Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Left hand strain

Options
  • 16-06-2012 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

This is a weird one.
    Have been playing comfortably for a long time.
    No recent injuries or anything, but lately I find my left hand feeling uncomfortable and sore when playing barre chords in particular.

I'm wondering if it could be from going to the gym perhaps as you tend to use a lot of grip strength, but I don't know.

For example today I haven't exercised since Wednesday and have been playing around for about 20mins on the guitar but have had to stop as the strain is just too uncomfortable.

Anyone got ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Sounds like it could be related to the gym exercises, though grip is not a factor ( at least should not be) in playing the guitar. Has this problem only started since going to the gym ?

My advice is to stop going ( or ease up a lot on the exercises) to the gym for a while and rest the hand. Dont play either. After a couple of days, try playing and see if there is any improvement. You are right not to play through any pain. It will only make things worse.

So IMO, complete rest for a few days. If there is no improvement, it would be prudent to see a doctor or physiotherapist.

When you do get back playing, try warming up and down (the latter is especially important) with gentle stretches before and after a practice session. Search You Tube for "warm up stretches for guitar".

Hope you are back playing soon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

a touch of tendonitis by the sound of it.

worst case scenario is carpal tunnel syndrome.

either way, if it doesn't clear see a doc.

I know its a hammer to crack a nut sort of solution, but I have a couple (OK 4) fanned fret instruments in my stable.

it involves less rotation of the wrist to play barres down at the nut end of things and I find its a lot more comfortable to play for long periods of time.

why?

OK. with out a guitar, look in a mirror and mime playing a barre chord on the 9th fret. your barre finger is vertical, right?

now mime playing F.

look in the mirror.

your index finger isn't vertical any more is it?

totally aside from all the string gauge and tension shenanigans, THIS is the reason I have my fans.

on 5 string bass, one acoustic, one archtop and a tenor guitar.

oh yeah, and people keep coming up to me after gigs to tell me that my frets are "wrong":P

Must get round to a family pic of this lot some day......

did I mention I made 'em all myself?

P1010013.jpg
    DSCI1452.jpg
    Picture606.jpg
    Picture325.jpg

Advertisement