Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are diesels more efficient in city driving now?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

More like Swiss Tony "making love to a beautiful woman" is like buying a new Skoda VRS. First you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

vectra wrote: »
    Until you own a car over a decent period of time that has DPF and DMF and you have experience of their plus and minus points I wouldn't be Ar$ed even wasting time discussing it with you.
    But how can you discuss it either seeing as you haven't owned a car over a decent period of time? 2 years and 23k kms is nothing. Nothing should fail in that period, no matter what the car or in many cases, no matter what the driving style. (apart from maybe a few teething failures that are frequent enough in new cars).

Until you own a car over a decent period of time that has DPF and DMF and you have experience of their plus and minus points I wouldn't be Ar$ed even wasting time discussing it with you.

.... lol, vectra doesn't like the answer he would have to give :pac:
    I had a DMF equipped Mondeo as a company car before you knew what one was ;)
    BY your own qualifying criteria you should stfu, tiny mileage on your trolley, owned for 24 months, a lot of experience you have, running in and out of so called well respected mechanics to arm yourself with comebacks to genuine posts. YOu probably have the poor lads head wrecked :pac:
    If you're so mechanically sympathetic and considerate to your car it wouldn't eat tyres :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    But how can you discuss it either seeing as you haven't owned a car over a decent period of time? 2 years and 23k kms is nothing. Nothing should fail in that period, no matter what the car or in many cases, no matter what the driving style. (apart from maybe a few teething failures that are frequent enough in new cars).

My last car is a daily around the city. I sold it with 26k kms on it. The car now has 65k kms on it and not a bother. just regular servicing / maintenance.

How does that sound to you?
    RoverJames wrote: »
    .... lol, vectra doesn't like the answer he would have to give :pac:
    I had a DMF equipped Mondeo as a company car before you knew what one was ;)
    BY your own qualifying criteria you should stfu, tiny mileage on your trolley, owned for 24 months, a lot of experience you have, running in and out of so called well respected mechanics to arm yourself with comebacks to genuine posts. YOu probably have the poor lads head wrecked :pac:
    If you're so mechanically sympathetic and considerate to your car it wouldn't eat tyres :pac:

Sorry bud but if you are thinking stupidly you appear to forget that I was in Baghdad while you were in Dads Bag :D

I have many miles done on diesels. Probably more than you will do in a lifetime.

As for front tyres on my car?

Proves you know SFA about them.
    Go visit Briskoda and witness for yourself what mileage drivers get from them.
    OH
    Sorry.. You drove a mondeo and Rover. You would probably try to prove them all wrong :rolleyes:

My last car is a daily around the city. I sold it with 26k kms on it. The car now has 65k kms on it and not a bother. just regular servicing / maintenance....

Probably on its original tank of diesel too... ;)

OH
    Sorry.. You drove a mondeo and Rover. You would probably try to prove them all wrong :rolleyes:

you drove a Mondeo yourself ;) appear to forget? Is it common knowledge or something, very many complete and utter f tards spent years out there.
    Being in baghdad before I was born does nothing to enhance my opinion of your intelligence, common sense or fluidity of decent debate, if you don't like a question you don't answer it, you misread posts repeatedly, ignoring or not understanding the points people make, I genuinely reckon its the later too.
    I have owned and driven more than rover and a Mondeo as you well know so we'll add that comment to the many other retarded ones you have made lately.
    I'm well aware you're old, 10 plus years ago you were no spring chicken the last time I had the pleasure of you're company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

23k kms? Isn't your car a 2011 car? There's far more than short trips on that engine!

Coming on 2 years old now and sold :D

Just a quick point.

23 000 km/730 days = an average of 31.5 km per day.

Hardly just short trips like you claimed.

The OP was looking for advice for someone who will be doing about 3 000 or less per year, or less than 10 km per day of city driving.

Hybrid all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

P.C. wrote: »
    Just a quick point.

The OP was looking for advice for someone who will be doing about 3 000 or less per year, or less than 10 km per day of city driving.

Hybrid all the way.

there was op somewhere here too? :eek:

sorry, i got distracted by the BATTLE OF TITANS here! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

My last car is a daily around the city. I sold it with 26k kms on it. The car now has 65k kms on it and not a bother. just regular servicing / maintenance.
    All cars should be trouble free up to this mileage - even without maintenence.
    OP - small petrol gets my vote. Hybrid might be too expensive and I don't know about residuals.

