Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is this castle/abbey?

Options
  • 16-06-2012 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

This castle is in the intro for The Amazing Race and it has been bugging me for ages about what / where it is. There is a river towards the bottom of the screen that you can see if you watch the intro on youtube.

Any ideas about what castle or abbey it is? I'm not even sure if it is in Ireland or the UK.

TARaus-INTRO-caps0820-Copy.jpg

Thanks heaps

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Is it just the image quality that makes it look like CGI ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I think so. It is a screen grab from the intro of the tv show. All the other famous landmarks they show in the into are real, so I have no reason to believe this one isnt.

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Just a guess but looks a lot like Ross Errilly Friary in Headford, County Galway, to me..
    There is a river beside the abbey.

http://www.abandonedireland.com/Ross_Errilly.html

Thanks ROC. I've just been looking at pictures of it and I dont think it is as Ross Errilly has 'double peaked' walls (dont know what else to call them!) and I can't see any on the one in question. It's a good guess though and you have also shown me a place I didn't know existed and must now check out as it looks beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 kroisis

Which season intro is this from?
    Also, in which country was this broadcast?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Looks very like Quin Abbey, in the village of Quin, Co. Clare, around 6 miles from Ennis, maybe from a different angle than the pic below... Well known ruin, loads of info on Google... Has a river runining beside it as well...

quin+abbey+from+distance.jpg

kroisis wrote: »
    Which season intro is this from?
    Also, in which country was this broadcast?

Thanks.

It's from the amazing race australia season 1 & 2 but i think it has also been in the more recent intros for the american version as well.
    Looks very like Quin Abbey, in the village of Quin, Co. Clare, around 6 miles from Ennis, maybe from a different angle than the pic below... Well known ruin, loads of info on Google... Has a river runining beside it as well...

quin+abbey+from+distance.jpg

I don't think it is Quin Abbey. I live in Ennis so i know it well. Quinn abbey is to developed with paths etc, plus the graves which are not in the pic above unless the pic above is very old (which i wouldn't have thought). Plus i'd call it more a creek or stream that runs past and in the you tube clip it is def a river - i had to watch it several fimes to realise the castle/abbey wasn't actually on the edge of the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 richban

May be Rosserk Friary in Ballina with River Moy in foreground (out of picture) - large rose window reminds me of Rosserk anyway and detail at top of crossing tower

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

richban wrote: »
    May be Rosserk Friary in Ballina with River Moy in foreground (out of picture) - large rose window reminds me of Rosserk anyway and detail at top of crossing tower
    I reckon that's it.

• Advertisement

I was thinking that was it as well, especially with the large river. Then i saw this pic of Rosserk Friary http://www.gsi.ie/Education/Sites+Walks+Field+Trips/Rosserk+Friary.htm

And the tower is on the edge closest to water (to my eye any way) whereas in the pic of the original one, the tower is on the far side of the building away from the river.

But another great ruin for me to go and check out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 richban

also because mountain in background really looks like croagh patrick which is very far away from ballina but you see it from all over the county

Although as i keep looking at it, i think it is Rosserk Friary and its just the angle that makes it look like the tower closer to the water. If you look carefully at both pic there seems to be remains of a chimney (?) that is on the right of the orignal pic and the left in the one i have linked, which would sense given the angles they were taken from.

Mystery solved i think!

Thanks. :D:D

richban wrote: »
    also because mountain in background really looks like croagh patrick which is very far away from ballina but you see it from all over the county

Ahhh i was wondering what that mountain was

slide_000001.jpg

slide_000002.jpg

slide_000003.jpg

slide_000004.jpg

slide_000005.jpg

slide_000006.jpg

slide_000007.jpg

slide_000008.jpg

slide_000009.jpg

slide_000010.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosserk_Friary

Rosserk Friary is a friary located in County Mayo, Ireland located north of Ballina on the west side of Killala Bay.

friary_sat.png
    (Edit of a satellite image grab from Google Maps)

Points of note:

1. This wall extending into the water is clearly visible in our fly-by.
    2. Approximate path of the fly-by.
    3. Trees visible behind the structure in the fly-by.

In addition the buildings seen behind the structure in the fly-by are visible further out in the map.

Think you guys got it! :)

...Now I have that "The Amazing Race" theme song stuck in my head permanently.

Dang, that's a catchy bit of orchestration, eh?

Thanks, lol :)

Advertisement