Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Business - Opinions/Advice

Options
  • 16-06-2012 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice if anyone is willing to share their opinion.

I have a niche internet business idea and I cant find its USP on other websites in the sector, its not a buying/selling typical website but a forum site for the sector where people can post up their pictures and other people can search to find the particular pictures they are interested in and from there further details...think a google images search..but more co-ordinated in its search approach.

The idea is part of an industry which has both successful forum and product selling based sites mainly in the UK and other bigger countries which is where I would aim it at as well.

The problem: I know my limitations and I cannot built a website, and it needs much much more than the 400euro 3-4 page typical small business site if i'm allowing people to post up pictures etc.

Q: Would it be worth going to one of the main players with just the 'idea' (e.g. one already has 2 different websites but obviously focusing on 2 different markets in the sector) and try to get them to take up the business for their software guys to develop it properly for good user functionality and for that they could take the lions share if it took off, with me working to actively promote it as I'm very interested in working in the sector anyway.

or

put some money into trying to get a relatively basic functioning site in place demonstrating how it would work and maybe gauging its interest and then trying to sell that small project for its further potential to a company in exchange for their software team support.

or

am i missing any other potential options on how to progress the idea..?

P.s they cant (or likely wudnt) simply add it to their existing site as it would be have to be a standalone website to work successfully.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

How can you be sure the people posting the pictures actually own the copyright to them and you wouldn't be vicariously sued? Waving T&C's doesn't cut it. Like Google, istock and facebook - you need a whole team of people to remove content.

I think it would be massively expensive to build the architecture of this kind of engine and without explaining the reasons people benefit from uploading, using, searching and how people would first hear about it and be attracted to it; amongst all the noise in this sector; and before its reached a critical database mass, its hard to give any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bgo1

Thanks.

Re. the copyright, its aimed at peoples own pictures of their own apparatus which the site would help other people to find by its characteristics.

Re. Benefits to user - if a buyer wanted to view the apparatus in different dimensions, additions, colours, personalizations without buying an expensive addition first and then regretting it. Also poster would post tips, where bought, cost etc. It currently doesn't exist as a stand alone site.

Re. Benefits to uploader - same as any site that allows you to post pictures of your own dog/car/house/phone/birdhouse etc People who are interested in a topic will post if given the chance and put their stamp on how/why they like it for other users to see.

Re. other attraction to users - one site encompassing all the brands in the sector and actually being used by people, which can be searched for with photos in a practical setting i.e not a small picture on site selling 100's of other items. Also people frequently upgrade and want to see what other users have before deciding to buy.

Re. hearing about the site, I would put in the groundwork re. other forums and commercial shows of which there are many in the Uk. Its a huge sector with many different elements and players and I see that as a benefit not a hindrance as I am not stepping on anyone's toes.

Re cost..I think it would be expensive too! Hence i am currently thinking why not get the idea to those who have the technical team in place doing this every day. I understand i'm only trading on an 'idea' at them moment.

Re. critical database mass, exactly the main issue to attract users to search and upload, maybe i should just start small myself and slowly build it up until i have a few 100 users and drip feed money into the project as i get it.

I keep imaging Dragons Den they would rip me up if i had no basic functioning site in place first before proposing a deal and tell me to come back when i had something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

This idea sounds very similar to http://pinterest.com/about/

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fishbun

This idea sounds very similar to http://pinterest.com/about/

You know, I really think the guy has more humble ambitions than doing a pintrest clone!

Hey OP, I read your post 3 times and still have no clue what you're pitching. It could be anything from a BDSM community to affiliate car mods store.

I think it's unlikely that anyone in the industry would be willing to run with your untested idea, but I do think it would be a good idea to get to the working prototype stage and bootstrapping it from there (or flip it or outsource the dev work, whatever).

I know you said you can't code, but I would be happy to give you a whistle stop tour of creating & uploading a wordpress forum if that's the direction you're going in. It's really just to put in place the minimum viable functionality - I can promise you your idea will change every day.

I walk you through the steps if you want, we can do it right here on boards! I'm sure if you were to commission a site it would cost an order of magniture more than you want to spend on it. If you're willing to put in the learning, I'm sure you could have it done in no time!

fishbun wrote: »
    You know, I really think the guy has more humble ambitions than doing a pintrest clone!

Hey OP, I read your post 3 times and still have no clue what you're pitching. It could be anything from a BDSM community to affiliate car mods store.

I think it's unlikely that anyone in the industry would be willing to run with your untested idea, but I do think it would be a good idea to get to the working prototype stage and bootstrapping it from there (or flip it or outsource the dev work, whatever).

I know you said you can't code, but I would be happy to give you a whistle stop tour of creating & uploading a wordpress forum if that's the direction you're going in. It's really just to put in place the minimum viable functionality - I can promise you your idea will change every day.

I walk you through the steps if you want, we can do it right here on boards! I'm sure if you were to commission a site it would cost an order of magniture more than you want to spend on it. If you're willing to put in the learning, I'm sure you could have it done in no time!

