Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women enjoying a drink in the pub alone.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

mikemac1 wrote: »
    What I hear in the office the mornings after the staff nights out mainly

The wimmins love to discuss everything with their girlfriends

They sound like a right bunch of cows if I´m honest. Would never talk about a fella that way unless he was actually being a creep...and that doesn´t depend on their looks, it depends on whether they´re actually acting creepy. Some of the creepiest men I´ve ever encountered have been lookers.

And I´ve heard the very same conversations among men btw. Hell you even get it here in AH! Men commenting on women´s looks. Wouldn´t presume it´s the majority and it says a huge amount about the individual. Not worth wasting your time on those types.

VEN wrote: »
    the 'some' not the 'all' women remember, so please don't try to 'manipulate' my words to make yourself look cool, you're not good at it.

theres nothing intense about my posts, 6,000+ posts is intense.

Ye wha? As I said, don´t want to argue with you anymore. Peace. :)

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Some of the creepiest men I´ve ever encountered have been lookers.

Are you talking about dogging here?
    If so, i agree.:)

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Are you talking about dogging here?
    If so, i agree.:)

Can´t beat a spot of the auld doggin´.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Here's an anecdote for you, I was in a pub last night and there was a pissed up bloke in a very bad mood, nursing a broken arm and a whiskey. He attempted to sit at a table where two women (mother and daughter) were enjoying a drink. They told him to please leave. He sat beside another guy and proceeded to make everyone nervous - shouting down his phone to his wife. Alternatively pleading with her and threatening her. He left to buy cigs, the mother and daughter got chatting with the guy he'd sat beside and he eventually came over and had a laugh with them. Meanwhile, 2 other women sat where the pissed bloke had been. He came back and they lasted 5 mins before moving elsewhere.

At this stage there was a wide space around the pissed bloke and I glanced at the sign on the pub door "we serve drinks, not drunks". Evidently not last night. Anyway, cut to the chase - the mother and daughter left but not before the daughter and nice chap had swapped numbers :)

Gosh only knows what happened to mr bad vibes but sometimes it can be almost essential to have a pub nutter around...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

How does he know that though? Has he actually attempted to approach any? I really doubt it. His female friend he mentions sounds like a bit of a spa, tbh. Wouldn´t call her representative of me.

Have you py2006? In a public place I mean....

No I haven't to be honest and I don't think I ever would, especially a random stranger on the street. Strangers approaching strangers on the street is a dicey one. Potentially it could be an attacker or pick pocketer so you can understand women (especially) being uncomfortable with it.

That applies to men too btw. Man gets chatted up by ugly bird he has a laugh about it with his mates....good looking girl, he boats.

Even you will have to admit that those situations are extremely rare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

py2006 wrote: »
    How does he know that though? Has he actually attempted to approach any? I really doubt it. His female friend he mentions sounds like a bit of a spa, tbh. Wouldn´t call her representative of me.

Have you py2006? In a public place I mean....

No I haven't to be honest and I don't think I ever would, especially a random stranger on the street. Strangers approaching strangers on the street is a dicey one. Potentially it could be an attacker or pick pocketer so you can understand women (especially) being uncomfortable with it.

A man could be a pick pocketer in a nightclub too. Also you aren't a pick pocketer i assume so she'll be fine.

A shopping centre is better IMO. Also by the same reasoning it's dicey to ask for directions or the time as you could be a pick pocketer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Jesus you sound like a right barrel of laughs! I was joking. You sound very intense.

In fairness your jokes are not in the least bit funny. You're like a kid poking a bee hive with a stick, waiting for a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Most of my drinking mates have either emigrated or have girlfriends so I find myself going out drinking on my own in town on a Friday or Saturday night a lot more recently.It's quite weird,I've been approached by way more women in the past few weeks when out drinking by myself then I've ever been when out with a group of my mates!

Maybe some girls find a lad sitting at the bar drinking by himself less threatening then approaching a group of us,whatever it is I'm not complaining anyways!

• Advertisement

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    In fairness your jokes are not in the least bit funny. You're like a kid poking a bee hive with a stick, waiting for a response.

Yes you would say that, wouldn't you having been the butt of one? ;) (got a few thanks if I remember correctly) Luckily it's only you and your two stooges who agree. :-)

And they were light-hearted comments because this is AH. Not trying to be funny but to rid this discussion of us v them mentality that some posters always bring into this.

Nothing I said prior to VEN implying I was easy was unfair. Have a read back if you don't believe me.

Nice passive aggressiveness there py2006 with the thanks. Whatever your problem is with me, I'd appreciate you'd report me instead. Very brave :rolleyes:

Even you will have to admit that those situations are extremely rare.

If you read the the rest of my post, that's exactly what I said....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

old hippy wrote: »
    Here's an anecdote for you, I was in a pub last night and there was a pissed up bloke in a very bad mood, nursing a broken arm and a whiskey. He attempted to sit at a table where two women (mother and daughter) were enjoying a drink. They told him to please leave. He sat beside another guy and proceeded to make everyone nervous - shouting down his phone to his wife. Alternatively pleading with her and threatening her. He left to buy cigs, the mother and daughter got chatting with the guy he'd sat beside and he eventually came over and had a laugh with them. Meanwhile, 2 other women sat where the pissed bloke had been. He came back and they lasted 5 mins before moving elsewhere.

At this stage there was a wide space around the pissed bloke and I glanced at the sign on the pub door "we serve drinks, not drunks". Evidently not last night. Anyway, cut to the chase - the mother and daughter left but not before the daughter and nice chap had swapped numbers :)

Gosh only knows what happened to mr bad vibes but sometimes it can be almost essential to have a pub nutter around...

That drunk guy sounds like a great wingman :cool:

Yes you would say that, wouldn't you? ;) Luckily it's only you and your two stooges who agree. :-)

Nice passive aggressiveness there py2006 with the thanks. Whatever your problem is with me, I'd appreciate you'd report me instead. Very brave :rolleyes:

Relax Eve, I was only joking. :p See its not nice when the jokes are aimed at you are they?

Relax Eve, I was only joking. :p See its not nice when the jokes are aimed at you are they?

What joke? You're going to have to explain that one. And no, it's neither nice nor not nice. I'm fairly neutral about them tbh as it's AH.

If you have a problem with me, report me. Female posters are individuals with our own opinions....not one collective hive-mind.

:rolleyes:

Anyway, I would love to hear from more women who enjoy going for a drink on their own and their experiences...

What joke? You're going to have to explain that one. And no, it's neither nice nor not nice. I'm fairly neutral about them tbh as it's AH.

If you have a problem with me, report me. Female posters are individuals with our own opinions....not one collective hive-mind.

I never said anything to the contrary. My joke is as much of a joke as your joke about the price of milk. :rolleyes: If you're going to be dishing out that sort of stuff you have to be able to take it. And I'm not affiliated with any stooges. I'm an individual too. You're making a mountain out of a mould here.

I never said anything to the contrary. My joke is as much of a joke as your joke about the price of milk. :rolleyes: If you're going to be dishing out that sort of stuff you have to be able to take it. And I'm not affiliated with any stooges. I'm an individual too. You're making a mountain out of a mould here.

It's mole hill....

I can take your "jokes". As I said, I'm completely impermeable to your wacky sense of humour. No problems.

Edit: the milk comment was making the point that your comment on whether the guy was handsome or not or sound or not or all these "what ifs" you put in place were pointless. Every situation is different. You can't generalise or foretell on how someone would react in a given situation.

Sorry my comment hurt you so much (if it did...that wasn't my intention).

:rolleyes:

Anyway, I would love to hear from more women who enjoy going for a drink on their own and their experiences...

I do. Every time I've done it, it's been great.

It's mole hill....

I can take your "jokes". As I said, I'm completely impermeable to your wacky sense of humour. No problems.

Edit: the milk comment was making the point that your comment on whether the guy was handsome or not or sound or not or all these "what ifs" you put in place were pointless. Every situation is different. You can't generalise or foretell on how someone would react in a given situation.

Sorry my comment hurt you so much (if it did...that wasn't my intention).

You love to twist things to suit yourself don't you? First you said we were both bad at telling jokes, then you had to edit your comment to say I have a wacky sense of humour. :rolleyes:

I thought I made a good analogy earlier, and a couple of people replied to it with a proper answer, rather than just taking the piss out of it. You also felt the need to keep winding up VEN, not that I agreed with everything he said, but it just seems like you're stirring. Or maybe I'm completely impermeable to your wacky sense of humour. Who knows?

• Advertisement

You love to twist things to suit yourself don't you? First you said we were both bad at telling jokes, then you had to edit your comment to say I have a wacky sense of humour. :rolleyes:

I thought I made a good analogy earlier, and a couple of people replied to it with a proper answer, rather than just taking the piss out of it. You also felt the need to keep winding up VEN, not that I agreed with everything he said, but it just seems like you're just stirring. Or maybe I'm completely impermeable to your wacky sense of humour. Who knows?

Did you see where the discussion with VEN began? Maybe go back and have a look then get back to me and see who started the "stirring" (tenner bets you won't though...)

Taking the piss is what AH is about. It was a light-hearted comment by me taken seriously by you. I apologised if it hurt you and that's all I can do.

Your the one making a mountain out of a mole hill here now so I'll leave you to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

:rolleyes: enjoy the ride Davey!

Did you see where the discussion with VEN began? Maybe go back and have a look then get back to me and see who started the "stirring" (tenner bets you won't though...)

Taking the piss is what AH is about. It was a light-hearted comment by me taken seriously by you. I apologised if it hurt you and that's all I can do.

you started it, the twisting, like a knife, along with your buddy, into my back, 2 knives :/ manipulating it like you're doing now

you don't want to argue with me? damn right you don't!

you started it, the twisting, like a knife, along with your buddy, into my back, 2 knives :/ manipulating it like you're doing now

you don't want to argue with me? damn right you don't!

Excuse me...YOU started it. You want me to find the comment?

Your the one making a mountain out of a mole hill here now so I'll leave you to it.

I couldn't care less who started it. I'm just saying if you're going to be making those sort of comments you're going to get those sort of replys. I wasn't hurt by your comment, I was just using it as an example. I'll bow out now as I don't want to be making any mountains. Have a nice day.

Argentinian men are lovely *swoon*. Far from tosspots, believe me. I've only ever come across this bruised ago stuff in Ireland and by Boards posters. Argie men see it as fun and a bit of a game. If a man is looking for a ride (which, let's face it, that's what many, many men are looking for when they chat a woman up), which is essentially a bit of fun, then why take the chase so seriously? You're not asking a stranger to marry you, so why would you let your confidence get so knocked? It really isn't the end of the world.
    hahahahahahaha you should travel a bit more then
    I've travelled a fair bit already and to countries where men have no qualms about chatting up women and taking rejection on the chin....mainly Latin cultures.
    Varied wrote: »
    Can we swap the Irish women for the Latin wans then?!?!

:pac::pac:

I joke I joke.
    Believe me when I say, they can reject a man like no other...so of course you can if you can handle it ;)
    its all too complex and not worth it
    they're not exactly loyal though, i hear promiscuity is rife in these parts. shocking in fact. not for mise, better to be safe than sorry and all that :)
    Not sure what that has got to do with this topic though :confused:
    think of a bee, going from flower to flower, several flowers. these bees take it on the chin of course, sure why not? theres many flowers, different flowers every week. i'd hate to be the flower.
    I'm the flower and no problems so far. :)
    i admire your self respect :)
    In that my boyfriend is latin and he hasn't cheated. You're making zero sense now. Off ye pop :rolleyes:

Of course the "I admire your self-respect" comment was an actual compliment on my self-respect and not implying I've none. Oh nooooo :rolleyes:

I couldn't care less who started it. I'm just saying if you're going to be making those sort of comments you're going to get those sort of replys. I wasn't hurt by your comment, I was just using it as an excuse. I'll bow out now as I don't want to be making any mountains. Have a nice day.

Well then don't brings someone else's discussion into it and accuse me of stirring when that's exactly what he was doing.

Have a nice day.

Well then don't brings someone else's discussion into it and accuse me of stirring when that's exactly what he was doing.

Have a nice day.

Actually I don't see anything wrong in the stuff you re-posted there. I notice you conveniently left out the insulting stuff you said to him. Nicely done.

Of course the "I admire your self-respect" comment was an actual compliment on my self-respect and not implying I've none. Oh nooooo :rolleyes:
    Excuse me...YOU started it. You want me to find the comment?

Jesus you sound like a right barrel of laughs! I was joking. You sound very intense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

if i read the word "joking" one more time...

Advertisement