Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortts Pub Waterford.

Options
  • 16-06-2012 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Last night, myself, my girlfriend and two of our mates went out to see the Riptide Movement in Shortt's down in Waterford City. Nice pub and we always have a good time there.
    We had seen the band at Indiependence Music Festival and a short performance on Stephens Green in Dublin about a month ago. Talented band!
    Okay so we decided to head out to see them as they were free in at the door and we were skint. We pre drank in the house and then headed out- perfect money saving solution to our lack of riches.
    Quite merry but not twisted by any means we arrived and started to enjoy ourselves. We were dancing next to the bar when a middle aged blonde woman tipped me on the shoulder and said " Are you buying a drink?" I replied no due to circumstances I had stated previously. She then said " Well this is a pub so either buy a drink of leave". I watched in amazement as she went back in behind the bar, she worked there! She followed this up by glaring at us from behind the bar until we were intimidated to go out for a smoke.
    We wern't drunk or out of order, they would have said that straight out and asked us to leave. We were bewildered. While sitting out the back having a smoke we were approached again. This time by a man who said " Buy a drink or you will be asked to leave". I started to retaliate with the argument that it was a free gig but he said "get cheeky with me and I will kick you out". WOW.
    We sat there and decided to finish our smokes but a bouncer was already out and staring at us before we got up to leave. What the ****? Never before have I encountered such bull****. It was a FREE gig. What about those who wanted to go view the band and not drink? I understand we are in a recession and need to support our local pubs and businesses but when you have no money what are you meant to do?
    What a woeful way of keeping regulars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 lanno25

They might of been a bit blunt about it but i dont think you can expect to go into a pub and not drink, why would they even bother opening if that was the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 CurlyJefferson

So what if we were pioneers or recovering alcoholics? Would they make us buy a can of monster or a coke? They should have put a cover charge on the door so if they were gonna lose money. It's the way buisness works, you win some you lose some. You shouldnt be "asked to leave" if you didnt buy a drink and were there for the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

The free gig is used to get people into the bar and spend money in there.Fairly sure the band weren't playing for free so can't blame the pub for being abit peeved by people not spending money there and soaking up the band.Its a business after all. If you had to pay to see the band then I don't think you should be obliged to buy drink on the premises but since it was free...

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

lanno25 wrote: »
    They might of been a bit blunt about it but i dont think you can expect to go into a pub and not drink, why would they even bother opening if that was the case.

Agree with this, you arrived at a bar with beer in you, and had no intention of buying a drink !
    It's like going to McDonald's and sitting down but not ordering anything cause you already had your dinner.
    I know times are tough, but maybe save up next time, drink is not that dear in town anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I wouldn't have asked ye twice to gtfo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

you were on their premises, using their facilities, costing them money and wouldn't even buy a glass of water/beer/coke? I've gone in there to gigs many times almost broke and having had a few cans at home but would consider it cheap and stingy to walk into a pub and not pay for 1 beer. 2 cans less and you'd have had the price of 1.

It's not like going to Mc Donalds and sitting there without purchasing any food as we didn't go there specifically for the drink we went for the band. I would have rather payed the cover than be hassled to buy a drink. Why hold a free gig in a pub next time hold it in a community hall if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

It's not like going to Mc Donalds and sitting there without purchasing any food as we didn't go there specifically for the drink we went for the band. I would have rather payed the cover than be hassled to buy a drink. Why hold a free gig in a pub next time hold it in a community hall if that's the case.

Seriously? Ask a grownup to explain it all to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

OP you ain't gonna get the feedback you're hoping for here. The blonde woman you're referring to is an absolute lady and is well within her rights to ask a sponger to leave.

And that's all you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Would you walk into XtraVision or a TV shop and just watch the entirety of the film they have on without intending to buy anything? They'd ask you once and tell you to buy something or get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Avox

If you would've rathered to pay the cover, why not use the money for the cover on a pint?

You my young friend have a lot to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

So what if we were pioneers or recovering alcoholics? Would they make us buy a can of monster or a coke? They should have put a cover charge on the door so if they were gonna lose money. It's the way buisness works, you win some you lose some. You shouldnt be "asked to leave" if you didnt buy a drink and were there for the band.

Its a pub not a waiting room you cheapskate. You could surely have bought the cheapest drink they had and nursed it for an hour, the pub have the right to make at least a little money off people that come in their premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Its not a charity, buy at least a couple of cokes/pints. You could afford cans back in the house, get less cans and buy a couple of cokes next time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,658 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

WOW.. I'm honestly shocked at some of the replies here. I'm a non drinker myself and often go out without buying anything. I do maybe get a lucozade the odd time, but usually get a blackcurrant or something, and places don't really charge for that.

