Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity Hall

Options
  • 16-06-2012 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hey guys, might be starting in TCD in September and I have a few questions about Trinity Hall :)

What are the odds of first years getting offered a modern room, and whats it like in the standard rooms?

How far away is it from the college campus, and what's the best way to travel to it? In your opinion is the commute irritating?

Is it far from anything decent? Like do ya have to travel far to get to any good bars or shops?

In terms of the accommodation itself, how many people would share a kitchen/bathroom etc?

And finally, what's life like there? Is it fun and laid back or are these infamous rules strictly enforced?

Thanks for all replies!
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Keen2win

You will get all of your answers by using the search button. Stay in halls, it's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

ivanh wrote: »
    Hey guys, might be starting in TCD in September and I have a few questions about Trinity Hall :)

What are the odds of first years getting offered a modern room, and whats it like in the standard rooms?

How far away is it from the college campus, and what's the best way to travel to it? In your opinion is the commute irritating?

Is it far from anything decent? Like do ya have to travel far to get to any good bars or shops?

In terms of the accommodation itself, how many people would share a kitchen/bathroom etc?

And finally, what's life like there? Is it fun and laid back or are these infamous rules strictly enforced?

Thanks for all replies!
    :D

1. Pretty strong I'd say, it's so pricey that I doubt there are too many people disappointed. The rooms are good enough really.

2. 40-45 minute walk. Best way to travel is by bike IMO. The LUAS is very nearby also, which is good at off-peak times.

3. Nope. There's 4 supermarkets within 10 minutes walk, there's a small shop in the residences itself, and there's a centra or something just 2 minutes up the road. There's also a peculiar little shop with some Dutch name within 30 seconds of Halls, although it doesn't sell much.

4. 6 share a pretty spacious kitchen/sitting room. 1 or 2 share a bathroom, depending on whether you have a single or twin room. Personally, I enjoyed having a twin room.

5. I really liked Halls! No ****ty landlords to worry about, so many facilities available and so much action with JCR and other general stuff going on. So easy to pay for everything. With that, the wardens are fairly ready to make sure that nobody is going too wild or impeding those people who want a quiet life. No loud parties after hours etc. Suited me down to the ground. But if you're really after complete freedom, then you'll get a way better deal than halls. But if you want relative peace and quiet at home but at the same time plenty of activities going on, and a ****load more convenience and a well-maintained apartment, then Halls is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fantine

They can be a bit dodge on how they allocate rooms, it seems to be a bit hit and miss. It is a commute irritating, I'm so happy that I only have half the commute this year, but it's definitely worth it for getting to know so many people. My personal chosen mode of transport was LUAS cos I was too lazy to walk/cycle…I'd really recommend against the bus, it's extortionately expensive and it's very unreliable in the evenings.

I'd echo Darkglasses comments on your other questions. It's worth noting that the accommodation standards and level in people in Cunningham differers from the main residences in Halls, but most people seem to enjoy it, and if you don't you can probably move apartments during the year. It's also worth noting that if you really don't get on with your flatmates, you can ask to be moved and they'll sort you out without too much hassle. Other than that, I'd really recommend it if you want to get to know people…but make sure you talk to as many people as possible, just get chatting to people in your block and around the place in the first week or two when everyone is still open to that kind of thing!

Advertisement