Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladies - Would You Consider Dating a 5'8 Man??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I've just realised that I don't know what height I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

There's a lot of people here who are calling women/men shallow for going after taller poeple.

Do some of you not realise that people have types that they are more attracted to and get them going better which they can't always help?
    Definitely it's "what's on the inside that matters most" that's important, but for me, I wouldn't be attracted to a shorter guy. It's just not what I'm compatible with and I'm sure a good few people feel the same.

You can't throw down on what gets someone going because they can't always control what turns them on. I know I can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've just realised that I don't know what height I am.
    Do a lot of people call you 'shortarse'? Cos that'd be a clue right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Eh .......... the OP is a 5ft8 male. He's just asking for an opinion about the common belief that girls prefer taller guys. So I don't think he's after a wealthy man.

Whoops got the gender wrong!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

kylith wrote: »
    Do a lot of people call you 'shortarse'? Cos that'd be a clue right there.

No, just "arse," or occasionally "arseface."

The general consensus is that I'm on the tall side, which is evident to me. I've no idea what exact height I am though, but maybe that's just because I'm not small. If I were shorter I might be preoccupied with my height, who knows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm male and 5'5 or 5'6 depending on shoes. No-one has ever commented on my height. It's irrelevant. In fact it's great being my height. The girlfriend is 4" taller, more in heels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Confab wrote: »
    I'm male and 5'5 or 5'6 depending on shoes. No-one has ever commented on my height. It's irrelevant. In fact it's great being my height. The girlfriend is 4" taller, more in heels.

I'm about the same height, maybe a bit shorter. Love taller girls, and I've yet to meet a girl who has any issues with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

DColeman wrote: »
    Just revisting this thread again, don't think boards is very realistic on this tbh. I'm pretty sure most men around 5'8 or under would struggle. I think this thread are being too politically correct here to say the least.

I would hate to be under 5'10.
    People tend to act all nice and PC when on forums in cast they end up being called shallow but in reality most people are pretty shallow.
    If the height suggested was 5ft 5/6 maybe, but 5ft 8 isn't small. I'd say the majority of women aren't that height. I think being short can be a problem for a guy, yes - but the same height as the woman or only a small bit taller? Doubtful it's an issue for guys, generally speaking. I'm 5ft 5, a guy being 5ft 8 is grand and tall IMO.
    It is all about size and looks. I constantly see girls drool at any attractive looking guy they see while they never pay any attention towards other less attractive guys.
    Wow, that is just so unusual and not applicable to guys/people in general at all!

I propose people not focus on the appearances of people they find attractive and make a point of focusing on people they're not as attracted to - for the sake of fairness like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Girls definitely like tall guys more. Frankly, I think it's the main (only?) reason girls go for me. Tall guys can get by on their height the same way girls can with large breasts. Ok, maybe not quite as easily.

Would you only go out with a girl if she had large/nice breasts? I doubt that's true.
    For guys complaining about girls not liking them because of their height or looks, it's probably more that you're shy or insecure than anything else.

Nail on the head - short/tall, good lucking/not so good looking, it's all about confidence and sense of humour.

Women still never approach men, not in this country anyway, so it's all down to you. That's a serious problem if you're a quieter guy, as I know well myself. Also, women really have no clue what it's like from a man's perspective, they assume that it's similar to what they experience.

A lot of people meet through chatting in pubs/clubs in the smoking area, waiting to be served etc. Yes, very few women approach men but that is changing. Most of us acknowledge it takes courage to approach someone.

Just bear in mind that a lot of guys, not all, make their move when they are annoyingly drunk, tend to talk to your boobs and can get quiet nasty if you are not interested, for whatever reason. If our social life revolved less around alcohol, and people had a chance to chat while sober, it would make it easier for all concerned.