BostonB wrote: »
    Probably on its original tank of diesel too... ;)

Don't be ridiculous
    it must surely be on it's 5th tank by now :D
    RoverJames wrote: »
    you drove a Mondeo yourself ;) appear to forget? Is it common knowledge or something, very many complete and utter f tards spent years out there.
    Being in baghdad before I was born does nothing to enhance my opinion of your intelligence, common sense or fluidity of decent debate, if you don't like a question you don't answer it, you misread posts repeatedly, ignoring or not understanding the points people make, I genuinely reckon its the later too.
    I have owned and driven more than rover and a Mondeo as you well know so we'll add that comment to the many other retarded ones you have made lately.
    I'm well aware you're old, 10 plus years ago you were no spring chicken the last time I had the pleasure of you're company.

Never did have a Mondeo Diesel, It was petrol.
    Different car altogether.. or don't you remember?

I actually met you..!! :eek:

Jesus spare me :pac:
    P.C. wrote: »
    Just a quick point.

Hybrid all the way.

Not accurate maths there at all.

During the period Oct 2010 ~ April 2011 I clocked up 15k kms on it.
    Now my it has 23,650 kms on it
    Do the maths there again please from mApril 2011 ~ July 2012.. You might be more accurate there. Or were you just making assumptions as other are doing?
    cadaliac wrote: »
    All cars should be trouble free up to this mileage - even without maintenence.
    OP - small petrol gets my vote. Hybrid might be too expensive and I don't know about residuals.

60 odd thousand and not issues??
    This does nothing but back up my statement to the OP
    If the Parents are only trotting around I dont think they would ever clock up 60k ,,, Do You??

• Advertisement

...60 odd thousand and not issues??
    This does nothing but back up my statement to the OP
    If the Parents are only trotting around I dont think they would ever clock up 60k ,,, Do You??

Yes 70k miles in 10 or 11 yrs on a 1.0 Petrol. Last year it needed a starter and two shocks. Other than that regular servicing. Failed advisory last year on the front indicators. They'd never been changed from new and had faded from orange to clear. Oh and battery a few years back, which tbh I don't think it need as we discovered a cracked terminal connector afterwards. One rear light when someone broke it. Don't think it ever had anything else.

How does that sound to you?
    Not great still! 65k kms is still small.
    Sorry bud but if you are thinking stupidly you appear to forget that I was in Baghdad while you were in Dads Bag :D

I have many miles done on diesels. Probably more than you will do in a lifetime.

OH
    It doesn't matter who's dad was in what bag, DMF's and DPF's are only recent additions. So back before the big snow of '64, no-one knew or cared what they were!

Not great still! 65k kms is still small.

again,
    How long do you think the OP's parents would take to clock that amount?

again,
    You seem to be missing exactly that point.... far longer, which is why it's a bad thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Ah Jaysus vectra would you just give it a rest at this stage.

No disrespect to you but you're a total diesel fanboy.

Diesel is not suitable for the OP's parents, end of story.

You may argue that you've had no trouble and you know plenty of people who managed fine too, but we all know someone somewhere who had no problems or whatever when we're trying to prove a point.

I tend to trust the opinion of posters here who are mechanics and deal with modern cars on a daily basis. It's hardly a conspiracy theory against diesel engines or something!

Thankfully the majority of posters seem to realise this. We've given the OP our opinions on this - it's up to him/her to advise his/her parents on what to do now.

again,

Never. Apparently they'll burn out the DMF towing things in the country before that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

BostonB wrote: »
    Never. Apparently they'll burn out the DMF towing things in the country before that point.

surely they will be constantly carrying a full tank of diesel, which comes with the car for the first 5 years too ffs. you know how much KGs is that! :eek:

surely they will be constantly carrying a full tank of diesel, which comes with the car for the first 5 years too ffs. you know how much KGs is that! :eek:

No No..
    They have counteracted that now by removing the spare wheel :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

OP has asked for this thread to be closed as he believes he asked a simple question and it has descended into a farce.I would agree with him.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement