Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian-friendly pesto

Options
  • 16-06-2012 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

I was dining in Tribeca in Ranelagh the other night and I was pretty underwhelmed due to the scarcity of vegetarian meals available on the menu. It seemed that they were trying to misguidedly appease the veggie punter by including a lot of non-meat dishes that included basil pesto but I presumed that they were unaware of pesto's non-vegetarian components. It set me thinking though (regrettably, after I had left the joint) that perhaps their kitchen-made basil pesto was indeed vegetarian-friendly and maybe these meals would have been suitable (however, the lack of 'V' signs anywhere on the menu meant that I couldn't discern this for myself). Fortunately, there were two options available that I could plump for but I should really have enquired on the night.

Similarly, I purchased a supposedly 'vegetarian-friendly' pizza from M&S that also contained basil pesto. I presumed that an established brand such as Marks and Sparks would hardly mislabel their food but is there a chance that I'm wrong? I can appreciate how rennet-containing cheeses might elude public awareness as it's suitability as a vegetarian-friendly foodstuff isn't as readily identifiable as, say, a great hunk of meat, so how cautious should I be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Stompbox wrote: »
    I was dining in Tribeca in Ranelagh the other night and I was pretty underwhelmed due to the scarcity of vegetarian meals available on the menu.
    Very true... but their omelettes are amazing. If you're that way inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

I had the omelette actually, it was... okay, I guess. The almond financier I had for dessert on the other hand, bellissimo!

Advertisement