Everyday nearly everywhere people can chat while sober.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

The boyfriend is about 5'7" and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm about 5'4", so if in fairly high heels, I'm a bit taller, but that is a non-issue for both of us. I always used to go out with 5'10"+ guys prior to him, but that wasn't a conscious thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

True, but they usually don't ask someone out. In fact, it would probably be considered odd to ask someone out in a supermarket for example, because we're not used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Madam_X wrote: »
    If the height suggested was 5ft 5/6 maybe, but 5ft 8 isn't small. I'd say the majority of women aren't that height. I think being short can be a problem for a guy, yes - but the same height as the woman or only a small bit taller? Doubtful it's an issue for guys, generally speaking. I'm 5ft 5, a guy being 5ft 8 is grand and tall IMO.

Wow, that is just so unusual and not applicable to guys/people in general at all!

I propose people not focus on the appearances of people they find attractive and make a point of focusing on people they're not as attracted to - for the sake of fairness like.

People are obviously going to look at people they find attractive, and tell people that this is their ideal type. The thing is, most girls I've ended up in a relationship with have been people who didn't instantly jump out to me as being attractive. But when I get to know them I end up noticing the little things and suddenly they're irresistable to me. I'd imagine it's similar for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

True, but they usually don't ask someone out. In fact, it would probably be considered odd to ask someone out in a supermarket for example, because we're not used to it.

Nail on the head. It wouldn't be just odd - it would almost be creepy to do that here. We don't have that dating culture like they have in the states where people approach random strangers on the street, in a shop, cafe etc, and ask them out.

I think its wrong to be specific and say "a 5 foot 8 man" just because on average that is a small enough guy but you should really be asking does a woman mind if the man is her height or smaller than her.
    Girls like tall guys, it makes them feel more feminine and comfortable but if a girl is 5 foot 2, even 5 foot 6 to her is tall and there would be no problem.
    But even if two people are the same height its definitely not a deal breaker or at least shouldn't be. There's a lot more to it than height. Once there's an attraction height means nothing. Guys definetily think more about it than woman.
    But ya i do think a 5 foot 11 woman could never be with a 5 foot 5 man, an inch or two here or there is nothing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Well my brother (who is now 52) only manages to reach the heady heights of 5' 7" first thing in the morning before gravity kicks in. By nighttime I swear he's lost half an inch but he hasn't been single for longer then 6 months since he was 15, and even that was while his divorce came through.
    It could be argued that since he is wealthy that attracts women except that his current partner has more money then him.

My 5' 6" father never lacked for girlfriends either :(

Perhaps, but nothing stopping you. Done confidently I find what's odd can often seem
    Normal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭pathtohome

Perhaps, but nothing stopping you. Done confidently I find what's odd can often seem
    Normal.

Confidence comes with acceptance which comes from looks. Good looking guys have no problems in the first instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Madam_X wrote: »

Not a stab at girls per se. Just saying girls are just as shallow as guys. Everyone seems to take for granted that guys go primarily for looks and there seems to be the thought that how a guy looks isn't as important to a girl as his personality, humour, confidence and whatever. But I see all the time girls acting just as shallow as guys (if not even more) when it comes to judging people on their looks alone. Just had to look at the amount of girls going crazy over all those American navy guys who were in Dublin last weekend...

Point is if you're a tall and fit guy, it's pretty easy for you to attract girls despite how little of a personality you may have and if you're average or below average height guy, then it is quite challenging for you to attract girls and you need to rely on other aspects of your personality to make up for your lack of height.

Its more of an observation than a comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Considering i'm 4foot9 a guy who is 5'8 is fairly tall in comparrison to me lol. Although my oh is actually 5'11 which suits me down to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

This was started in June

Well OP have you got your hole yet.

pathtohome wrote: »
    Normal.

Confidence comes with acceptance which comes from looks. Good looking guys have no problems in the first instance.

Anyone can accept themselves. Have you never seen a confident ugly guy? I know I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

1ZRed wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what height are you?

No idea to be honest, never bothered to find out.

My girlfriend is around 5'8 in heels and I'd still be a couple inches taller, so there's that I suppose.

Point is if you're a tall and fit guy, it's pretty easy for you to attract girls despite how little of a personality you may have and if you're average or below average height guy, then it is quite challenging for you to attract girls and you need to rely on other aspects of your personality to make up for your lack of height.

