Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Own up! Who here has stolen a rented home?

• 17-06-2012 12:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

From this morning's Sunday Times (England edition - Irish section):

50,000 rented homes go ‘missing’
    New figures from last year’s census suggest more than 50,000 rental properties have not been registered with the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB).

While the census report shows there are almost 314,675 people renting their residences, the total number recorded with the PRTB (Private Residential Tenancies Board) at the end of last year was just 260,144.

Given that some might be due to people leaving them and the landlord not reporting it (I'm assuming), would I be fair in thinking that still a few landlords are trying to dodge paying their contribution to the state?

..That or someone is stealing rented homes! Ok, own up ...who did it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

*runs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I call squatters rights!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I call squatters rights!

Go climb a mountain would ya! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I call squatters rights!

I think that takes 12 years..:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

Christ! They're on to me! *legs it*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

galwayrush wrote: »

So does climbing a mountain if you're not in a hurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

AH answer

I didn't bleedin take them,are you accusing me?

Real answer

Certain dwellings are exempt from registration

A dwelling let by or to a public authority or voluntary housing body
    A dwelling occupied under a shared ownership lease
    A holiday let
    A dwelling in which the landlord is also resident
    A dwelling in which the spouse, parent or child of the landlord is resident and there is no written lease or tenancy agreement
    A dwelling that is occupied rent free

As dwellings let to or by a public authority or voluntary housing body are exempt from registering that may also be the reason for the missing homes.

Biggins wrote: »
    Go climb a mountain would ya! :p

I've already climbed all of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I'm kinda surprised its not more tbh, the whole business is rife with not so cute "hoors", and they don't pay tax on their earnings either. Its a toss up as to whether the landlord politicos don't want their own little indiscretions under the spotlight and not having a large section of landlords pull out of the business entirely, there was a big rental shortage not so long ag if I recall correctly.

Ronin247 wrote: »
    ...As dwellings let to or by a public authority or voluntary housing body are exempt from registering that may also be the reason for the missing homes.

This list with 50,000 gone missing, is for Private Residential homes that are rented out (that also has previously been recorded and met the listed conditions for being on the same list) - not public authority or voluntary housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

This list with 50,000 gone missing, is for Private Residential homes that are rented out (that also has previously been recorded and met the listed conditions for being on the same list) - not public authority or voluntary housing.

So they wouldn't fall within the boundaries of what Ronin247 was suggesting, no?

I've already climbed all of them

Your Julie Andrews - admit it! :D

Your Julie Andrews - admit it! :D

tumblr_m4ihn9IXHL1qgm9st.gif

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    So they wouldn't fall within the boundaries of what Ronin247 was suggesting, no?

The list of which 50,000 is gone 'missing' is for private properties owned by profit seeking landlords.
    Not state or charity homes etc.

The Times report also mentions the following:
    So far this year the PRTB has issued general-information notices to more than 16,000 landlords reminding them of the requirement to register tenancies.

This is in addition to more than 800 formal notices of intention to prosecute where they believe tenancies are in existence but are not registered.

from the 2011 census

Question H3 – Does your household own or rent you accommodation?

there is no cross check as to who the landlord is.Even someone in a council house would be part of the census 314,675 figure?

galwayrush wrote: »

Perfect, leave bankruptcy and become a homeowner on the same day.

from the 2011 census

Question H3 – Does your household own or rent you accommodation?

there is no cross check as to who the landlord is.Even someone in a council house would be part of the census 314,675 figure?

The legal list that is required by private renting landlord to be accounted for on via the PRTB, has nothing to do with the national census.
    Those numbers DO additionally account also for state housing and charity accommodation.

The PRTB national register is for private renting of homes by private landlords. :)
    Again, its now a legal requirement by such landlords alone, to be listed upon it for tax and other reasons such as resolving disputes between private landlords and private tenants.

I stand corrected,the Census did actually ask who are you renting from

The census results show from a total of 449,000 renting, there are 305,000 renting from private landlords not 314,000 so I have found 9000 of them for you,carry on looking for the other 41,000 I am off to bed.

You should stick to a real newspaper like the "Sunday World" not that "Times" rag.

You should stick to a real newspaper like the "Sunday World" not that "Times" rag.

:pac: ;)

Advertisement