Fishbun thanks for reading it 3 times..i think i need to practice consiceness alright but iv done well on the ambiguity :D

No not quite a BDSM community lol

I'v never tryed WordPress and it does look decent but its not the direction im looking at alright, i think id like to dive straight into a normal website and continually edit and add to it so im off to find a helper/paid servant and go with the working prototype idea even if its takes a year of work and a few shillings. I know its endless work the deeper you go into it so i just hope to get to the core functionality stage and pitch it from there.

Thanks for generous offer re.Wordpress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

First thing you do is further research (of which this thread is part of). How viable is the market and revenue model? Do you even have a revenue model? If it's something like advertising, research how this works and the best approaches as well as costs. How would you market it? How much would it cost to build and market? What are the legal implications (sales tax, copyright, etc)? Do you personally bring anything other than the 'idea' to the project (existing contacts in the industry, etc)?

Then look at raising some finance for this; be it from a feasibility study, savings or investor. Getting a basic prototype is also useful, but in my experience, largely where it comes to raising funding.

The reason for the above is that otherwise, with nothing more than an idea, you'll be coming to the table in all the scenarios you gave in a very weak position; the main players can simply steal it as you don't even have a lead on them to market and anyone who doesn't can demand a much higher percentage as, ultimately, they bring a lot more to the project than you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have an idea, have the industry contacts and believe I have a good plan of how to implement it all and grow it step by step. My problem, like you is my technical ability on the website end of it. I've thought about approaching people but like the poster above says, once you give the idea away you're more or less surplus to requirements and there's nothing to stop the web developer going it alone from there.

If you come up with a solution, let me know. I'm thinking about studying privately but beyond basic static brochure websites I have no development skills so it will probably be a slow and expensive journey, neither of which is appealing. I'm hoping to pick up enough to at least get it off the ground and possibly hire in a more skilled professional after it's up and running. Not ideal but I'm not keen on taking a leap of faith and handing some one else the idea, the plan and the contacts and leaving myself without a leg to stand on.

Thanks The Corinthian.

I should say that for now, if i dont have a hells chance of helping the big boys develop it, then the title to this thread is misleading as it would be more just a labour of love than a business for me for a while.

My feasibility study is simply my interest in it over years as a hobby and i know I would definelty frequently use this site if it existed so I am simply guessing that other people with my interests would want the same, if no-one used it i would be proud to have it there sitting pretty and functioning and watching as the 19th person uploaded their pics to be perfectly honest.

Revenue streams etc i dont really care about at the moment, im not applying for a bank loan so it doesnt interest me too much. I know that basically if a lot of people use it..it will make money..like any other site and i dont need it to do that immediately.

I think 'idea' plus working prototype should get me where i want to go. I can bring that much to the project table and if i dont have the relevant software skills I only have the ability to promote/manage and thats fairly easy to put in the time when I have such an interest in the area and im already talking to people as a hobby in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I've thought about approaching people but like the poster above says, once you give the idea away you're more or less surplus to requirements and there's nothing to stop the web developer going it alone from there.
    If you were referring to me, that's not what I actually said, which was if you have "nothing more than an idea" then you'd be more or less irrelevant.

If you're in the industry in question, know how it works, have the contacts (suppliers, clients, whatever), then you are bringing something to the party other than an idea.

And that's not such a bad synergy, as the business is ultimately going to be a mix of the two; established business in a new market, both of which come with different modes of thinking.
    Not ideal but I'm not keen on taking a leap of faith and handing some one else the idea, the plan and the contacts and leaving myself without a leg to stand on.
    And what would a developer do with contacts in an industry (s)he doesn't have a clue about and you do?

I can make a pretty good pizza, from scratch, but it doesn't mean I'd have a clue what it involves to run an online takeaway - beyond the technology side of things.

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have an idea, have the industry contacts and believe I have a good plan of how to implement it all and grow it step by step. My problem, like you is my technical ability on the website end of it. I've thought about approaching people but like the poster above says, once you give the idea away you're more or less surplus to requirements and there's nothing to stop the web developer going it alone from there.

If you come up with a solution, let me know. I'm thinking about studying privately but beyond basic static brochure websites I have no development skills so it will probably be a slow and expensive journey, neither of which is appealing. I'm hoping to pick up enough to at least get it off the ground and possibly hire in a more skilled professional after it's up and running. Not ideal but I'm not keen on taking a leap of faith and handing some one else the idea, the plan and the contacts and leaving myself without a leg to stand on.

If you are unemployed, you can do a free 5 month full time website design course which includes code.

FAS also do a 10 week website design evening course for free but with not much code which i have done and thats how i know I wont get away with a low maintenance non-time consuming site and that i wont have the ability to build it fully at my level but i could potentially edit some code :D.

An idea would be to ask FAS to give your contact to graduates of the 5 month course in your area as they will be actively seeking to work on jobs and build a portfolio even in their spare time if they dont find other jobs. The FAS tutors would be more than happy to make introductions for their students benefit.

Feel free to contact me if need more info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement