Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To all our dads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Cheers Dad. It means so much to have a good father especially for a fella, I only hope I can be as good as my Dad, big boots to fill..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Dad.

Not just a palindrome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

efb wrote: »
    i thought they killed the gays are they still around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

....especially those who are no longer with us

Here's to you Da... no one understood me much in my early 20s, they thought I was just plain mental, with all the funny faces and silly walks, till they met you and went "Aaaaah there it is!" I miss our language only you and I could speak during the really competitive family games of pontoon! My da almost died two years ago, he had massive surgeries and has been all clear for about a year now, and he's back hill walking and shooting and fishing again. We often have hellish rows but that's cause we're just so alike. Cheers Da, I'd text you today cept you'd get so confused you'd drop the phone down the toilet or something! My family never did celebrate mothers day or fathers day, mostly cause they ran a pharmacy and saw how commercial it is, but they like the acknowledgement anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Dads are great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

My dad was great when I came out, I doubt he was surprised in any way...

We don't see eye to eye the whole time, but he's always there, if I need him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

....especially those who are no longer with us

My Dad passed away 12 years ago. I wish he was still around.

But on a happier note, I'll be getting my first ever Father's Day card tomorrow from my baby daughter. So that's pretty cool.

But on a happier note, I'll be getting my first ever Father's Day card tomorrow from my baby daughter. So that's pretty cool.

Awesome! Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I love my dad, even though ive never told him that! I want to but its just never said. Hes one of my best friends and we both know we love each other.
    Hes going through treatment for cancer at the moment. So this fathers day will be great, and Im going to tell him that I love him very much! :D

EDIT- sorry that sounded terrible, the treatment is working and hes going to be fine!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yeah my Dad's birthday was on Friday, he would have been 83.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

My dad would have beaten your dad. Oh happy days.:D

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Meh

My Father is an arsehole

Meh

My Father is an arsehole

OK no father's day greeting for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Autumn Moon

Love you Dad. It may not always seem that I appreciate all you do.......but I do! You are a great power and strength that I can always rely on. Thank You,XX

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

My Dad's an absolute hero and I'm so proud of him. It's just over 3 years since we nearly lost him to a stroke, and even though every day is a massive struggle to him, he works harder than anyone I know, and keeps a smile on his face as best he can.

Keep up the good work pops, and keep making those baby steps. They all add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

My Dad's been in care the last couple of years with a form of dementia.

I sketched a picture of a boat in pencil for him instead of buying a card.
    One of my better sketch's ..

My ten year old finished it without me knowing,I've now got a funky looking drawing of a multicoloured row boat..blue,red,yellow,green ... every colour he could find.

Happy Father's Day..

Gave my dad two tickets to Madonna's MDNA concert. He was disgusted. I know what he means, its been downhill since Ray of Light...

I wanted to share something I wrote for my blog when I was 20 years old (11 years ago)... I think I'll have to share it with my dad later if he remembers how to read his emails.

THINGS I LEARNED FROM MY FATHER

The best way to get yourself in trouble with my mother is to make a
    series of funny faces.

The most deadly weapon known to man is a plastic bottle of tomato
    ketchup.

The best musical instrument is a long cardboard tube. The best place
    for making strange noises through the said cardboard tube is across the
    whole valley from the front doorstep, in or around midnight.

"Going out to play with my little car" means: "going out to rev up,
    speed away, break down five miles up the road and ring to be towed
    home, in my little car".

If you let the dog sneeze on you, you'll get quabie-quabies.

An Assenbutter is a breed of German Labrador dog.

John Player untipped cigarettes made his hair fall out.

Icecream made his hair fall out.

2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner made his hair fall out.

The Zippo lighter my ex gave him for Christmas is not only good for
    lighting cigars, but also small fires, and he's up on three accounts
    of arsen as a result.*

He once had a daughter called Lulabelle, who wouldn't eat her dinner,
    so he killed her and buried her in the flowerbed.**

"Hairy twine" is the most versatile material known to man.

