Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

over charged load?

Options
  • 16-06-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

So I got my hmr back from a Gunsmith today after getting it chopped and getting one of his custom mods.
    I braved the wind and headed out for a few shots and set up a target and using a few cci bullets i had left over i said id use them to foul up the barrel a bit first, fired 4 shots grand, had the scope up full so i could see each shot fired.
    When I fired the 5th there was a bang that was louder than a shotgun and left me almost deaf for a few seconds till the ringing stopped, there was also a feeling of gas hitting me in the face.

I opened the bolt and the case wouldn't come out. My first thought was to check the mod which I did and was still perfect. I ran down to the target and all 5 shots hit in the same area.

I used a knife to get the casing out and it had cracked the end of the casing on the end from the middle to the edge on the end and about 4mm up the side of the casing.

Here's some pics of the casing, What do ye reckon? Just an over charged load?
    DSC02198.jpg
    DSC02194.jpg
    you can see straight down through the charge, I presume that's where the pressure i felt hitting me in the face came from.
    Went home to get the casing out so didnt fire another round but it doesnt look like there is any more damage.
    Is it grand to fire again?

First time something like that ever happened to me so I'm probably just way over reacting.

off i go to change my jocks..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Maybe. Is this a bolt gun or a semiauto? Assume ammo was relatively new and properly stored? If you were shooting fowling shots w/ gun just back from the smith, then your chamber was clean?

Case head splits in rimfire are not unheard of, especially in the blowback semiautos and with .17 HMR caliber. It could be the ammo, as some lots of rimfire have had this problem in the past. Given that you got some gas blowback, I would not fire again until I got the rifle checked out. Could be an out of battery fire with possibly a rifle headspace or chamber issue needing to be checked on. Regardless, hope you are wearing good eye protection. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Garv i'd get straight on to CCI you can write to Linda Olin
    CCI/Speer Technical Services
    2299 Snake River Ave.
    Lewiston, ID 83501

and sent her a picture of the case or e-mail CCI here

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/general/contact_us.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Yeah it was a bolt action and everything was clean and looks ok.

I can look straight through the crack in the casing its that big..

I'l get it looked at before I use it again just in case because shooting a right handed rifle as a lefty my whole face and eyes are exposed to the gun on the bolt side and I'd like to keep my face intact :o

I'l send them an email, thanks for the link marlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

If its a bolt gun and has been reliable with other ammo till now, its most likely this ammo. There have been problems with 17 HMR cases splitting, probably related to brittle brass. If the ammo is older and stored so its exposed to heat or elements it could go bad. The vast majority of splits in 17 HMR have been in the neck and body which often are not a safety issue. Apparently CCI makes all the 17 HMR ammo. You might get a free brick out of the deal. But if you can get the headspace and chamber checked without too much hassle then thats smart given the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Yeah it has been reliable up until now and fired the first five shots ok, only time it didn't fire was when i had 5 20gr hornady in a box not fire, they also didnt fire in another rifle though.
    its hard to see into such a small case but I think i could make out some powder clumped together in the case. The ammo is stored in my room where there is no way of excess heat,cold or dampness getting at them.

Yeah CCI make all the v-max stuff in their factory. I'll wait and see what they email me back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement