Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual Incident - Cliff Walk / Coast Path - Women Please Read

Options
  • 16-06-2012 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

At approx 11:55am Saturday 16th June 2012 a man exposed himself to a lone female runner on the Greystones to Bray cliff walk / coast path, approx half way between The Grove (level crossing) and Windgates Path.

The semi-naked man jumped out from dense bushes as the female runner had passed by, he shouted out and as she turned around he performed a sex act on himself, in a state of undress and arousal.

The Guardi were called and a statement has been taken and a description given.
    Details are approx: Adult male 6' tall, slim wearing a grey t-shirt. He was then seen running back across the farm land (see Google map) with only the t-shirt on. He was not wearing underwear or jeans / trousers at any time during the incident. If you have seen a partially clothed male in the area please report to Greystones Guardi.

I would advise always having a fully charged mobile, ready to call the Guardi.

Please where possible run with a buddy. The female involved is a local woman and luckily the pervert ran back into the bushes and no physical attack occurred.
    https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=53.169171,-6.078283&hl=en&num=1&t=w&z=17

MODS Note: I have all the facts about this incident - not a hoax. DM for details if need be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I would advise NOT to encourage the man by taking photos of him exposing himself.

This was the advice given by the Guards, to be used as potential evidence if at a safe distance from the person. Remember the coast path has no CCTV,

At a safe distance being the best advice I suppose. I would not start fooling around with the phone though - a good memory snapshot could be enough and time might be better spent actually calling the guards while jogging away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Removing oneself from a potentially dangerous situation should be the priority here, not taking action which potentially increases danger. Bad Garda advice imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Rasmus wrote: »
    At a safe distance being the best advice I suppose. I would not start fooling around with the phone though - a good memory snapshot could be enough and time might be better spent actually calling the guards while jogging away.

Absolutely, please excuse me being a bit short with folks, but the incident has involved someone close to me and we are in shock.
    She did the right thing and ran to safety and called the guardi, so my point is anyone lone running, during the summer evenings or Saturday mornings at 5 mins to midday..be aware of your own safety please.

Post edited about images, I'm not going to get into an argument about evidence and images, the point is BE AWARE when lone running AT any time. Obviously there is a pervert using the coast path at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

There should be CCTV there thats a disgrace its no wonder incidents like this can happen undectected and where are the guards out on the beat,they should be..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What's the coast path? Is that the cliff walk?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

What's the coast path? Is that the cliff walk?

Yes, please see Google Map link in my OP for exact location, should be a pointer on map. OP title edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Thanks for the heads up but this can happen anywhere. It won't prevent me from taking that walk - we would never leave the house if we lived in fear. I'm sorry for what your friend saw though - horrible.

My advice would be that if you go anywhere solitary you let someone know. Phone coverage can be limited - Glendalough being a case in point. I don't walk there anymore after being followed by a known predator. The cops were amazing and picked me up (and him). BUT, I lost phone coverage for a while and it was scary. So if you do walk somewhere potentially solitary just let someone know and check in you are back.

Safe and happy walking ladies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

There should be CCTV there thats a disgrace its no wonder incidents like this can happen undectected and where are the guards out on the beat,they should be..

CCTV and a garda patrol on a path in the middle of a field?

CCTV and a garda patrol on a path in the middle of a field?

Yeah - don't think that's feasible at all

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aynneone

I live in the last cottage in Ennis Lane at the railway gates and had seen the squad car there on Saturday morning, but there must have been some further activity later on in the day as two cars, marked and unmarked came rushing down on Sat night and 6 Gardai headed down the path to the sea and surrounding fields. I have to say, cant fault the Gardai around here and the Community Guard, it would be more than impossible to put any sort of surveilance up on the Cliff Path itself, I walked it last night, but then again have a big wary German Shepherd for company!!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

I'm not sure exactly when, but approx 1 month ago my Mam & her friend came across this man too. It was at the top of the path that skirts the Bray Golf course heading up from the roundabout by the Radisson.