I would be very pissed off if I was asked to leave from anywhere for not buying drinks. I've never been to Shortts, but go to Masons, Foundry etc and have never had this problem.

Also, like the op said..If they didn't want to lose so much money..Have a cover charge!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I agree with lads im afraid OP. you could surely afford a drink each and nurse it for the night. i can certainly understand why you'd be taken back but they have a business to run. You could argue she could have been a bit more tactful granted.

Edit: very important question, where you all not drinking? Because if your mates were drinking then i do see your point to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If you were the only one not drinking, then I can understand why you are upset.

However if there was a group of you not drinking, thats a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

There is a few good points made her

But i no times are hard but likes of the Foundry make you pay i think 70c for blackcurrant and i am think its 50c in there for a glass of water they have to cover there costs

Have been to Shortts only the once will say there taste of the rainbow cocktail is something else :p.

But if i was in the boots of the girl in the bar i think with the times for in leave them in the bar because at lest it looks like you have more people in there and it might help them get more people in who might get drinks

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kitty_Ears

I was with this group last night and was fairly annoyed myself.
    Been to shorts with the same crowd many times and would always buy a grand heap of drink while there. Went in there last night and watched the band for a bit, they headed to the bathroom and when they came back we where dancing and gowling for a couple of minutes, I was in the que to buy a drink and yer one started giving out to us.
    We'd usually have at least the one while we're out unless we're too lambasted for more drink but I wouldn't like to be hassled in to buying a drink, we weren't in there all that long, was well after 11 when we got there and 1 am by the time we'd walked home.

We stayed for 45 minutes and I suppose if we stayed longer we might have bought drink. I get it now chill the **** out with big words like "sponger". Steep for the subject we're talking about. I've never experienced pub staff being so rude before, none of us have so we were shocked!
    You all make valid points and have changed my view on it- some of you.

• Advertisement

I think there should be a "one purchase minimum" sign up somewhere, for people like me and my mates to see. Just sayin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Fieldsman

'Curly' your not getting much support and you should have known.I would die with shame being in a group without buying a drink.You say your broke well I'm not surprised,try giving up them cigarettes you smoke

I think there should be a "one purchase minimum" sign up somewhere, for people like me and my mates to see. Just sayin'.

Jeysus lad, anything else you want the pubs in town to do for you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

I know you guys are probably young and didn't realise but a group of people being in a bar for 45 minutes without getting a drink is an absolute joke.

To be honest, people would take the mick out of them if they put up a '1 drink minimum' sign, it's one of those things that is, generally speaking, so obvious it doesn't require clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Kitty_Ears wrote: »
    I was with this group last night and was fairly annoyed myself.
    Been to shorts with the same crowd many times and would always buy a grand heap of drink while there. Went in there last night and watched the band for a bit, they headed to the bathroom and when they came back we where dancing and gowling for a couple of minutes, I was in the que to buy a drink and yer one started giving out to us.
    We'd usually have at least the one while we're out unless we're too lambasted for more drink but I wouldn't like to be hassled in to buying a drink, we weren't in there all that long, was well after 11 when we got there and 1 am by the time we'd walked home.

Unless you're American, 'grand heap of drink' is not the same 'usually at least the one'. The latter quotation implies this may not have been the first time ye went there without buying anything which is likely why the staff were so frustrated.

What does age have to do with it? If we were in our forties would we be asked to leave? Well obviously the sign idea aint that ridiculous because of this whole thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

I think she was a 100% right. More people should be like her. If your not going to have the decency to purchase a drink don't bother going in

AngeGal wrote: »
    Unless you're American, 'grand heap of drink' is not the same 'usually at least the one'. The latter quotation implies this may not have been the first time ye went there without buying anything which is likely why the staff were so frustrated.

Now you're assuming we do this often? No we don't actually. Hence the shock.

Fieldsman wrote: »
    'Curly' your not getting much support and you should have known.I would die with shame being in a group without buying a drink.You say your broke well I'm not surprised,try giving up them cigarettes you smoke

Yeah I did give up the cigarettes actually, smoking rollies now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Kitty_Ears

Anytime I've been in shorts I buy a grand heap of drink :L
    Usually have the 2 vodka and monster for 10e and i'd buy 3 or 4 of them.

Theres been nights where I haven't drank at all for health reasons and would only be getting water or cranberry juice (not in shorts granted) but no pub has ever given out to me for it.

I wouldn't go out with out the money for a pint though and as I said I was about the get a drink but wasn't arsed after the way they approached us. We'd be in there a lot and always buying drinks. If they're smart enough to know who has and hasn't bought a drink in a packed bar they should be smart enough to know returning customers I think.

Though ye are all right in regards to going to a pub and spending nothing, obviously they have their own overheads and I respect that. Just don't like the thought of going in to a bar and being watched and scolded in to buying a drink.

Advertisement