Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladies - Would You Consider Dating a 5'8 Man??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Starting to realise why im single after all these threads

Would you consider dating a 5'8 Man? 5'7 :cool:

Men who still live at home... is it a deal-breaker? Check :cool:

On the Dole-A Deal Breaker? Im an unemployed Student :cool:

Would date a smoker? :cool:

I would imagine them all combined into one is a deal breaker :pac:

I lead a fine life though :)

Nah, not for all of us. I would however, have a problem with your homicidal tendencies, and would refuse to be a passenger in your car within a 100 mile radius of any body of water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

lizt wrote: »
    I'm 6 foot tall (and female) and I can't say that height is a huge issue for me. I do notice men who are taller more though, just because it's more unusual.

TBH, I think society expects the female to be shorter, I don't know why but I personally don't think it makes a difference. I have talked to a few guys that have said under no circumstances would they go out with a girl that's taller than them :rolleyes:

How can you possibly not realise why society expects women to be shorter. Women are shorter than men and most men are taller than their OH.

Society expects each individual not to be millionaires because most people aren't millionaires.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

How can you possibly not realise why society expects women to be shorter. Women are shorter than men and most men are taller than their OH.

Society expects each individual not to be millionaires because most people aren't millionaires.

I phrased that wrong. What I meant was that a lot of people think it's wrong for a woman to be taller than their OH. A lot of ladies on this thread have said they wouldn't date a man sorter than them or that they would prefer not to.

It may not be the norm but I don't really see why height should be an issue.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I like the idea of de-electing a president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

I'm 5' 10" and height dosen't bother me , we're all the same height when the lights go out anyway ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I'm a 5'7'' woman and I've been with guys in an array of heights! I have always gravitated towards taller men but I have been with guys from 5'5'' - 6'5''.

My current bf is 5'11'' which is a really good height for me. I can wear my biggest heels and only be a teeeeny bit taller than him :pac:

Height shouldn't be a dealbreaker though. In fact, most of these "deal-breakers" are ridiculous. Fair enough, it's down to personal taste but I believe there should be exceptions to every rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Most women are 5'8'' or less surely.

And some/many of those that are taller aren't too pushed about height.

So if you're not getting the burds - height probably isn't the issue.

I'm about 5'8.5'' - 5'9''. Lanky mofo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

About 5' 11" here, no idea if that's acceptable or not tbh :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

well im 6ft 5
    and girls seem to think thats very tall
    i always imagined 5ft 8-5ft11 being the perfect height for a fella
    but girls love tall fellas ;) had some donegal bird come up to me one day while i was in town
    randomly said to me in that sexy accent "My god lik ur so tall, i luvv eh"
    and she was like 5ft 2 ha i was getting a creak in me neck from looking down ah her ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

saiint wrote: »
    well im 6ft 5
    and girls seem to think thats very tall
    i always imagined 5ft 8-5ft11 being the perfect height for a fella
    but girls love tall fellas ;) had some donegal bird come up to me one day while i was in town
    randomly said to me in that sexy accent "My god lik ur so tall, i luvv eh"
    and she was like 5ft 2 ha i was getting a creak in me neck from looking down ah her ha

You'll have a mighty hump on your back in no time ...

http://www.corinaharold.com/albums/The-Simpsons/Mr_Burns.gif

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

You'll have a mighty hump on your back in no time ...

http://www.corinaharold.com/albums/The-Simpsons/Mr_Burns.gif

probably will
    anyone hear any bells ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I would have no problem dating a fella who be 5'8. I rather a guy a little taller than me within the normal height range. I wouldn't want a lad too close to my height or too short. Anything less than 5'5 would be a no no. Only exception if I liked him and found him attractive but I find myself attracted to fellas that are taller than me in particular those between 5 inches to a foot taller than me.

I rather stretch or cramp my neck up high and look up than be bumping heads and bumping teeth not very nice, it feels more protective if he taller than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Aquila wrote: »
    Why would been 5'8 be a problem in attracting ladies?i'm 5'8 and never have had a problem!