You might attract girls at first, but they're not gonna hang around. I would assume that's the same for both sexes.

I got chatted up by a guy at the weekend, he was tall and very beautiful [initially] to be fair. He was so full of himself it was painful, I'm not talking confident, I'm talking seriously arrogant. He kept telling me how good looking he was, and in between that, how good looking I was.....but mostly him. He gave himself an 8 or 9 out of 10 (he gave me an 8* :rolleyes:), the more he spoke the less attractive he became. He was utterly shocked that I had zero interest in him. It was actually pretty hilarious. He couldn't drop it either, and asked myself and my friend a good few times was I actually rejecting him. Imagine. Rejecting a hot guy because he had no personality!

But anyway in answer to the OP, yeh, I'd date a guy who was 5'8" if there was an attraction there, because attraction isn't always based solely on looks. But I'm pretty ickle myself so it could be different for someone who is 6ft.

* I'm nowhere near an 8 btw, I wish I was!!!

You might attract girls at first, but they're not gonna hang around.

I'm not disputing that. What I'm saying is, if you don't have the looks and you're male you will never be given the chance despite your personality.

I'm not disputing that. What I'm saying is, if you don't have the looks and you're male you will never be given the chance despite your personality.

Of course you will. Be nice, be friendly, be confident and most importantly, don't be a dick! Attraction is different for everyone.

Normal.

Hmm, so if a paedophile is confident when he stalks his prey does that make it normal? If the person been approached is open and maybe attracted to the person then its fine. Otherwise it could be considered a bit creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Of course you will. Be nice, be friendly, be confident and most importantly, don't be a dick! Attraction is different for everyone.

I'll have to agree with this apart from the "don't be a dick!" part as it seems girls like guys who're dicks!

My friend is only about 5'6" and not the most attractive guy. But he is very confident and fairly arrogant too. He has no hesitation chatting up a girl anywhere and many times he stopped and chatted up random girls on the street getting their phone number. Its something I could never do. He does behave like a real dick but he's very confident so girls seem to like him and he seems to have no problems hooking up with girls, although now he seems to be in a long term relationship with a girl he chatted up on grafton street one day.

So I guess if you're confident and have no inhibition towards chatting up girls, you can get any girl you like.

Its just I despise the whole chatting up random girls thing, it all seems very fake to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I would only have ever been attracted to taller guys really and would not have considered a guy who is around the same height as me (5'7") but I fell in love with a man who is the same height as me and couldnt be happier!

• Advertisement

A man could be 6'2, have the personality of an undertaker and a face like a well slapped arse. Would he be any better with women than a charismatic Brad Pitt lookalike who's only 5'7? There's many other factors that come into it.

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    Normal.

Hmm, so if a paedophile is confident when he stalks his prey does that make it normal? If the person been approached is open and maybe attracted to the person then its fine. Otherwise it could be considered a bit creepy.

Their are bounds within which confidence can shape the perception of normality. Outside of those bounds it can't . For example no matter how confident someone is licking a lamp post for hours on end will always be weird.

I think what people generally find creepy is not being yourself when approaching telhe opposite sex so that you can get something you want from them. I honestly think if a man walks up to a woman smiles and says hello and lays out his intentions in a way where she can tell he's not relying on her reaction to feel normal and she can tell he's light hearted about it then she won't think he's creepy.

Creepy is hiding your intentions and making small talk to weasel your way in.

That's ridiculous. Confidence comes from your own self acceptance. If you accept yourself and are happy and content in who you are, the confidence will flow because you're not going to dwell on how much better you could be.

You are who you are, and that might not be for everyone, but if take pride in yourself it'll be good enough for a heap of people. That's a guarantee.

I know a few lads that might not be the best looking guys but they have unreal personalities and are great to be around for the laugh. They happen to be confidant guys and have gotten themselves very good looking girls. I don't buy into the "good looks alone makes you a confidant person" mentality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

I am over 5 foot 8 in heels(normally 5 foot 6 but heels make my legs look amazing). So it's a no for me. I have done so in the past and it has never felt right. It feels more feminine if the man is taller. I went out with a guy my own height before and I could't wear heels on as I felt like a giant beside him :mad: never again!!