They walked up the path & when they got to the top he was lying spread eagle masturbating in a place where they would have to see him. I think it was in the entrance that track that heads off to the right/south there, instead of heading up towards the top.

209337.PNG

When they were walking up behind them on the pathway was a couple, a man & a woman. Further on up at the cross they asked if they had seen him but they hadn't. They reckon he was using his position to spy for females alone or in pairs and then he would situate himself where he could get a reaction & when he saw the man he got out of there.

It's such a shame because although my mam will continue to walk with friends I know she has definitely been put off walking the dog alone over this. She did contact the police at the time and give a description etc but it is clearly impractical to install cctv all over the hills or have gardai criss crossing it either. I suppose all we can do is be vigilant and pass on details to the authorities & hope they get on top of it.

I remember when I was abroad studying, girls from part of our circle telling of this happening to them while sitting out in the sun in city parks, a guy coming right up looking for a reaction. It's just one of those things that as a guy you never even consider having to contend with something like this when going for a nice stroll with the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

Something like that would terrify the living daylights out of any woman, and yeah best advise is to get away from him by best means possible and call guards when at a safe distance. Advice on taking a quick photo etc can be irrelevant when some poor girl is in a state of panic. your safety is most important first, and let guards search for guy. CCTV in an isolated area is good and well but also a place a nutter like that won't get seen breaking a camera.

Thank you all for your kind words, I'll pass them on to her.

She does take a fully charged phone, and we agree route in advance and stick to it! You would think at 5 mins to Midday last Saturday would have been a lovely time to go running!
    From what we can work out, the man had been 'watching' her from a distance for some time and as it was obvious she had no running partner or large dog, she sadly became his target.

There had been women runners on same part of the path a few minutes earlier but they had dogs with them, so he waited hidden.
    It was obvious from his 'physical state of play' that he had been planning the exact moment to leap out for some while. The Guards said the bushes showed signs of movement etc, so he was obviously picking his target and a lone female runner was it.

The Guards did arrive but took some time as the squad car at the time was out towards Newtown MountKennedy, saying that when they did arrive they were absolutely fantastic and walked a long way to the 'crime' scene on foot. They kept her calm until I arrived and took her the very short drive home. By this time she was starting to go into shock, with blurred vision.

Sadly my next task is to repair the mental damage that has been done, she's more shaken up by the fact he was stalking her, than the actual sex act he was performing!
    She's now no longer prepared to run the cliff path alone at Midday on a bright Saturday, how fecking sad is that. What a world we live in.

I'm a man and sometimes I despair of the whole lot of us.

I'm not sure exactly when, but approx 1 month ago my Mam & her friend came across this man too. It was at the top of the path that skirts the Bray Golf course heading up from the roundabout by the Radisson.

They walked up the path & when they got to the top he was lying spread eagle masturbating in a place where they would have to see him. I think it was in the entrance that track that heads off to the right/south there, instead of heading up towards the top.

When they were walking up behind them on the pathway was a couple, a man & a woman. Further on up at the cross they asked if they had seen him but they hadn't. They reckon he was using his position to spy for females alone or in pairs and then he would situate himself where he could get a reaction & when he saw the man he got out of there.

It's such a shame because although my mam will continue to walk with friends I know she has definitely been put off walking the dog alone over this. She did contact the police at the time and give a description etc but it is clearly impractical to install cctv all over the hills or have gardai criss crossing it either. I suppose all we can do is be vigilant and pass on details to the authorities & hope they get on top of it.

I remember when I was abroad studying, girls from part of our circle telling of this happening to them while sitting out in the sun in city parks, a guy coming right up looking for a reaction. It's just one of those things that as a guy you never even consider having to contend with something like this when going for a nice stroll with the dog.

Sounds very much like the same person, I'm glad to hear it got reported. The potential to become a much worse crime is always there I think in their sick minds so we need to make the gardai aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

terrible to here this, i walk the cliff walk occasionally, I'm a man and just to let you know ladies if you were to run into me and tell me this happened to you, I'd spend the rest of the day hunting *him* down <<<snip>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Electronicus Digitalis

What an epically hilarious comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bearh72

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Rasmus wrote: »
    Ripped straight from Boards!

