Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pound shop in Lisduggan?? what happened?

Options
  • 16-06-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭

Saw this shop was ready to move into are they not coming now?

and how about ICELAND no sign of them?

Also anybody know anything about Musgraves? they had planning permission up outside WATERFORD RETAIL PARK on the outter ring road the place that was built there but never opened only for the Lidl warehouse sale.?

Whats happening to all these businesses that were bringing jobs and money to waterford?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

They're not coming because there are no jobs and no money in Waterford.

The obsession with retail on these forums is just baffling. Retailers won't setup anywhere until there's a solid industrial / manufacturing / R&D workforce already in place.

People need to wake up to this and stop obsessing over Marks and Spencers and feckin' Brown Thomas (Not you, OP - you make a good point ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I thought Dealz or (whatever they're called) are moving in this August?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They are on their way according to the News and Star this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

they were too expensive, realised we wouldnt cough up a euro easily

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

musgraves are definitely moving to waterford retail park but not for another few months,they need some alterations to the building plus moving logistically wil take time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I have mentioned in the jobs thread that i have an Interest in Dealz going into Lisduggan and due to various Legal issues (that i won't go into) the new date for opening is indeed the 8th of August. Hard to know how accurate this is due to the delays already.

I have heard a few rumors about Iceland below by Eddie Rockets but for the moment i think they are still supposed to open in the coming weeks/months.

i haven't heard anything about musgraves so i won't comment on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i have business dealings with dealz in there gorey store, excellent set up everything €1.49 some great deals to be got in there and will do well in waterford, the gorey store is cleaning up and people travel from arklow and surrounding areas just to get there branded stuff there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭eimearos

Iceland are delayed, opening in August

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

...People need to wake up to this and stop obsessing over Marks and Spencers and feckin' Brown Thomas ...

I couldn’t agree with this more. The obsession with M&S particularly in Waterford is unreal. Mark my words if M&S opened here tomorrow the novelty would wear off in about 5 seconds as they are nothing special when you look past their image and marketing. I don’t care what anybody says M&S don’t sell anything you cannot already get in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I agree, but I would like to see a small food M&S that opens till 7pm to keep workers in Waterford city after 5:00. Ever been in the one in Mary ST in Dublin between 5 and 7:30? Its like the whole population forgot to buy diner for 6:00pm.

I think that would really add a buzz to the city after work, except if you have to collect kids from a creche obviously!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Marks and Spencer arriving, if they do it properly (ie not like Clonmel) would send a message to others that Waterford is not beyond repair and worth investing in. Its not the shop itself that's so important then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Don’t get me wrong I have nothing against M&S or them setting up in the city centre. As wmpdd3 said it would bring life to the city centre. I just object to this notion that we need to get them here at all costs. We have to be very careful that our desire to create jobs and bring in new retailers does not cloud the fact that putting them in the wrong location would be extremely damaging to the city centre and be counter to what the city council and others are presently trying to be achieved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

Back to the original topic.

Are Dealz not coming now? I've heard reports of opposition from Heatons and Tesco (might not be any truth in that).

As far as i know, tesco have no objection to them at all, which is odd as they would be competition. I think tesco just want increased footfall.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    As far as i know, tesco have no objection to them at all, which is odd as they would be competition. I think tesco just want increased footfall.

When all I said and done If I can link to it I'll run through what has gone down. It's really infuriating.

TBF to Tesco they know competition happens and everyone of their stores has to put up with new shops opening at some point. Tesco looks on Dealz like Dealz looks on me selling shiit at a car boot sale. Believe me Tesco aren't worried about them. Now, I honestly think in 5-10 years Dealz might be a player because they are so easy to setup and they are going to expand big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

I am surprised at all the resentment over M & S, it is without doubt a feather in the cap of Clonmel, it is not large but boy does it create shopping interest, and you might knock the prices but the quality is brilliant.
    At least everyone else has Tesco, try kilkenny, no M & S, no Tesco, no Debenhams, and a lot of over priced stores, thank goodness for Penney's and our old favourite Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Anybody know if they are building any other shops out by Tesco Ballybeg?

I know they laid in ground works on the gravel area and thats suppose to be the are for a credit union and a pharmacy?

I saw a guy measuring up there does anybody know anything?

Maybe i should start a new thread on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

I am surprised at all the resentment over M & S, it is without doubt a feather in the cap of Clonmel, it is not large but boy does it create shopping interest, and you might knock the prices but the quality is brilliant.
    At least everyone else has Tesco, try kilkenny, no M & S, no Tesco, no Debenhams, and a lot of over priced stores, thank goodness for Penney's and our old favourite Dunnes.

Hon foxy boy... hows the aldi situation? Any decision yet?

dealz gorey only relys on footfall as parking is terrible down there and there making a killing there believe me they have over 30 stores open and more to come and will make a dent as there selling all the brands for less than the competition

I don't think they have 30 open to be honest it could be more 12-15. They are planning on having 30 stores open in the next 12 months if I recall correctly.

but your right. They are making big gains, the one in Cork is doing quite well too.

• Advertisement

The website looks great but I've never been in one, what is the difference between dealz and Buylo? And more importantly, do they do much baby stuff?

The website looks great but I've never been in one, what is the difference between dealz and Buylo? And more importantly, do they do much baby stuff?

Very Simply Dealz is better. Much much wider range of products and better value for the most part.

I have only been in the cork shop but they have 6 bays(bay is 4ft of wall space) of baby stuff. So quite a bit. Seemingly the real value is in their cosmetics and household.

Thats more like it, 24 ft of baby, thats more than supervalue!

buylo mainly sell bulk items where as dealz sell household brand names at discount prices

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

So are these opening o what, doesnt look like it, was over there today and all the units had Sherry Fitzgerald To Let signs on it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Dealz is open now in Athlone, brilliant store. Very like the Euro Stores, probably a bit better. Much better than BuyLo - more stuff in it for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

^^^^^^^^.
    Thank's Sully,I pissed my pant's laughing at that,on a dreary monday as well.Nice one:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Any news on musgraves moving yet ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Unit looks ready in the Six Cross Roads, well more ready than a few months ago. They put up a new fence within the complex and another gate to make it extra secure. Its got security on sight and signage is up on all the units its using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Moving all stock from Keanes Road to Kilbarry next Saturday/Sunday...

The new store opens next week - Monday the 17th! ;)

Advertisement