Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the most Petrol you've 'Stolen'

• 16-06-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Was filling the car up earlier and lost concentration and it went to €50.12. Went into the shop and only got charged €50. :D

Has anyone ever tried to push their luck on this and whats the furthest you got without having to cough up.

I'm tempted to try for 20 cent the next time in a game of petrol pump attendant roullette...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Was filling the car up earlier and lost concentration and it went to €50.12. Went into the shop and only got charged €50. :D

Has anyone ever tried to push their luck on this and whats the furthest you got without having to cough up.

I'm tempted to try for 20 cent the next time in a game of petrol pump attendant roullette...

Ya bum, I only ever stay under the 5c mark...

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭AngeGal

Well done, your family must be so proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I put €20.01 in one day. The woman at the counter insisted I give her the €0.01. I had 2 20 euro notes on me at the time...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

This never ends well :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

clip clop, the high horse brigade are coming for you OP

Any minute now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

The trick is to put it in a fiver at a time. That way you can hit them for the extra few cents 10 times over instead of just once with the €50 fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭R.F.

I am a professional car thief. So technically I have stolen gallons of petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I've never stolen any. Have gone a few cent over the odd time which the attendent didn't charge me for. Only when paying cash though, always charged me the extra when using the debit card.

None :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Carrying €50 worth of petrol? Rookie mistake. Wait untill you've stripped out the heavy carpet and excess seats, then'll you'll really see some weight-milage savings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭diabloro

€30 one day totally by accident. I just forgot, but when i remembered on the way home I wasn't honest enough to go back and pay them ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Its impossible on some pumps not to. If I have a £20 note and want to spend it on petrol and the pump stops on £19.98 I don't want the 2p change so I have to give it another squeeze. That squeeze is about 5p the way prices are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Its a fairly pointless exercise IMO. For the record, I always try to stop at the amount I'm getting. You'd find the odd stingy place that would ask for the 1 or 2 cent or so when you get it.

On another petrol related topic , I hate it when people talk about getting petrol in a particular station because its 1 cent cheaper or whatever, despite the fact it is out of their way. I used to try and explain that any potential extra fuel they are getting would probably be used getting the particular station, but now I don't bother anymore..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Its a fairly pointless exercise IMO. For the record, I always try to stop at the amount I'm getting. You'd find the odd stingy place that would ask for the 1 or 2 cent or so when you get it.

On another petrol related topic , I hate it when people talk about getting petrol in a particular station because its 1 cent cheaper or whatever, despite the fact it is out of their way. I used to try and explain that any potential extra fuel they are getting would probably be used getting the particular station, but now I don't bother anymore..
    Just fill it up and pay by laser. Hassle free option!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

AngeGal wrote: »
    Well done, your family must be so proud.

Oh jesus whisht up will you

Anyway, most petrol stations I visit charge the exact amount. Even if I dont give them the extra few cent they ask for it. I was once asked for 1c :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

irish-stew wrote: »
    I've never stolen any. Have gone a few cent over the odd time which the attendent didn't charge me for. Only when paying cash though, always charged me the extra when using the debit card.

The EFT system doesn't allow you 'knock off' the extra cent or two. If it does, then you have to split the bill between cash and EFT which is a hassel.

As for the cents, depends how the till is counted at the end of the night. Most places count the 1c and 2c in the drawer as blanket €3 regardless of whether there is 50c in there or 5€. It's quicker than counting 200 odd coins.

Given an average of 100 transactions an hour, a till could be €1 down an hour. After a nine hour shift that makes for €9, that could, depending on the employees contract, come out of his petrol pump employee pocket. This is mitigated by the method of counting above.

Employees that have been there for awhile will have plenty of ways to make up the loss and will know how to split the bill.

TL,DR 1c or 3c is o.k but you're taking the piss past that.

(Source - working in a petrol station for three years of university)

Zonda999 wrote: »

I'm guilty to that to some extent but more in the way that I avoid the more expensive ones to try and hurt their profits and if I'm driving past a cheaper place I'll throw in a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

They let me away with one cent, two cents and I'm being charged. I've got it down to an art form at this stage, and you can usually drain a bit out of the nozzle after the pump stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I've got the fastest trigger hand in the west. 20.00, 50.00 on the dot each time.