It's fun to jump out from behind the car to surprise the horses.

It's even more fun to sing and dance around the house with a four
    stone Labrador across your shoulders.

If your image-conscious teenage son brings home some friends, ask
    each one in turn "Who's little boy are you?"

When your daughter brings her boyfriend home, threaten to dump him on
    the side of the main road with a cardboard sign tied around his neck
    reading "Take me to the bus please".

Never throw stones at your brother-in-law, even if he isn't looking.
    If you get caught throwing stones at your brother-in-law, blame it on
    your youngest son.

If a rented video tape gets eaten up by the machine, just cut out the
    mangled piece and sellotape the ends back together. Similiarly, if
    you happen to drop a television onto your daughter's boyfriend's
    Playstation game, glue it back together and hope for the best.

Never turn your mobile phone off. He likes to ring just to make sure
    you've got it switched on.

It's all fun and games to dress up in fur coats and balaclavas,
    parading up and down the driveway and greatly upsetting the dogs -
    until someone sets the dogs on you.***

If a small yappy dog barks at your car, roll down the window and bark
    back.

Notes:
    * My father isn't up on any accounts of arsen! Apart from the tree he
    set fire to at twelve, but he never got caught for that.
    ** He never had a daughter called Lulabelle! In this day and age you
    have to be careful - say that too often and we'll wake up one morning
    to find the police excavating the flowerbeds.
    *** I didn't set the dog on him, it was my brother. And luckily the
    dog recognised him at last second, so he wasn't savaged.

My dad
    I wish we could go fishing just one last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I wanted to share something I wrote for my blog when I was 20 years old (11 years ago)... I think I'll have to share it with my dad later if he remembers how to read his emails.

ketchup.

I can confirm both these are true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Dad

Now with added e.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Dad

Now with added e.

I shouldnt have but I did :D

mattjack wrote: »

ketchup.

I can confirm both these are true.

I didn't mention that the best time to play the cardboard tube across the valley is when your brother-in-law is trying to sleep in the room next to the front door, the same day you may or may not have thrown stones at him, and still blame the lot on your youngest.

My dad rocks, he's lucky to still be here and I'm so lucky to still have him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Hope that some day I get the appreciation from my daughter that ye all have for your dads. Looking unlikely at the moment due to lack of access.

Fingers crossed for a better future. Some day.

Happy Fathers day to my own dad! A true gent.

ronanc15 wrote: »
    Hope that some day I get the appreciation from my daughter that ye all have for your dads. Looking unlikely at the moment due to lack of access.

My ex who is still a great friend is in the same boat; no access to his daughter because the mother is being a cow and keeping him away out of spite. But he himself grew up with no access to his own dad either, but he made the effort as an adult to seek him out and make a relationship with him. I hope to same for you, truly. Heart goes out to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

budgese wrote: »
    ronanc15 wrote: »

My ex who is still a great friend is in the same boat; no access to his daughter because the mother is being a cow and keeping him away out of spite. But he himself grew up with no access to his own dad either, but he made the effort as an adult to seek him out and make a relationship with him. I hope to same for you, truly. Heart goes out to you.

Thanks Budgese, really appreciate the kind words.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Toothpaste89

My Dads in Poland at the moment at the Euros so I texted him at 11.30pm wishing him a happy fathers day tomorrow and he told me I am the best daughter ever. :D And because hes over there the text will do! No getting up early to make brekkie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Congrats Star, what you call the little princes.

Happy fathers day to all the dads out there. I will be visiting my da's grave with some flowers but I have plenty of happy memories.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

First time in 9 years I'll get to spend fathers day with my son due to the undeniable fact that his mother kept him away and is a complete kunt.

