Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Immigrating

Options
  • 16-06-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all ,
    Am emmigrating from Ireland to Canada in September with my partner and son..
    Moving to Calgary thats where my partner has a job starting as Electrician.
    Would anybody recommend any particular neighbourhoods or schools.? Our son will be 11 in October and really want to pick the right area its very hard to pick a school without being there..
    Was looking at some areas in NW and SW ... Any help would be great ??:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sunnymilo

hi .did your husband a job with unitech in calgary ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Carla M

Hi,
    Yes he did get a job with Unitech .. Have you got a job with them??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Carla M wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yes he did get a job with Unitech .. Have you got a job with them??

Hi Carla,

have a look in here for all info on Calgary.

Calgary Click me

Hi ciaran thanks a mil i will check it out ..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lellie

Hi Carla

myself partner and son are also moving to canada from dublin . my partner is heading in 4 weeks then i will follow in september he is going first to sort out somewere live and sort the school for our son we are heading to edmonton. i got some usefull info from the company that could help www.eips.ca is the site for the schools you just enter were ure looking for and it will give u the list of schools that are in your area also www.kijiji.ca this is for looking for property to rent were your going again just type in the area it can give u an idea in pricing and stuff. If u are planning on doing some shipping access baggage is a good site they dont go by the weight they give u the boxes u desire and the sizes and they tell you to pack them very tight to get more in so you pay by the box.

Hope this can help you gud luck:)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info lellie thats excellent ill be looking up those sights later on.. Big move isn't it how is your son looking forward to moving??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lellie

danielles my name just have me user name as lellie ha:) my son is only 5 so dont think he really understands properly he keeps telllin my mam its grand nanny we will drive up to visit u on saturdays bless he should ajust quickly coz hes still young! yea its a big step alright exciting scary stressful all the 1 really but looking forward to it i lost my job dec my partner jan so we have nutin here we have to do something do yous have an area were yous know yous are headin my partners sister is heading to saskatchewen its just so big over there also have family in vancouver but there a good distance from us how are you getting on with everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 IrishInCalgary

Check also rentfaster.ca We've been here in Calgary just over a year and our preference is the NW of the city.
    There are lots of good areas and only a few bad-ish ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

lellie wrote: »
    Hi Carla

myself partner and son are also moving to canada from dublin . my partner is heading in 4 weeks then i will follow in september he is going first to sort out somewere live and sort the school for our son we are heading to edmonton. i got some usefull info from the company that could help www.eips.ca is the site for the schools you just enter were ure looking for and it will give u the list of schools that are in your area also www.kijiji.ca this is for looking for property to rent were your going again just type in the area it can give u an idea in pricing and stuff. If u are planning on doing some shipping access baggage is a good site they dont go by the weight they give u the boxes u desire and the sizes and they tell you to pack them very tight to get more in so you pay by the box.

Hope this can help you gud luck:)

If you are lookig for good areas in Edmonton I would recommend the west end as the best area of the city. We are living here since December nice quiet neighbourhood close to transportation links and good schoos in the area.

The estate we live in is called Elmwood
    we had been living down town the year before and the difference is unbelievable in quietness and cheaper accomodation
    if you have any other questions about edmonton feel free to send me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JuliaAbbott

Hi,
    We're in Calgary since April. Came with my husband and teenage son. We checked out the school on a previous visit and were so impressed, he's very happy so far - St. Mary's High School on 18th Avenue. If you've got an academically focused child, they have an International Baccalaureate program, which runs alongside normal curriculum. It's excellent. Since we enroled him, we actually heard great things about it from people we work with who sent their kids there, so we knew we were lucky with our choice. I think the elementary school connected to it is St. Monica's. You should have a look at the CSSD website for Catholic schools. We weren't particlularly looking for a Catholic school, but as far as I understand it, they generally have a better reputation than secular schools. If you do apply to a Catholic school, you'll need your child's baptismal cert, and maybe something to prove either of his parents is Catholic, baptismal, communion or confirmation cert.
    As far as renting goes, we are renting an apartment downtown, that is what we suits our situation for now. If that is what you're looking to do in the short term, I can probably give you some information on what we saw and in what areas. If I was to look in the suburbs, personally, I'd go SW or NW. NE is the place to avoid I'm told. Have a look at the LRT map, and get a feel for where that goes as well. They are extending the line that runs downtown, to the west in the coming months, so that is worth a look. Of course it depends on where your place of work will be.
    What areas were you looking at exactly?

• Advertisement
Advertisement