Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

htpc upgrade

Options
  • 16-06-2012 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hi all. Last year I built a HTPC, initially for watching movies mainly but I have since added a TV tuner and am now using it as our main source of TV. The unit has an Asus e35m motherboard with integrated CPU.

Most of the time it works fine, but there are a few annoyances - picture judders when another programme starts or finishes recording, media browser is very slow to start etc. I also want to use the unit with an Xbox as an extender.

I am considering replacing the mb and adding a new cpu such as an Intel i3 2100 35watt. My questions are:
    Should this run my setup smoothly?
    Is there something cheaper that will do the job as well?
    Will this work OK with a 120watt picopsu (also have sdd, 2.5" hdd, 3.5" hdd and dvd player)

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

the HT that you get with an i3 will be wasted 99% of the time. I use a Pentium G630 in my HTPC, and its an impressive chip. you could probably get a celeron g530 and it'll be a large step up.

what OS do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

can I ask what tv tuner you are using?

I agree with T that the G630 would be better for your HTPC (compared)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I am using windows media center with windows 7. The TV tuner is a Blackgold 3595 (twin DVB t and twin dvb s2).

It's there any particular motherboard that I should use with the g630 to make sure I get good enough graphics performance? I also see that there is a g630T which uses less power (35 watt TDP), but a slower processor. Is there likely to be much difference in practice between these processors, or am I better off with an i3-2120T if I want a lower power option?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

the actual power difference between the g620 and the g620T is around 2W at idle and 4W at load. its a hell of a lot slower though, so not worth it.

both come with HD2000 graphics on chip. its not going to game, but it'll play 1080p all day long. there is an i3 with a beefed up HD3000 GPU too if you're worried, but for the price I'd just get a 6450 instead.

Advertisement