Will we notice the occasion, I dont know but a happy fathers day be nice. Either way we'll have a good day shopping movie etc and then back to my old man who will be as happy as pig in **** looking at us and thinking I'm responsible for all this. Either that or he'll thinking god I wish I kept it in my pants!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I'm a Da, thanks, my kids are bringing me to the Rovers v Malmo game in tallaght,, I might get a hot dog too:pac:

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 18 harryoharra

To everyone who posted positive msgs for your dads, you are the lucky ones and I hope you get loads more great memories with him.

My da on the other hand is a drunken, selfish prick!

I hope I can help make my baby daughter safe and happy. And in years to come she'll be proud to have me as her dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

a couple of posts there got to me, i dont remember cutting onions up but i must have cos me eyes filled!!! i love me dad to bits, and hopefully have a few jars with him tomorrow (sunday) dads are the coolest dudes on the planet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

To everyone who posted positive msgs for your dads, you are the lucky ones and I hope you get loads more great memories with him.

My da on the other hand is a drunken, selfish prick!

I hope I can help make my baby daughter safe and happy. And in years to come she'll be proud to have me as her dad.

So you're a Da,,, happy fathers Day

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Happy fathers day to my beloved dad who is amazing even at 82!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

Happy father's day to my daddy, who is possibly the best dad in the world and who I'm incredibly grateful for. I have very little contact with my mother, due to her being an eegit basically, and the relationship I have with my dad more than makes up for it. Three cheers for the dads! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The only good thing about not having my Dad around anymore is I get to wake up on Fathers Day and not feel guilty about forgetting to send him a card. ;)

Just got my cards from my kids. One thanking me for playing football with him, the other thanking me for picking up the dog poo!

Their mum is downstairs making me Breakfast Pizza. Simply the best...... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

. One thanking me for playing football with him, the other thanking me for picking up the dog poo!

I love their different priorities!!! Enjoy your pizza breakfast whatever the hell that is!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Love you Dad. It may not always seem that I appreciate all you do.......but I do! You are a great power and strength that I can always rely on. Thank You,XX

Is your Dad on the boards or something? How is he going to see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

My son's dad is so cool. He is the best person I have had the pleasure to meet. Good looking, charming, humorous, generous and modest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Love you Dad, enjoy the pants and socks. I know, cliche, but my Mam insisted I get them for him because he won't buy them for himself.

I'd literally be lost without my Dad, he teaches me how to do grown up things like pay car tax, haggle and apply for grants. When I'm in trouble he sorts it out and when we go out for lunch he won't let me pay :cool:

We watch football together and he doesn't get annoyed when I ask him questions and we laugh at all the players together.

He notices when I get something new and he compliments me. When we were little he used to work nights so he could be around during the day to bring us on trips and drives in the mountains. Since then he can function on 4 hours sleep. He's a superhero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I've told this story here before but I think it's worth repeating. When I was a child my mother used to say to my brother and sisters "stop saying bad language" if she heard them swearing. I started copying her and saying it too. One day I said it to my father and he said "will you ever fuck off".

I didn't always get on with him when I got older but he was always there when I really needed him. One day I came home crying after being bullied in school. He heard me crying in my bedroom and came up and gave me a hug. He said he would give me a lift to and from school every day, and he did. There were other things he did that I didn't appreciate at the time but I now realise he was trying his best.

He did shout at me sometimes for playing loud music or for getting in trouble. He never once raised his hand to me though.

Speaking of loud music, I was once playing a Public Enemy tape full blast. Next thing I knew my father came storming in to my room. I hadn't realised it but I had left the window open and a load of teenagers were trying to get in because they thought there was a party. My father wasn't too amused.

He died a few days after New Years Day 2000 and I still miss him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

AnnaSophia wrote: »
    Happy father's day to my daddy, who is possibly the best dad in the world and who I'm incredibly grateful for. I have very little contact with my mother, due to her being an eegit basically, and the relationship I have with my dad more than makes up for it. Three cheers for the dads! :)

OK, I did'nt know I had a daughter in Meath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Surprised at the lack of puns in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

aujopimur wrote: »

OK, I did'nt know I had a daughter in Meath.

...Daddy?

Advertisement