Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

St. John the Baptist's Bones discovered?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I didn't see any word of this here so I figured I would mention this. Apparently St. John the Baptist's bones may have been discovered.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/06/15/mysterious-bones-may-belong-to-john-baptist/?intcmp=trending

This is a wonderful find and the dating does seem to point to it more than likely being his.

Theres a programme on Nat Geo about it next week I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    I didn't see any word of this here so I figured I would mention this. Apparently St. John the Baptist's bones may have been discovered.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/06/15/mysterious-bones-may-belong-to-john-baptist/?intcmp=trending

This is a wonderful find and the dating does seem to point to it more than likely being his.

Theres a programme on Nat Geo about it next week I think.

Thanks Galwayguy. I'll keep an eye out for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'm tempted to dismiss any documentary of this sort if it's aired on stations like National Geographic. Rarely do they not look for sensationalist spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm tempted to dismiss any documentary of this sort if it's aired on stations like National Geographic. Rarely do they not look for sensationalist spin.

Really? I always find their programmes very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Programme starting in a few minutes (8pm) on Nat Geo. Sky 526

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

The relic industry was big business in the Dark Ages and Medieval period.
    Just because a reliquary or grave or whatever has "This contains St. John's remains. Honest. I wouldn't tell a lie!" written on it does not necessarily mean it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

That always worries me when I watch a programme on National Geographic on any other subject. I find myself thinking, "I wonder if this is as ill-informed and poorly researched as their programmes on religious themes?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

He was hardly a saint before his bones were discovered right?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

did they find his head? icon11.gif

also, as well as radiocarbon dating should they not be looking for signs
    of decapitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

dvae wrote: »

of decapitation.

Good call there dvae.

There were many Saint Johns back then. It could be St.John the Apostle, it could be St.John Cassian. It could be anyone. I think its a bit sensational to look and then say ''It says St.John on the stone, it has got to be St.John The Baptist''.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

dvae wrote: »

of decapitation.

Twice. I'm tempted to paraphrase Oscar Wilde but, Im sure you all did in your heads anyway ;)
    http://www.johnsanidopoulos.com/2010/02/after-beheading-of-holy-prophet.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

weren't all believers back then referred to as saints...... Pauls letters refer to "all the saints"

cannonisation is a later thing.....

so a box could well contain the bones of a bloke from that era called John who was a believer and therefore a saint.

as to whether they have any mystical powers?

my brand of Christianity doesn't really go for that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

weren't all believers back then referred to as saints...... Pauls letters refer to "all the saints"

cannonisation is a later thing.....

so a box could well contain the bones of a bloke from that era called John who was a believer and therefore a saint.

as to whether they have any mystical powers?

my brand of Christianity doesn't really go for that stuff.

Maybe they are the bones of St. John.. Maybe they are not..

It doesn't change anything. Faith in Christ does not require us to believe this anyway.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

PDN wrote: »
    That always worries me when I watch a programme on National Geographic on any other subject. I find myself thinking, "I wonder if this is as ill-informed and poorly researched as their programmes on religious themes?"

The answer to your question is yes, or at least it was in the case of a programme I saw which revolved around the question of whether humans could mate with monkeys. The science was brain meltingly bad in it.

So yes I don't take anything they do at face value, even if it's entertaining.

Advertisement