I just drive off without paying, though.:pac:

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    and you can usually drain a bit out of the nozzle after the pump stops.

This! Youd get a good quarter of a glass, maybe more if you just leave the nozzle drain after you release the handle and it doesnt add onto the price gauge. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Don't think I've ever been charged for overfilling. Though I've never gone over by more than 5c afaik. Tbh, if somebody tried to charge me 1-2c for overfilling, I just wouldn't go back there again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

do you have fake regs aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

mikemac1 wrote: »

Any minute now

And here it comes.

Just be honest and try get it as close to the mark as you can Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

There is an really gullible old lady where I fill up and never checks how much I put it and always takes my word for it,usaully get two euro extra when she is working :D

My mum was at one of these pay before you fill places. Had to queue for ages to pay. Then the pump didn't stop. She went back in to pay the extra 20p but the queue was bigger so she left. Someone ran out from the shop shouting about her stealing petrol.

My mum took the head off her shoulders infront of everyone to make it clear that she was not stealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I usually try get it spot on but it's obviously getting harder. Most garages don't charge the extra cent if I go over in my experiences.
    Last time I got petrol I just left it at 19.99.
    They should change the system so that we type in the amount we want and it cuts itself off really at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I was asked for 4 cent extra that I had gone over on 30 euro last week.
    "And 4.." She said. I thought she meant the pump number so I told her I was on six. She could have been a bit less smarmy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

got a couple of euro on one before. Only had a €20 note on me, filled up to 20 and went in to pay. Turns out I was looking at the litre dial :o. As I said, only had a €20. He let me off :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Don't think I've ever been charged for overfilling. Though I've never gone over by more than 5c afaik. Tbh, if somebody tried to charge me 1-2c for overfilling, I just wouldn't go back there again.

TBH if I was ever asked for 1c 2c etc I would honestly tell the person to sue me for it then give them the e20 etc for my petrol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

I work in a petrol station part time. Had a drive off of 180 euro last night according to the night shift staff.

The van pulled in, began to fill up....

Never came in!

I also feel like a total sap asking every one for petrol or diesel but the amount of people who forget is crazy.

I work in a petrol station part time. Had a drive off of 180 euro last night according to the night shift staff.

Never came in!

I also feel like a total sap asking every one for petrol or diesel but the amount of people who forget is crazy.

Its fine. Every petrol station asks these days. My friend works in a petrol station, and he apparently the staff get into deep shít every time someone drives off without paying. The boss sounds like the biggest cúnt going though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Now this may seem a little crazy, but I just pay what I owe.
    Ludicrous I know, but what you goina do?
    That's just the way a roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Now this may seem a little crazy, but I just pay what I owe.
    Ludicrous I know, but what you goina do?
    That's just the way a roll.

Sucker

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Its fine. Every petrol station asks these days. My friend works in a petrol station, and he apparently the staff get into deep shít every time someone drives off without paying. The boss sounds like the biggest cúnt going though.

I heard of a place that asks staff for the money when there's a drive off! My advice to the guy was to make his own rule that one his shift its prepay only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The garage owner doesn't get much per fill up. Maybe 5 - 10c. The rest goes on tax and the fuel company. So don't resent the owner over the price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Schism wrote: »
    I put €20.01 in one day. The woman at the counter insisted I give her the €0.01. I had 2 20 euro notes on me at the time...

I had the same thing happen to me. I had no loose change in my pocket . I had another €50 in my pocket and thought its madness taking i cent out of it..so I went out to the car and rummaged around to find the 1 cent on the floor and brought it back into her.

A week later I was back there and put €19.99 in. I had the pleasure of asking her, where's my 1 cent change ?:D

Are we allowed name and shame the Garage on here?

General I try to keep it right, but anything over 4 cent I always offer up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

I know a guy that has a filling station and makes 3 cent per litre. The profit comes from the shop not the fuel, which is there to draw people to the shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

A couple of stations in Ennis charge you if you go 1 cent over....

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭rxan90

I usually try get it spot on but it's obviously getting harder. Most garages don't charge the extra cent if I go over in my experiences.
    Last time I got petrol I just left it at 19.99.
    They should change the system so that we type in the amount we want and it cuts itself off really at this stage.