I think that if someone doesn't look like the elephant man and has a good personality, height doesn't come into it, and that the ones who can't get dates are using height as an excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I wouldn't even consider 5'8" short. 5'8", 5'10" and 6' all look the same from down here :-) I would like if my husband could pick me up and carry me about the place though. Upstairs when I'm sleepy, that kind of thing. When I see little ladies limping around town in heels with big bear-men beside them I often wonder why they don't make better use of them. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

Just revisting this thread again, don't think boards is very realistic on this tbh. I'm pretty sure most men around 5'8 or under would struggle. I think this thread are being too politically correct here to say the least.

I would hate to be under 5'10.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭pathtohome

I'm almost 6'4. Height doesn't matter to women, it's 100% about the face. Without male model face, you can either **** or...****, your choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

DColeman wrote: »
    Just revisting this thread again, don't think boards is very realistic on this tbh. I'm pretty sure most men around 5'8 or under would struggle. I think this thread are being too politically correct here to say the least.

I would hate to be under 5'10.

People tend to act all nice and PC when on forums in cast they end up being called shallow but in reality most people are pretty shallow. It is all about size and looks. I constantly see girls drool at any attractive looking guy they see while they never pay any attention towards other less attractive guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭starfish90

You'd have to be very small minded if height was one of your major issues in a man...I know there's a great pun there but i'm being serious :D

• Advertisement

People tend to act all nice and PC when on forums in cast they end up being called shallow but in reality most people are pretty shallow. It is all about size and looks. I constantly see girls drool at any attractive looking guy they see while they never pay any attention towards other less attractive guys.

If you're a woman all you gotta be is OK looking to be SWARMING with male attention, if you're less than that you'll still do fine and meet someone/have flings.

If you're a man you've gotta either be "smoking hot" or have high social value within a social circle, if you're less than that you're free to enjoy the pleasures of your hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm fairly fit guy, never been overweight in my life but I'm just under 5'8. Does get me down an awful lot but I try to build up an awful lot of other qualities in my life if I can to make up for it. Given that I've never had a girlfriend and I'm 26, I've realised that I'm never going to get one now, just too bloody weird, this thread just reconfirms it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

I don't know if height is a major issue for most. I think it boils down to chemistry, attraction etc. I am 5ft 6 and have been with guys that height. If they were sound height didn't matter. Being a ridey pants helps too though!:p

I've been with someone who was 5ft 6.

Reading this thread would suggest that, in general, guys have a bigger hang up about height than women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I've been with someone who was 5ft 6.

Reading this thread would suggest that, in general, guys have a bigger hang up about height than women.

What happened to the good old days when men were more concerned about the size of their lad?

World's gone mad I say :rolleyes: :pac:

jessiejam wrote: »
    I don't know if height is a major issue for most. I think it boils down to chemistry, attraction etc. I am 5ft 6 and have been with guys that height. If they were sound height didn't matter. Being a ridey pants helps too though!:p

Exactly. It's ALL about the face for women. If you've an ugly/average mug you can **** till the cows come home.

• Advertisement

pathtohome wrote: »
    Exactly. It's ALL about the face for women. If you've an ugly/average mug you can **** till the cows come home.

I would really hope that most women are not that shallow. And it definitely doesn't just apply for women.

starfish90 wrote: »
    I would really hope that most women are not that shallow. And it definitely doesn't just apply for women.

Guys who're 7-10 on the looks scale only want girls who're 7-10 on the looks scale, and visa versa. However, guys who're in the 4-6 range will settle for any girl who's above a 2. While girls who're in the 4-6 range feel entitled to 7-10 guys. This leaves 60% of the men (1-6 on a scale) left to scrap over 30% of the women (1-3 on a scale).

Guys who're 7-10 on the looks scale only want girls who're 7-10 on the looks scale, and visa versa. However, guys who're in the 4-6 range will settle for any girl who's above a 2. While girls who're in the 4-6 range feel entitled to 7-10 guys. This leaves 60% of the men (1-6 on a scale) left to scrap over 30% of the women (1-3 on a scale).