If I was shorter then 5 foot 8 would be grand :)

Creepy is what ever a person thinks is creepy. Someone can be genuine and up front about their intentions and still come off as creepy, depending on who they're approaching and where they're approaching them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm 6ft4 in my bare feet, can't say I'd consider dating a small man, probably because I'm not gay.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Creepy is hiding your intentions and making small talk to weasel your way in.making any kind of interaction while not being particularly good-looking

FYP

Daveysil15 wrote: »

Creepy is what ever a person thinks is creepy. Someone can be genuine and up front about their intentions and still come off as creepy, depending on who they're approaching and where they're approaching them.

Yes creepy is whatever someone perceives to be creepy and it just do happens that tends to be needy, approval seeking behaviour in combination with sexual interest. Being nervous whilst showing sexual intent comes infer that umbrella.

Yes creepy is whatever someone perceives to be creepy and it just do happens that tends to be needy, approval seeking behaviour in combination with sexual interest. Being nervous whilst showing sexual intent comes infer that umbrella.

So if you're nervous and horny you're a creep? That would mean people about to lose their virginity are creepy. And what about the arrogant pervy arse grabbers that often lurk aound night clubs? What you're describing sounds more like someone who lacks confidence. I wouldn't call that creepy. But that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

The average height of an Irish man is 5'7". Those voting no are ruling out a fairly hefty proportion of the male population. A bit ridiculous really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Ha! I'm married to a 5ft 8 man. But as I'm 5ft 2.5, that's OK by me. I can wear high heels!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Ha! I'm married to a 5ft 8 man. But as I'm 5ft 2.5, that's OK by me. I can wear high heels!! :D

I estimate your kids should be 5"6.25, short asses, they will be bullied, you should have married a man at least 6"6.

OP being hung up about it is your problem. That is your only impediment to being 5"8.

Here have a read of this. It might help,

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=pick%20up%20artist%20book%20woman&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&ved=0CEcQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kezia-noble.com%2Fpick-up-artist-book%2F&ei=FHxGUJutGIOwhAeM3oHwAQ&usg=AFQjCNHb_kaVgo2CHAUND2uaTTXXD7pufA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Colmustard wrote: »
    I estimate your kids should be 5"6.25, short asses, they will be bullied, you should have married a man at least 6"6.

Actually, my child is 10" tall. He has no problems with bullies as he simply bites them. But then he's a Shih Tzu! :D

EchoO wrote: »
    The average height of an Irish man is 5'7". Those voting no are ruling out a fairly hefty proportion of the male population. A bit ridiculous really.

No it's not, it's 5'10.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭martinak89

My boyfriend is 5ft 7 and he's the perfect height for me :) I dated a guy who was about 6ft if not more than 6ft and I just thought that he was way to tall. Then again I am only 5ft 1 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Eriopis

I would if he had a huge....

pen. I like pens. For writing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I would date someone who was 5'7'' or 5'9'' but not 5'8''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

No it's not, it's 5'10.

I'd say it's closer to 5'9.

Larianne wrote: »
    I'd say it's closer to 5'9.
    Ireland 1.775 m (5 ft 10 in)

Nope. If anything, it seems like the shorter guys keep bringing up the wrong figures to justify their height :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

No it's not, it's 5'10.

I looked it on google and the the first few links all put it at 5"7'.
    With the average height of an Irish man being 5'7'' and a woman being 5'6'', people like myself, standing at 6'5'', my brother 6'6'' and my friend Mark 6'7", are indeed in the minority.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/freezing-toes-and-no-leg-room-my-life-as-a-6-5giant-2894644.html

The 5'10' figure in wikipedia is "self-reported", whereas most of the other countries are "measured". So it's conceivable that a lot of the Irish men asked - lied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

EchoO wrote: »
    The 5'10' figure in wikipedia is "self-reported", whereas most of the other countries are "measured". So it's conceivable that a lot of the Irish men asked - lied.

Going by the number of online dates I've had with guys saying they're 5'10, I'd well believe that. :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement