Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortts Pub Waterford.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Will you have to pay at least one busker, or be asked to leave?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I think the OP gets what everyone is saying now lads in fairness, time to ease off! Like they said, they don't make a habit out of it, calling them spongers is a bit much. You would think everyone went into Shortts to get polluted drunk, otherwise they wouldn't want you in there. I gave up drinking alcohol regularly about a year ago, so now if I go out at all I'll have a couple of soft drinks, €6 worth, is it worth having me in there for Shortts? Probably not... but I wouldn't like to be called a sponger, I'd still have a drink now and again, at a birthday or wedding etc. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

How your were treated may be open for debate, I don't know as I wasn't there. But its either unwritten rule or its in fact a rule but one has to buy a drink in a pub to be able to stay, whether its to watch a gig, a match or a table quiz, once you have bought 1 drink and its doesnt have to be alcohol, you can stay as long as you want even if its finished way before you leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Ah i miss making my Taste the Rainbow Skittles cocktails :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tess Tickle

Typical Irish business mentality!They should leave people be whether they buy a drink or not.These guys were doin no harm,adding to the atmosphere,adding to the crowd and would probably go back there with money in their pockets some other time.now they'll never go back and the bad publicity is going to stick,one way or another.
    A business is there for the long haul not just for the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Typical Irish business mentality!They should leave people be whether they buy a drink or not.These guys were doin no harm,adding to the atmosphere,adding to the crowd and would probably go back there with money in their pockets some other time.now they'll never go back and the bad publicity is going to stick,one way or another.
    A business is there for the long haul not just for the night.
    What bad publicity? Pretty much everyone here, including the OP now, agrees that they were 100% in the right.

Typical Irish business mentality? My arse. Typical Irish pub consumer mentality more like. Nightclubs aren't creches. Bars are not there to babysit you or provide free entertainment when you're bored. They exist to make money which they do by charging people money to suppy drink. Some people seem to take issue with business' making money though. Why don't you try running a business based on the off chance a customer might eventually come back and spend €5 (because they've already tanked up at home) and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Last night, myself, my girlfriend and two of our mates went out to see the Riptide Movement in Shortt's down in Waterford City. Nice pub and we always have a good time there.
    We had seen the band at Indiependence Music Festival and a short performance on Stephens Green in Dublin about a month ago. Talented band!
    Okay so we decided to head out to see them as they were free in at the door and we were skint. We pre drank in the house and then headed out- perfect money saving solution to our lack of riches.
    Quite merry but not twisted by any means we arrived and started to enjoy ourselves. We were dancing next to the bar when a middle aged blonde woman tipped me on the shoulder and said " Are you buying a drink?" I replied no due to circumstances I had stated previously. She then said " Well this is a pub so either buy a drink of leave". I watched in amazement as she went back in behind the bar, she worked there! She followed this up by glaring at us from behind the bar until we were intimidated to go out for a smoke.
    We wern't drunk or out of order, they would have said that straight out and asked us to leave. We were bewildered. While sitting out the back having a smoke we were approached again. This time by a man who said " Buy a drink or you will be asked to leave". I started to retaliate with the argument that it was a free gig but he said "get cheeky with me and I will kick you out". WOW.
    We sat there and decided to finish our smokes but a bouncer was already out and staring at us before we got up to leave. What the ****? Never before have I encountered such bull****. It was a FREE gig. What about those who wanted to go view the band and not drink? I understand we are in a recession and need to support our local pubs and businesses but when you have no money what are you meant to do?
    What a woeful way of keeping regulars.
    = longest definition of freeloading i've read..

reminds me of the time we had a freeloader on a househare who had a great hunger for his housemates breakfast cereals,especially the rice crispies, until one morning we heard him pouring out a mix of sawdust and used cat-litter, that was substituted for the crispies he was helpin himself to, ,the grinch moved out a week and a half later.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Op has admitted he was wrong I think this thread has ran its course.

Anyone who understands the concepts of customer care will agree the pub was wrong.
    The publicans had the pitch to themselves for long enough.
    In todays world only the intelligent ones will survive.Not much intelligence in this thread unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Anyone who understands the concepts of customer care will agree the pub was wrong.
    In todays world only the intelligent ones will survive.Not much intelligence in this thread unfortunately.

haha I love when stupid people try to sound intelligent by being patronising. Happens all over internet forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

And what would you know about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

pot-kettle-black.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

To be a customer.....you must buy something

I seem to have rattled a few cages with my last post. The dungbrains are so predictable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

it seems the only customer care here would be from the off licence as they did'nt purchase in shortts so therefore they aint customers but freeloaders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I seem to have rattled a few cages with my last post. The dungbrains are so predictable!

Great post :rolleyes: Really added to the debate we've got going here. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Great post :rolleyes: Really added to the debate we've got going here. :mad:

Yes he/she is oh knowledgeable one we should all bow to. I wish he/she had just joined the thread a few pages earlier and he/she could have clarified the concepts of customer care for us.

Advertisement