Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a test

• 17-06-2012 2:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hello

I just want to say I'm sorry for the recent posting on this matter but because the CAO closing date is approaching fast I'm panicking a bit.

Last week I asked with regards to Physics and Chemistry if it was important to have studied it for Leaving Cert to get into a decent Physics course. Having looked around it seems it is. So having not chosen to follow a Physics career until after the subjects I chose and the time to change was long gone, it seems I'm stuck here. Now what I want to know is if it's possible to sit one test whilst keeping the rest of your Leaving Cert results? Also, can I go to college for a year and see how I get on with Physics?

Thanks. Alot. Honestly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Steodonn

Yes you can repeat next year doing just physics if you want

Have you looked at general science courses that would let you go into physics after a year ? Sounds better than doing another LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I personally think you're better off going into a general science>physics route. You'll get more experience with 3rd level science and it's good to go into a course fresh from your first set of exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I didnt do any science subjects for my leaving cert but I'm just posting because I could swear I read somewhere (probably here) that if you do science in college, they start with physics from scratch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

yeah they do start from scratch, but NUIG give you the choice of 2 lecture halls, one for people who have done it before and one for those who havent. its the same course they cover and same exam at the end just one goes through it slower than the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Surely you could pick up a Leaving Cert Physics book somewhere and take a look at it now and then over the summer, just to assure yourself you won't be at a disadvantage when you start the course. And if your course splits the classes into those who've studied it before and those who haven't, then I'd imagine you'd have no trouble!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭CFC4lyfe

The NUIG sounds perfect but I don't do any science subject at all. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

CFC4lyfe wrote: »
    The NUIG sounds perfect but I don't do any science subject at all. :(

Unfortunately without a science subject you are ruling out a lot of the science courses in the country, although science in IT's may not need one.

To answer your original question, yes, you can hold onto your points from this year and sit a Leaving Cert science next year to fulfill the requirements.

Yes I know. The reason I didnt choose one is because I'm not too keen on Biology and the teaching at our school almost put me off Physics so I didnt want to have a negative view on it. Also, I'd be more confident of getting more points with Stair/History.

There are a couple of courses there in IT's GMIT and DIT most notably that have courses.

I'm guessing its not an option to go to college whilst only sitting in for one test no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Hello

I just want to say I'm sorry for the recent posting on this matter but because the CAO closing date is approaching fast I'm panicking a bit.

Last week I asked with regards to Physics and Chemistry if it was important to have studied it for Leaving Cert to get into a decent Physics course. Having looked around it seems it is. So having not chosen to follow a Physics career until after the subjects I chose and the time to change was long gone, it seems I'm stuck here. Now what I want to know is if it's possible to sit one test whilst keeping the rest of your Leaving Cert results? Also, can I go to college for a year and see how I get on with Physics?

Thanks. Alot. Honestly.

I know that UCD has beginner modules for people who have not done Physics, Chemistry, Biology or higher maths. Particularly for the general science course - they even say "You are excluded from this introductory module if you got over blah blah in your Leaving Cert". :) Know a med student who had to take a beginner module in Physics because he didn't study it at LC.

I know that UCD has beginner modules for people who have not done Physics, Chemistry, Biology or higher maths. Particularly for the general science course - they even say "You are excluded from this introductory module if you got over blah blah in your Leaving Cert". :) Know a med student who had to take a beginner module in Physics because he didn't study it at LC.

Mind linking me to as I can't see it anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I'm guessing its not an option to go to college whilst only sitting in for one test no?

Do you mean starting off a science course while sitting a science subject for the LC? Well you'd still be coming up against the problem of not being able to get into some courses in the first place (it would be irrelevant to the CAO that you would be sitting the LC subject the following year).

Also, if you start a course, and then decide to start a different one the following year, you'll have "used up" your free fees for first year, so you'd have to pay fees which could be anything from €4000 upwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Mind linking me to as I can't see it anywhere?

For example

In particular note the "Am I eligible to take this module" section

Edit: Hmm... that link might not be working - try opening it in a new tab! If it doesn't, below should be a working link to the Omnibus Science stuff, look at the modules with "Introduction" in the title

Omnibus Science

I appreciate that but points look a bit steep. Do you feel as if it'd be the same with NUIG as UCD themselves state on the cover page that a science subject is required for the course?

Advertisement