Yup, when I was in Greece, this is the way it is done, there are buttons marked 5, 10, 20, 50 and you press how much you want and it stop it at that amount. :D

Hal1 wrote: »
    The garage owner doesn't get much per fill up. Maybe 5 - 10c. The rest goes on tax and the fuel company. So don't resent the owner over the price.
    I know a guy that has a filling station and makes 3 cent per litre. The profit comes from the shop not the fuel, which is there to draw people to the shop.
    Would you stop. The first ever conviction for cartel behaviour price fixing in the EU was made against the garages in Galway. Those lads have no difficulty skinning their customers and staff and no shortage of foldin' money either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

margins on fuel are about 10% - its the shop that makes the money, the fuel just gets customers in, much like cigarettes.

margins on fuel are about 10% - its the shop that makes the money, the fuel just gets customers in, much like cigarettes.
    Which at €2 for a medium fillup is about 60 times greater than what the other two were claiming. Come on lads get the story straight in advance so ye don't get nabbed by the EU.

Again.

Which at €2 for a medium fillup is about 60 times greater than what the other two were claiming. Come on lads get the story straight in advance so ye don't get nabbed by the EU.

Again.

I worked for a company that installed the billings and POS systems for shops and petrol stations - the margins were 9% and 11% for petrol and diesel - can't remember what was what though. That margin is just the fuel itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

mikemac1 wrote: »

Any minute now

first time ive ever seen a thread like this, but what do ye mean "high horse" :confused:

surely no one actually thinks it would be ok to do this?
    ye wouldnt go into a shop and just take 5 penny (cent??) sweets, would ye?

I worked for a company that installed the billings and POS systems for shops and petrol stations - the margins were 9% and 11% for petrol and diesel - can't remember what was what though. That margin is just the fuel itself.
    Its such a wide variance from what the other two were claiming is my point. Besides the margins on other goods sold aren't that much higher. Retail isn't about high margins, its about selling a lot of small stuff. Big ticket items are all about the margin.

Its such a wide variance from what the other two were claiming is my point. Besides the margins on other goods sold aren't that much higher. Retail isn't about high margins, its about selling a lot of small stuff. Big ticket items are all about the margin.

Their prices may have a pump jockey involved. I'm 100% sure on this though, i set up a fair few systems back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I remember my first petrol pumping experience. Right from the get go I immersed myself into the procedure: I adopted the customary leaning position, one arse cheek gently placed against the exterior of the car, the other exposed to the evening air, before pressing the petrol trigger with such confidence and gusto that any observer would be led to believe that I was an experienced practitioner of petrol pumps. As I waited for the measure to hit the €30.00 mark I exchanged a knowing look with a fellow petrol user as if to say "yes, that's right, I, too, am a man filling up his vehicle with petrol". However, this brief distraction proved costly as it led me over the thirty euro mark - I was two cent over. I remained calm though, registered my debt with solemnity, and made my way over to the shopkeep. Predictably, the shopkeep did not mention the two cent, but keen to pay my debt I coughed up the two cent, thus alleviating myself of any possible crisis of conscience. I basked in the fulfilment of my duty as a consumer, smiled at a passing baldman and returned to my car, completely satisfied with myself. Later on I realised the irrelevance of it all and went through an existential crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I worked in a petrol station in college and the owner used to take the difference out of my wage packet if the petrol sheet didn't match up at the end of the night. For that reason I'd never steal petrol, its the poor shop assistant who could suffer. If I go over my intended total by accident I pay up the extra few cents without question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Never came in!

Stopped at a filling station in New Ross today and noticed they have an automated recording that says "Any petrol or diesel ?" every time the till is opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

event wrote: »
    first time ive ever seen a thread like this, but what do ye mean "high horse" :confused:

surely no one actually thinks it would be ok to do this?
    ye wouldnt go into a shop and just take 5 penny (cent??) sweets, would ye?

Completely different situation. first of all in your scenario you're not paying for anything. If I was paying €20 in a place I wouldn't mind a 5c sweet on the house?

But the above is open to debate. The reality that if you put €20.05 into your tank, it's assumed you didn't mean to, therefore the shop might be a bit sound and let you off. To use your sweet analogy, if you went into a shop and dropped €20 on something, then on your way out you bumped into a stand and a 5c sweet fell off and you stood on it. How would you feel about the shop hounding you for that 5c? You, like every sensible person in this world would probably tell them to hit the bricks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement