Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bring back the old days!

• 16-06-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

My names Hamhide.In game and in boards.I'm a first time poster here.
    I've been playing WoW since about a year into vinalla.My brother came home from work 1 evening when i was staying with him one school summer holiday.
    Little did I know what he was carrying.Some game called World of Warcraft.I watched him play for a few hours and when he went to bed I had a go.He found me the next morning still at the PC.

So yeh i've been playing a while,I got to lvl1-70 on dail-up internet in Roscommon.Thats what it ment to me.I played solidly through vinalla,BC and about 3/4 through waith till i decided to stop.I felt I was spending too much time on it and it litratly ruled my life.My boyfriend who I ment through the game still played it as I watched from time to time.eventully i decided I missed raiding too much and loged back in.I transfered my 2 characters to his relm and changed faction so I could play with him.€45 it cost me mind you!

Things were good for a while but then I realised why I left.It was simply boring.Sure i raided for a while and had a little more fun but nothing I really missed.Whenever I was online i found myself running round silitus,taneris and all those ancient places.I missed the old world way too much so i quit again.Then when cata came out i got back on,redoing all the old places got me quite excited but to my suprise it turned out to be rubbish.i even started a new character to expierance it all again but nothing was the same.Am i the only one who feels like this? should Blizz make new servers with just vinilla,BC and waith for people like me? was anyone elses favourite time,wiping on moroes at 3 am? thanks a lot for reading sorry for the lenght.i know girls talk too much :o

x hammy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭fiinch

i can't see blizzard having dedicated servers for older versions of the game. after the amount of time and money they put into creating a new expansion that people on those servers are never going to buy! it would just be a giant cash sinkhole for them

every game is always going to have that nostalgic rose tinted glasses effect, when it's new and exciting you can't get anough, when you play it for so long it's only natural that you wouldn't get the same feeling from playing. same thign when i fist played pokemon on the gameboy, or half life, age of empires or the original diablo. it's a pity but that's just the way it is!

i remember being shocked that i couldn't just walk through the defias mobs after equipping their red mask. BUT I LOOK JUST LIKE THEM HOW DO THEY KNOW WHAT KIND OF RPG IS THIS!?!?

oh and there are private servers out there that just play vanilla / wotlk etc. not allowed to link to them on this site but if you have google it shouldn't be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Elrollo

I used to love the levelling process, especially after level 30 and wandering around Desolace(bloody depressing place) and hopping a boat and hitting Stranglethorn Vale only to find myself being smashed by folks about 30 levels higher than I! Still loads of fun though! The battlegrounds were fun too, loved the Alterac Valley level. Feck if this thread hasnt made me at all nostalgic, though I know I should leave it in the past! Was chatting to a friend about it a few nights ago who warned me not to go back if I valued my rosey memories!

Still...the pull is there..

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Hamhide

yeh i know about the private servers but there kinda risky and it costs money to use the good ones.i'm not that technical with computers to know how to make my own one either.Still if Blizz made some relms just with vinalla,BC or waith on them I'd be happy to pay the usual monthly subscription to use them.I remembering lvling my first character so well and just falling in love with the whole game and process as if i was really there killing monsters with him.Maybe its all the female emotion but i do feel awefully sad then i think about it.i've quit again now and i'm officaly offline half a year,but yes the pull is still there and whenever i do give in and buy a game card i'm always bored still 20mins after i log on.With the failure of cata most of WoW's players have left and the servers are so empty.you'll be lucky if you see 50 players in a major city

try playing on Outland Alliance, there's no shortage of people there for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

#
    fiinch wrote: »
    try playing on Outland Alliance, there's no shortage of people there for sure

Agree x 1000 when it comes to wow server population can really make the difference, if its low server population it can be boring but a server like outland there is always something going on.

If your into pvp join horde outland :) as it can be more challenging when it comes to wpvp.

I'm currently on Doomhammer,Alliance.I'd consider transfering but its costs so much and in the long run i dont think its quite worth it

I was doomhammer horde, that server is dead and i believe has been reclassified as a new person server.

The quality of life when i left doomhammer was poor, it was very inactive by 12AM the place was a ghost town and if you wanted anything made it took ages.

If you aren't willing to pay right away I would suggest rolling a new char on outland and try that out, if you like it you can move bit by bit but i dont think staying where you are will change the quality of your game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Yeh... I honestly cant see why ppl think the game is such a life destroyer.. Iv played since vanilla and have had no problems because of wow.. Iv been a hardcore raider since wrath and have not seen 1 reprecussion from it.

What is getting u guys soo adicted that u need to give up on RL stuff?! I work, go for drinks get locked most weekends and hang out with m8's plus still raid quite hardcore.

Btw when mists hits, guys on outlands... GET THAT IRISH GUILD BACK UP AND RUNNING!

Akarinn wrote: »
    Yeh... I honestly cant see why ppl think the game is such a life destroyer.. Iv played since vanilla and have had no problems because of wow.. Iv been a hardcore raider since wrath and have not seen 1 reprecussion from it.

What is getting u guys soo adicted that u need to give up on RL stuff?! I work, go for drinks get locked most weekends and hang out with m8's plus still raid quite hardcore.

Btw when mists hits, guys on outlands... GET THAT IRISH GUILD BACK UP AND RUNNING!

I think when it comes to games like MMO's people at one stage or other do let it rule their life until the figure out there are other things more important out there.

However i dont think that is exactly what the op was asking, she was trying to recapture something from when she played back in vanilla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

Oh yeh i realise that.

But its not possible to get that feeling of playing wow like it was something new. I remember playing it for the first time and the excitment!!! But yeh, best game i had ever played, leveling my hunter took ages and im glad it did as i got to experience the game in full.

But now adays its all about reaching the next lvl cap and gearing up, so all that excitment i once had for the game is gone, and im afraid ul never get it bck unless u play a new mmo that really kinda blows your mind.... :)

yeh its great they day a new game can make u feel,even for a little while.i'm not a very pvp orientated played and outland EU is a pvp server so i'll have to think about it.i've seen the irish guild before.erin go breagh its called i think,there was one on doomhammer as well as outland and maybe another server.There is a lot of new mmo's comming out and i'm keen to try the eld scrolls when it hits.but i'll always love WoW.even if it has pandas

Hamhide wrote: »
    yeh its great they day a new game can make u feel,even for a little while.i'm not a very pvp orientated played and outland EU is a pvp server so i'll have to think about it.i've seen the irish guild before.erin go breagh its called i think,there was one on doomhammer as well as outland and maybe another server.There is a lot of new mmo's comming out and i'm keen to try the eld scrolls when it hits.but i'll always love WoW.even if it has pandas

There is more to pvp that happens on the server and generally i find that you can get higher calibre PVE players on PVP servers because they have had to use their chars in non-scripted scenarios compared to scripted PVE.

I used to be in EGB, i think some guys have restarted it horde side but server population is still so low. Even if you are not comfortable with outland as its PVP research for a high population PVE or perhaps and RP server.

well if you never play on pvp servers and are looking for something new and exciting in the game, i would have said rolling on a pvp server and levelling would add a whole new element to the game you've never experienced before, and would be a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Martonio

I do miss the old WoW. For a while I was a serious player, I was up to date with expansions. Then I went back to college and became an irregular user and I just get lost in the game. Trying to play catch up and the fact that the scenery kept on changing with every expansion. It kind of sucks. I say that I will never get back into it though. You would want to have no real time friends or real time friends who constantly play it.

Advertisement