Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking About Going to Oz!

Options
  • 17-06-2012 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in a really great job, the first which I've really loved going into every day, even though I can get stressed. It's in the Online Industry, which is a secure industry to be in. It's a secure job with good pay. I have debts which need to be paid off, but I feel I could pay them off within a year. I can sell the car which would cover flights and expenses.

My mother currently lives in Newcastle NSW with her partner, and has been granted residency, and she doesn't intend to come home any time soon. I went over there for a month at Christmas and just fell in love with the place. I met my cousins-in-law (ish, who are Australian, my mother's partner has relatives there), and they are my age, and I get on great with them. I loved everything about the place (although the heat was hard to adjust to!)

I miss my mother terribly and could really get used to the Australian way of life. The only thing I worry about is the expense (ie the cost of living vs what I would make), and leaving a great job here. Would I be a total fool to do this? I wouldn't go for about a year, to give me a chance to save and get my loans paid off. I think that the industry I'm in would give me a great chance to get a job over there, and I'm looking into trying to get a skilled migrant visa, as I don't know how likely I would be to get a job in my industry on a working holiday visa. But I think my skills qualify me for a migrant visa. And I'd be rent free as my mother owns her house over there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I have been known to make impulsive decisions in the past, but have never really regretted them!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

sounds like a plan to me, and with your mother there it would make it even easier to settle in, you could probably stay with her for a few weeks/months until you got yourself properly sorted. i was just reading markfdrums thread and he certainly has no regrets, was in a similar situation to you with a good secure job and questioned whether or not to leave it.
    don't worry about the heat after a year or two you get kinda used to it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Thanks for the reply! I actually started emailing companies in the same line of work as my industry here, and I already had a response from one company, who said that they'd like me to keep them posted on my movements, and to get in touch when I get to Oz as they'd love to meet me, which is a positive step! I suppose I'd be a bit worried that I wouldn't find a job and would have to come home to no job in Ireland then.. I'm a worrier :o

Advertisement