As was the Bray People report also. The more people are aware of these happenings the better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dunphus

This guy was out again today. My mother was just walking the cliff walk and she bumped into two girls coming the opposite direction (towards Greystones) who warned them about your man jumping out at them, he was running off through the fields in the nip at the time and the girls pointed him out. Needless to say my mother turned around and went back to Greystones and warned anyone they met on the way back.

The girls that the guy jumped out on continued on to the garda station but I felt there would be no harm in posting here so that people are aware.

Hopefully someone will get a better look at his face or have a mini-cam on their baseball caps.

Might be worth copying this thread URL into the Greystones / Bray running/walking forums too.
    Glad to hear the Gardai were informed.

We did receive a victim response letter from Greystones Gardai, so please keep the genuine reports going into them.

Thanks for the warning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭2 Hell and Back

Cant believe this guy is still doing this.

Any idea what age this guy looks like?

I do a fair bit of jogging up bray head and on the cliff walk, see the odd dodgey looking bloke. Will pay more attention now.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

Surely the Gardai could fix this if they sent a ban garda or 2 up in plain clothes around the reported times. Its been going on for months!

Cant believe this guy is still doing this.

Any idea what age this guy looks like?

I do a fair bit of jogging up bray head and on the cliff walk, see the odd dodgey looking bloke. Will pay more attention now.

Hi, without seeming rude, having spoken to the victim she said by the time you see him, he is nude and up until then well hidden in the bushes.

See my OP post for the Google Map link to the location of out incident. Marked by a green arrow.

My theory and partially support by physical evidence is that he hides in the fields just south of the Windgates dead-end cliff road (Sorry for not knowing proper name) and watches for solo runners.

As per my OP post, the victim in this thread had shortly passed 2 males runners and a single female runner with a dog.

Victim was far too shocked to get an idea of age but would guess at 5'10" maybe in height and on the skinny side. Wearing grey / pale blue t-shirt. Naked from waist down.

I've also spotted items of adult clothing close to the location of attack in the bushes and cliff fence, never paid attention at the time but does make me wonder if he dumps his clothing before the attack and runs off afterwards naked.

From the Google map there is tree cover all the way across the fields back to the Rathdown Down road.

As I mentioned just scroll to my OP of this thread for all details, attack now over 2 months ago so bit sketchy, without digging out the Garda report copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jack_edson

Disgusting - thanks for the warning. I'll let my partner know not to walk up that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

the problem is as I've said before any girl will high tail out of there as they should and least of their worries is catching look of guy. The only way of catching him is if a bloke is with them but then he won't jump out. He's only doing it when he knows he can get away with it. he does need to be caught and it's really something the guard are going to have to somehow sort out.

Guy is deranged, we don't know if he's dangerous but possibly could be. It's a great walkway and a sicko like this shouldn't be allowed ruin it for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

IanL wrote: »
    the problem is as I've said before any girl will high tail out of there as they should and least of their worries is catching look of guy. The only way of catching him is if a bloke is with them but then he won't jump out. He's only doing it when he knows he can get away with it. he does need to be caught and it's really something the guard are going to have to somehow sort out.

Guy is deranged, we don't know if he's dangerous but possibly could be. It's a great walkway and a sicko like this shouldn't be allowed ruin it for people.

I don't walk it anymore. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14 boopadoopadoop

I recently stumbled across a number of posts relating to the man exposing himself to female joggers. It seems to have been going on for quite a while now. I noticed the last reported incident was around august 2012. I was wondering if there has been any news on this? Has the pervert been caught?

The idea of walking that way, not knowing if he has been caught or not, makes me uncomfortable (even if im with my 3 dogs!).

Any replies on this would be greatly appreciated :)

• Advertisement

Boop I removed the bold from your post. It can be considered shouting.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement