Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

History degree

• 16-06-2012 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭

Where, for the majority of students, would a degree in History bring you? (eg TCD)

The course itself looks incredible but the future prospects related to the degree looks grim. From what I can see a degree in History is well regarded and general job prospects are good- with colleges and graduates claiming the same level of employment as other degree's. But seems that employment after a degree such as History lies outside the sector in completely unrelated areas.

Sure, if you're going to stick to History for third level, why on earth would you want to be employed in a position unrelated to it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

If you don't have your heart set on a specific career path, do whatever degree will interest you the most and don't worry about jobs afterwards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

History won't be taken off the JC course any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭iliketwixbars

It is non compulsory. Always has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

You can always combine it with something else if you're really worried about job prospects!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

Thanks neil and bella.

While I'd initially have to agree, I still couldn't bring myself to do a course in which I was unsure of the prospects, It would be nice to know if there was a strong career path associated with History.

I'd much rather do it pure then with another subject, however I could do it with Classical Civilisations.. but that's just an idea I'm throwing around :)

And spurious- I'm sorry but I don't know what you meant.

• Advertisement

I still think you're worrying for no reason.

Look at the amount of people who studied something like architecture a few years ago. They would have gone into their course very sure of their employment prospects, only to graduate into a climate where jobs were very scarce.

You can never be sure of what the employment situation will be after your degree, so do something you like, something you'll be good at, and then worry about jobs later. If you enjoy the subject and perform well in your undergraduate, doors will open for you later on.

For example, many people are currently studying on the graduate medicine courses, having done arts degrees. I know a girl who got a degree in Psychology, did a Masters in Finance and now works as an accountant. I know someone else who did Film Studies for her undergraduate, then did a Masters in Psychology, and is now a Psychologist.

Your degree is not a life-sentence to a certain area so if you think you'll enjoy the course, do it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Can I ask where was that Masters in Psychology ?

InReality wrote: »
    Can I ask where was that Masters in Psychology ?

TCD afaik, but there are loads of places you can do a Masters in various different types of Psychology with a good honours undergraduate degree.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

F9Devil wrote: »
    And spurious- I'm sorry but I don't know what you meant.
    Sorry F9Devil.
    An earlier poster had stated that History was being taken off the Junior Cert., which is obviously untrue.
    They then deleted their post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭F9Devil

Ahh ok :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The greatest boon studying history at third level will give you is a much deeper understanding of the world around you ... its past, sure, but the present as well, in that history teaches you to search out the patterns of behaviour, to identify the motivations of both the principal actors and the general populace, to seek out the (likely) linkages between cause and effect.

A good history degree will also teach you excellent research and analytical skills, and hone your written skills; historians tend to be *very* pernickety about the written word, for obvious reasons.

The most obvious route for the history graduate is obviously into academics at third level or at second level, but this only covers a small proportion of history graduates.

Journalism was always a very popular choice among historians, given the skillset alluded to above, and many of the best journalists were graduates of history and / or politics. Nowadays, degrees in journalism or media studies produce many of our modern journalists, but remember that these primarily study the mechanics of journalism and of the media rather than teaching people to critically interrogate the world around them. Personally, I believe that a degree in history / politics / sociology perhaps followed by a postgrad in media / journalism was and is a far better route, and produces far better journalists, but I admit I'm biased! :)

Traditionally, many history graduates entered the civil service; many also became librarians, worked in heritage, etc. etc. Many solicitors and barristers took history in their undergraduate degree. Tbh, you will find historians almost anywhere, usually in posts which require high levels of research / analytical / presentation skills and a mind for patterns and effects.

Though some have chosen less obvious paths ... Sacha Baron Cohen (aka Ali G), presenter Jonathan Ross and the chairman of the company who make Durex condoms are all history graduates! :pac:

Advertisement