Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My haphazard vegetable garden

Options
  • 16-06-2012 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

So I've done the spuds thread and will keep that going until they're harvested. Thought I'd start another thread with what other veg I've chanced my arm with.

I've been burning up my PhotoBucket bandwidth allowance something fierce. I had been using an online site to reduce the pixel size of my photos but forgot to change format :rolleyes: Now I just reduce them to 800 x 600 in Paint and save as to jpeg, much better!

Back to business... I may have one or two mixed up here, I just took a few shots, wasn't paying great attention.

Tips, thoughts, suggestions welcome - I already know the place is a mess/not well prepared :D

Spring Onions...

SpringOnionsmall.jpg

One out of three varieties of carrots...

Carrotsmall.jpg

Early peas in the back two rows, Snap peas I think in the foreground - hadn't enough room to give proper row spacing, must arrange climbing frames...

EarlyPeasSnapPeassmall.jpg

Lettuce...

Lettucesmall.jpg

Beetroot...

Beetrootsmall.jpg

Perpetual/Spinach beet (whatever it's right name is...)

SpinnachBeetsmall.jpg

Kale (can't remember why I planted this, must get reading again to find out why...)

Kalesmall.jpg

God knows what'll happen with them between now and when they're eaten/die :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Personally, with all of those things except the carrots I would start them off in modules and when they are nice and sturdy little plants I would transplant them into the ground. That's not to say they cant be grown direct like you're doing. It's just that it's more risky (slugs/weather can wipe out seddlings in the blink of an eye).
    Hope you take it in the right spirit, just trying to be helpful.
    If you are sowing direct, you shold generally sow thickly and then think them out later. Some seed might not germinate or get eaten by slugs and leave gaps in your rows.
    Tips for the spring onions and beetroot, you can multisow them in modules and then plonk a clump into the ground. They will push eachother apart as they grow. So save space and you can pull the spring onions up in clumps (like you get them in the supermarket).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

:mad: Red!

:D:p

Just starting out here, so pretty much followed the direction on the seed packets :)

An awful lot seem to have germinated, was surprised, but take the point about slugs, it's slugland hereabouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

no worries. No harm to module sow some more now as a backup in case of unwanted nibblers, and also to experiment for next year.

Uh-oh, new problem this evening. I have hare tracks in my plot. Chicken wire going up around the plot tomorrow as a temporary measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 healyon

Looks good, hope you stop the hares before they eat all the good stuff

• Advertisement

healyon wrote: »
    Looks good, hope you stop the hares before they eat all the good stuff

I've (badly) put up chicken wire around the plot for now. Long term plan is for proper sturdy poles 2m high so I can put up my windbreak mesh and a fence to keep the sheep out. Might try to net the top at some stage, keep the birds out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I'm new to all this veggie growing stuff and learnt from many mistakes last year.
    This year I planted seeds directly in my raised beds and was happy to see lettuces and other easily identifiable plants coming up. Unfortunately, I could not tell what other plants were veggies and what were weeds so I had to let most things grow. I now have beds of veggies mixed with weeds.
    I am still unsure what are weeds and what are edible.
    I cannot find the name tags I put in the earth as some blew off in wind and others are hidden by weeds.
    I will definetly grow in pots first and then transplant.

I'm new to all this veggie growing stuff and learnt from many mistakes last year.
    This year I planted seeds directly in my raised beds and was happy to see lettuces and other easily identifiable plants coming up. Unfortunately, I could not tell what other plants were veggies and what were weeds so I had to let most things grow. I now have beds of veggies mixed with weeds.
    I am still unsure what are weeds and what are edible.
    I cannot find the name tags I put in the earth as some blew off in wind and others are hidden by weeds.
    I will definetly grow in pots first and then transplant.

I used stones as markers as I had loads lying about. But, what I also did was write down on my phone where everything was in relation to a specific point in my garden, so I know the order of locations where I have spring onions, three varieties of carrots, early peas, snap peas etc.

Advertisement