Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are passports so expensive?

• 16-06-2012 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I need to renew my passport sometime. Well before the year is out. But its €80. I don't remember it being so expensive when i first applied. Does the dole/social welfare help with paying for the expense of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I need to renew my passport sometime. Well before the year is out. But its €80. I don't remember it being so expensive when i first applied. Does the dole/social welfare help with paying for the expense of it?

Yep, social welfare will pay for it for you, just go in and get the form stamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It's because of foreigners and junkies. They'd be free if it weren't for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

darokane wrote: »
    Yep, social welfare will pay for it for you, just go in and get the form stamped.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Is this true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I need to renew my passport sometime. Well before the year is out. But its €80. I don't remember it being so expensive when i first applied. Does the dole/social welfare help with paying for the expense of it?[/QUOTE]

;) If you give them a ring they will hand deliver it for you and help you get priority on ryanair ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Who's paying for your holiday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

It's because of foreigners and junkies. They'd be free if it weren't for them.

Just going to post that fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

brummytom wrote: »

I am. With my savings. Are you afraid i might be spending your tax money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

PucaMama wrote: »
    Is this true?

Yep, mine is a gold inlaid passport . Just a little treat for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

He's winding you up. And don't tell the social welfare you have savings. Do they not take that into account when you get benefits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

You have enough savings for your holiday but you don't have the money to pay for your passport and want the welfare to pay?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You have enough savings for your holiday but you don't have the money to pay for your passport and want the welfare to pay?

Im not touching my savings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You can get two weeks 'holiday' payments from social welfare, so technically they are paying for your passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Except when you go on holidays.

mattjack wrote: »
    Is this true?

Yep, mine is a gold inlaid passport . Just a little treat for myself.

I was only asking as mine is expired but I need it for id. At 80euro its expensive. Havnt been abroad in about 6 years. Im no scrounger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

you can have up to €20,000 savings before the social take it into consideration I think.

If you can afford a feckin holiday you can afford a passport ffs!

brummytom wrote: »

What?

Except when you go on holidays.

Yeah, been thinking of going off to australia for a year. So don't want to be digging into my savings as it wont be long going. Especially €80 for a passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Honestly OP.

Just going by what you post on boards every single thing that normal grown up adults are able to do or comprehend by themselves you seem to have trouble with.

How are you still alive?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

But get there early to avoid the pesky queue of people getting their free driving, TV and dog licence forms stamped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

Where would our welfare class be without their annual sojourn to santa ponsa, surely the most vulnerable in society deserve a little break now and again ?

Yeah, been thinking of going off to australia for a year. So don't want to be digging into my savings as it wont be long going. Especially €80 for a passport.

So........ you're thinking of going to Australia............. but don't want to pay for a passport.................

Just......... I mean........... Ugh...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Where would our welfare class be without their annual sojourn to santa ponsa, surely the most vulnerable in society deserve a little break now and again ?

I wish they fcuking stay there, no offence Spain...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Yeah because you can totally go to Australia without paying for a passport.

Absolute b*llocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Honestly OP.

Just going by what you post on boards every single thing that normal grown up adults are able to do or comprehend by themselves you seem to have trouble with.

How are you still alive?

PMSL. If I could thank it a thousand times I would. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I think the OP is getting the reaction to their "query" that they wanted.

efb wrote: »
    I wish they fcuking stay there, no offence Spain...

Fuk Spain.

After the other night anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Its €80 for 10 years which works out at €8 a year, less than the cost of a packet of cigs (i think) or a half decent bottle of wine. Surely that is affordable.

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    Fuk Spain.

After the other night anyway.

Spain had Sitges, cock and ass on tap! Don't diss Spain

Its €80 for 10 years which works out at €8 a year, less than the cost of a packet of cigs (i think) or a half decent bottle of wine. Surely that is affordable.

Oh, it's affordable.

It's just that SHE doesn't want to pay for it! :rolleyes:

efb wrote: »
    Spain had Sitges, cock and ass on tap! Don't diss Spain

Well "tapping Ireland's ass" is one way of putting what went on the other night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Who's paying for the visa? If 80 euro is going to make a significant dent in your savigns, Aussie for a year on the same budget is a biiiiiiig mistake.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Well "tapping Ireland's ass" is one way of putting what went on the other night!

Cesc can any fcuking time he wants! And Xabi!

Yeah but its 80 all at once not 8 euro installments. If your not working its not cheap.

• Advertisement

That's cheap! I have to pay over €100 for my British passport when applying from Ireland. Its worth every penny to see the "Royal Brittanic Majesty...." message inscribed on the inside front cover. I was going to say God Bless her Royal Majesty but its pointless as i don't believe in God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I think the Israeli's might have a few , worth giving Mossad a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

OP - I'm not interested in your personal circumstances, I don't know what type of welfare you're on (disability, single parents etc) and I'm glad you've saved enough to be able to go on holiday, I hope you have a nice break. However as a passport lasts 10 years it's effectively only costing you €8 per year or 15c a week so I think you may just have to swallow the initial outlay. My UK passport cost me €168 last time I renewed it via the embassy, so count your blessings and bon voyage.

EDIT; Australia !!! there was me thinking you got a cheap week in the sun somewhere with your savings. What they all said ↑↑

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭coolhandluke

Absolute b*llocks.

What is.....that people on welfare go to santa ponza for 2 weeks and have done for the last 10 years ?

That's cheap! I have to pay over €100 for my British passport when applying from Ireland. Its worth every penny to see the "Royal Brittanic Majesty...." message inscribed on the inside front cover. I was going to say God Bless her Royal Majesty but its pointless as i don't believe in God.

If you get the Social Welfare to pay for that passport and don't start a thread about it here it will be the biggest waste of AH fodder ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Give the murderers in the Mossad a shout.

They'll do it for a few shekels.

Edit-Beaten to it. Damn!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

serosuly folks its a passport your responsibility to pay for...

I was on the dole i payed for the thing my self its not up to government to pay for everything... way i see it not doing this for the thumbs up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

You don't want to spend your own money on your own passport. Wtf am I reading?
    Sure make your own with a bit of cardboard.

Absolute b*llocks.

What is.....that people on welfare go to santa ponza for 2 weeks and have done for the last 10 years ?

That EVERYONE on benefits does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Kamjana

You are going to Australia for a year on holidays and you dont want to use your savings :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Just get the social welfare to buy you a pilot uniform and just walk onto the plane. Nobody would stop you

Its worth every penny to see the "Royal Brittanic Majesty...." message inscribed on the inside front cover.

Do you miss not seeing her image on the postage stamps over here ?

Maybe we should ask the GPO to issue a commerative stamp with a picture of her arsé on it.

So you could enjoy licking it all the more. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I can't help but reply but I know she's trolling.

She's a master.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Honestly OP.

How are you still alive?

Hahah, i just went on to have a look at the thread she starts and jesus you're right, she needs help with everything. The mind boggles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

I'm going to the Bahamas this year with my dole. Spain is for the short-term unemployed. Those noobs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement