30 and single - I'd date anyone!

No seriously, most women don't really care about a man's height, the size of hs cock, whether he's bald or not or any other things that men appear to obsess about. Most women I know make decisions about men based on their personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Myself and himself are both 5'7" and it doesn't bother me. I always kind of preferred a taller man but once I met him I barely noticed it. Ah love...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

If I were 5ft8' or under then yes! I'm 5'11 however, so we'd look plain ridiculous. Not to mention I'd feel pretty uncomfortable. That's just my personal opinion though.

Alessandra wrote: »
    If I were 5ft8' or under then yes! I'm 5'11 however, so we'd look plain ridiculous. Not to mention I'd feel pretty uncomfortable. That's just my personal opinion though.

What are you in heels? Do you find it difficult to find men over 5'11?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I'm 5ft2 so everyone is tall to me - my husband is probably just about 5ft8 but I've never really measured him - he's taller than me, that's all I know.:confused: Why would height matter anyway? Who cares?

• Advertisement

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    What are you in heels? Do you find it difficult to find men over 5'11?

6ft1 roughly. Yes, it's certainly a challenge to find men taller than me. Many that are seemingly prefer shorter girls. I've also met men a lot shorter than me who are keen but to be honest, I never feel/felt feminine being out with them. Conversely I've met a couple of exceptions, 6'9 and taller which were a different experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

I'm 5'8", he's 6'3", perfect : )

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I only date girls shorter than me and im 5ft 8 tall chicks freak me out.
    Harsh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

5'8"?:confused::confused:

To paraphrase the legendary May West, who cares about the five feet? It's the eight inches that matter.:D:););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    5'8"?:confused::confused:

To paraphrase the legendary May West, who cares about the five feet? It's the eight inches that matter.:D:););)

8? Ah wishful thinking!! :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Sound Bite wrote: »
    I'm 30 and single - I'd date anyone!

No seriously, most women don't really care about a man's height, the size of hs cock, whether he's bald or not or any other things that men appear to obsess about. Most women I know make decisions about men based on their personality.

So you've seen all their boyfriend's cocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

Cybercubed wrote: »

Now I understand that taller men are deemed more desirable, and women above 5'8 may struggle to date a 5'8 guy, that's also understandable.

Would you date a 5'8 male?? Or is that a no no under any circumstances??

I would. I'm about 5'6''/7'' and wouldn't have a problem with it.. I don't really care about height, being taller doesn't mean hotter. Face/personality are more important.
    I've been with a guy who was probably about 5'8'', so slightly taller than me but when I wore heels, I was taller than him and he seemed sort of uncomfortable with that. I take flat shoes out with me too 'cause heels get sore after a few hours, he knew that so he told me to put the flat ones on! I didn't really have a problem with it but it's the insecurity that's unattractive there, not the fact that he was smaller than me when I wore heels. I put the flat shoes on though. Wasn't gonna be responsible for making him feel insecure. He knew I didn't care at all though, but I guess insecurities are generally never about what other people think, they're about what you think of yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Pantsface

Ooooh.... I love a tall man, nothing quite like one. Always have done. Am tall enough myself, so would always be a bit self concious going out with someone smaller than me... Smaller men tend to be a bit more aggro in my experience also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

What if he's French? Napoleon Bonaparte was famously short, while recently de-elected President Nicolas Sarkozy is 5' 6½" (1.69 m). He's married to Carla Bruni, who's 5' 9" before she puts on her heels.

I'm a smidgeon under 6" in my socks, and did go on a few dates with a girl who was 6' 3". Didn't bother me at all, but I think she wished I was taller. :o

Nothing wrong with short guys. They can buy their clothes in the Boys department and save a few bucks.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭tiny_penguin

Well my OH is the same size as me, we're both 5'5. An I have no issue with it at all. Not as issue being taller when I wear heels, he always comments how tall I look when I first put them but then doesn't mention it again. I rarely wear heels anyway. I've never really gone for really tall men, usually only a little taller than me anyway. But in general height isn't something I'd usually think about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I married a guy who is 5,11 I'm 5 foot 4.5,

My brother is 5 foot 4 and dated girls of heights between 5 foot 0 and 5 foot 5.

A girl of 5 foot 0 looks odd with a guy of 5,10 or higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

bnt wrote: »
    What if he's French? Napoleon Bonaparte was famously short, while recently de-elected President Nicolas Sarkozy is 5' 6½" (1.69 m). He's married to Carla Bruni, who's 5' 9" before she puts on her heels.

Glad you remembered the 1/2" on Old Nicks height.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Glad you remembered the 1/2" on Old Nicks height.
    Not me: IMDB.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

I'm 6'3" and i would rather a taller woman although my last gf was about average height for a woman

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

I wouldn't discriminate against someone I liked based on their height, saying that though I'm 5 "6" and I've dated a guy about a couple of inches taller than me and a guy alot more taller than me. I prefer being with someone taller, I don't think I'd be attracted to someone alot shorter than me though!

There are plenty of tall men who have no luck with women because they don't have the looks, confidence or the personality. Surely those traits are more important than height?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Sarkozy's smaller than that, 5'5 (165cm) apparantly. Francois Hollande doesn't look that much taller. :eek:

Me I'm 5'7.75 (172cm), I would say 5'8 but I'm so honest. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Of course I would. Couldn't care less, as long as he's taller than me which wouldn't be hard. The men in my life down the years have greatly varied in height, and the menfolk in my own family are short, so I don't bat an eyelid at it.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with a woman preferring a tall man. We all have our predilections.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

I'm 5'10 never had any problems. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I'm 6 foot tall (and female) and I can't say that height is a huge issue for me. I do notice men who are taller more though, just because it's more unusual.

TBH, I think society expects the female to be shorter, I don't know why but I personally don't think it makes a difference. I have talked to a few guys that have said under no circumstances would they go out with a girl that's taller than them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭singlesnights

If your belief is that your height is an issue, then you will give off signals that you don't feel comfortable with yourself.

As a result, women won't feel comfortable around you because you will come across as being insecure and lacking in confidence.

It's the self-consciousness, rather than your height itself, which will hurt your success with women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

If your belief is that your height is an issue, then you will give off signals that you don't feel comfortable with yourself.

As a result, women won't feel comfortable around you because you will come across as being insecure and lacking in confidence.

It's the self-consciousness, rather than your height itself, which will hurt your success with women.

It goes both ways, though. Some women are insecure, and because of that they won't date guys who are smaller or skinnier than they are.

I'm a smaller-than-average guy and would normally go out with girls smaller than myself, but I do occasionally find myself with women who are taller. I find that if both of us aren't insecure about the issues, then there are no issues.
    What if he's French? Napoleon Bonaparte was famously short

Famously incorrect. He was slightly taller than the average French male. He just chose the wrong people to hang around when he was being painted.
    mcmacness wrote: »
    I wouldn't discriminate against someone I liked based on their height, saying that though I'm 5 "6" and I've dated a guy about a couple of inches taller than me and a guy alot more taller than me. I prefer being with someone taller, I don't think I'd be attracted to someone alot shorter than me though!

Does. Not. Compute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Im 5'5 and I dont think it has had any material impact on my success (or lack of) with the opisite sex. When I was younger I was extremly shy which had far more of an impact than height ever did.

Ive gone out with taller girls in the past and height hasnt been an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Gimmie five 8'' men and then we'll talk :P

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AllyMcFearless

I'm a 5"4 (and 3/4s!) tall female, and until recently I leaned towards guys about 5"10/11. But have recently been seeing a guy who's roughly 5"8 and it's actually much better. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carverkid

Tall guys can often be self conscious and shy as well. My friends 6ft 7" and a great guy has it all physically but he slouches because he's so shy from his height.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 M_Bovary

Personally I prefer a taller man, but it's just one attribute that I admire, so if there's other things going for him but he's under 6' I would gladly indulge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I've dated men even shorter than 5ft 8'. Shortest guy I dated was around 5ft 3', tallest was 6ft 10'. At the moment, I'm dating someone who is around 6ft 4', so I don't really see the problem with dating shorter or taller people.

I'm only 5ft 1', and it makes dating taller people awkward to tell the truth. The bf was actually laughing at me today because I only come up to his breastbone in height.

I prefer dating people that are around 5ft 8' tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I'm 5'9 in heels.
    Me too. Stilettos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Starting to realise why im single after all these threads

Would you consider dating a 5'8 Man? 5'7 :cool:

Men who still live at home... is it a deal-breaker? Check :cool:

On the Dole-A Deal Breaker? Im an unemployed Student :cool:

Would date a smoker? :cool:

I would imagine them all combined into one is a deal breaker :pac:

I lead a fine life though :)