I can definitely see some sort of film being made out of that quote :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I dunno, I'm 5'10 and prefer a taller guy honestly.

Height is fairly low down on my list of essentials though. As long as a fella can make me laugh and likes all the same TV shows as me then I couldn't give a toss what he looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

phasers wrote: »
    I dunno, I'm 5'10 and prefer a taller guy honestly.

Height is fairly low down on my list of essentials though. As long as a fella can make me laugh and likes all the same TV shows as me then I couldn't give a toss what he looks like.

But most girls dont even give the less attractive or shorter guys a chance to get to know them and instantly write them off for the more attractive guys. So how will you ever find outbif the guy will make you laugh and likes the same tv shows as you if u never bother getting to know him in the first place? There might be a guy who has a great sense of humour, shares similar interests with you, is a kind and generous guy but will never get to be with you because you never bothered giving him the time to get to know one another as you were more attracted to the tall, dark, handsome guy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

confidence, humour and ambition ftw...ive seen the ugliest guys imagineable with gorgeous models...face means nothing if you are a clueless humourless guy that can't charm a woman or make her laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

If you're a woman all you gotta be is OK looking to be SWARMING with male attention, if you're less than that you'll still do fine and meet someone/have flings.

If you're a man you've gotta either be "smoking hot" or have high social value within a social circle, if you're less than that you're free to enjoy the pleasures of your hand.

I'd detail how wrong this is, but I've done it for you many times before to different guises of yours, and you're obviously not letting it get through, so I won't bother, apart from restating how wrong you are.

Disingenuous. You know people of both genders tend to be attracted to physically attractive faces.

But what if they're on a train that leaves New York heading west at 6pm at 80mph, while at the same time a train leaves Chicago heading east at 6.30pm at 75mph?
    But most girls dont even give the less attractive or shorter guys a chance to get to know them and instantly write them off for the more attractive guys. So how will you ever find outbif the guy will make you laugh and likes the same tv shows as you if u never bother getting to know him in the first place? There might be a guy who has a great sense of humour, shares similar interests with you, is a kind and generous guy but will never get to be with you because you never bothered giving him the time to get to know one another as you were more attracted to the tall, dark, handsome guy...

If the guy is confident and approaches the girl. Few women will fail to give a charming confident man a chance, most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I love to woo the ladies with my charming height, my sharp sense of height and my height status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

I am 1 metre 77 cm in height.

I love to woo the ladies with my charming height, my sharp sense of height and my height status.

Out of curiosity, what height are you?

6ft and I'd go for taller men around my height. I'm not very interested in guys below 5'10.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Abdul Abulbul Amir

Girls definitely like tall guys more. Frankly, I think it's the main (only?) reason girls go for me. Tall guys can get by on their height the same way girls can with large breasts. Ok, maybe not quite as easily.

For guys complaining about girls not liking them because of their height or looks, it's probably more that you're shy or insecure than anything else. Women still never approach men, not in this country anyway, so it's all down to you. That's a serious problem if you're a quieter guy, as I know well myself. Also, women really have no clue what it's like from a man's perspective, they assume that it's similar to what they experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

I have a (female) friend who is 6ft. All through our teens she rejected guys who were grand in all aspects except for height. Now she is married to a guy who is shorter than her. I think that if the chemistry is right these 'rules' go out the window.

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I have a (female) friend who is 6ft. All through our teens she rejected guys who were grand in all aspects except for height. Now she is married to a guy who is shorter than her. I think that if the chemistry is right these 'rules' go out the window.

Yeah, but in your friend's case that's just a numbers game. Only 20% of men are over 6 foot. She didn't have much of a choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

lads rarely ever go for girls taller than them and most girls don't mind as long as you're their height or taller. most girls are well under 5'8 and wearing heels is usually a rare occasion so taking the 6 inches from heels into account when looking for a lad is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but in your friend's case that's just a numbers game. Only 20% of men are over 6 foot. She didn't have much of a choice.

So as I'm an uber shortarse at 172cm, that puts me at what the 25th percentile? 1 in 4 men are shorter than me? Thats loads. :eek: :pac:

Don't believe that for one second though, I remember being at sixth form here in the north and being the shortest out of 60 boys.

So as I'm an uber shortarse at 172cm, that puts me at what the 25th percentile? 1 in 4 men are shorter than me? Thats loads. :eek: :pac:

Don't believe that for one second though, I remember being at sixth form here in the north and being the shortest out of 60 boys.

Might not be perfect, it is from the US rather than here. I'd say it's close enough though. Maybe you're less than 172?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

Just to clarify:

Is that 5' 8 wide or 5'8 tall???

Might not be perfect, it is from the US rather than here. I'd say it's close enough though. Maybe you're less than 172?

No I'm about that, somewhere between 5'7 1/2 to 5'8 depending on the time of day (cause thats important). I was 170 at sixth form if I remember (but I was only 16 then).

Girls definitely like tall guys more. Frankly, I think it's the main (only?) reason girls go for me. Tall guys can get by on their height the same way girls can with large breasts. Ok, maybe not quite as easily.

Would you only go out with a girl if she had large/nice breasts? I doubt that's true.
    For guys complaining about girls not liking them because of their height or looks, it's probably more that you're shy or insecure than anything else.

Nail on the head - short/tall, good looking/not so good looking, it's all about confidence and sense of humour.

Women still never approach men, not in this country anyway, so it's all down to you. That's a serious problem if you're a quieter guy, as I know well myself. Also, women really have no clue what it's like from a man's perspective, they assume that it's similar to what they experience.

A lot of people meet through chatting in pubs/clubs in the smoking area, waiting to be served etc. Yes, very few women approach men but that is changing. Most of us acknowledge it takes courage to approach someone.

Just bear in mind that a lot of guys, not all, make their move when they are annoyingly drunk, tend to talk to your boobs and can get quiet nasty if you are not interested, for whatever reason. If our social life revolved less around alcohol, and people had a chance to chat while sober, it would make it easier for all concerned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm 5'6 and used to date a guy the same height as me. I had no problem with it but he was a bit sensitive so I used to pretend that I thought he was a bit taller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I would and I do (although that's a bit of a lie, he's a bit shorter than 5'8") (in height I mean)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I'm a guy, 5'8", never bothered me, especially as my OH is tiny! She's like, 5'2" or smaller even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Cybercubed wrote: »
    Right I made a statement in another thread saying that 5'8 man are too short to date so would like to poll it. I'm a 5'8 male, and I've heard rumours that the vast majority of women do not like to do someone of this height or smaller. Although only around 25%-33% of men are 6ft and above so most men are smaller than this. I've never really taken notice of this nor cared until recently reading on the internet that the majority of women would refuse to date someone around my height under almost any circumstances and I'm just curious how true this is??

Now I understand that taller men are deemed more desirable, and women above 5'8 may struggle to date a 5'8 guy, that's also understandable.

Would you date a 5'8 male?? Or is that a no no under any circumstances??

How Shallow you are, judging a guy on his height! It is not what is on the outside it is whats on the inside. I have dated guys in the past who had looks of film stars BUT have been f***ing ugly on the inside. Why dont you just cut the cr*p and ask him how much money he has in the Bank. I bet you would change your tune if he was wealthy.

Besides they are all the same size lying down!

• Advertisement

How Shallow you are, judging a guy on his height! It is not what is on the outside it is whats on the inside. I have dated guys in the past who had looks of film stars BUT have been f***ing ugly on the inside. Why dont you just cut the cr*p and ask him how much money he has in the Bank. I bet you would change your tune if he was wealthy.

Besides they are all the same size lying down!
    Eh .......... the OP is a 5ft8 male. He's just asking for an opinion about the common belief that girls prefer taller guys. So I don't think he's after a wealthy man.

Advertisement