Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Posts on Touch getting truncated

Options
  • 17-06-2012 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

Recently I seem to be seeing posts truncated on the touch.boards site. I am using Android ICS on a Samsung Galaxy S2.

attached is a picture showing what is happening. You can see the first post gets cut and the post below quoting the original content.

hopefully this is helpful!?

209222.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Using a Galaxy Mini myself and this isn't happening for me... out of curiosity, does it happen on posts that AREN'T quoted (ie it could be some way of keeping it lightweight) or is it on anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

nope it's on all posts. I only picked one that was quoted as it shows the truncation! very annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

I just came in to see what truncated meant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Thanks for the report. Can I ask are you using the default browser on the S2?

Testing here on a Galaxy S running ICS and everything is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Hi Paddy, I get this on the iPhone too. But only on some quoted replies.

• Advertisement

It is mainly on quoted posts but also others - see new attached images. First post is quoted but 2nd post is not. 2nd image shows quoted posts are ok - this is on the 2nd page of the thread but maybe it's because it's a double quote!? :pac: I am using the stock browser on ICS

209317.png

209318.png

Looks like screen 1 is truncated because there is nothing to force break the URL to spill onto a new line.

smash wrote: »
    Looks like screen 1 is truncated because there is nothing to force break the URL to spill onto a new line.

In screenshot 1 the first 2 posts are cut after one line!

Sorry, I only noticed it in the quoted reply

Can I ask do you consistently get the problem on this thread, or is it intermittent?

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056670003

• Advertisement

Can I ask do you consistently get the problem on this thread, or is it intermittent?

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056670003

consistently.

Paddy, I think I actually see the problem. When I reduce chrome to the width of a mobile device here, the text does get cut off and a horizontal scrollbar is added. In the mobile site is there a chance that horizontal scrolling is disabled?

edit:

here you go
    .post, #about_user {
    padding: 15px 15px 7px;
    [B]overflow: hidden;[/B]
    height: 1%;
    }

Paddy, I think I actually see the problem. When I reduce chrome to the width of a mobile device here, the text does get cut off and a horizontal scrollbar is added. In the mobile site is there a chance that horizontal scrolling is disabled?

but surely the whole point is no horizontal scrolling on touch.boards :confused:

00sully wrote: »
    but surely the whole point is no horizontal scrolling on touch.boards :confused:
    yea I know that.

If I add width: 95%; to .mail-post fieldset, .post fieldset then it works, but links are still overflowing because they're not wrapping correctly. On a mobile device layout, you should just truncate the displayed link text and it should be ok.

edit:

here you go
    .post, #about_user {
    padding: 15px 15px 7px;
    [B]overflow: hidden;[/B]
    height: 1%;
    }

I've been looking at that block as a prime suspect too.

I'm not able to reproduce the bug by resizing chrome, what version and OS are you on?

I've been looking at that block as a prime suspect too.

I'm not able to reproduce the bug by resizing chrome, what version and OS are you on?

Windows 7. Chrome version 19.0.1084.56 m

chrome_1.jpg

Ah OK, you're talking about that bug.... I've added in that width:95% on the quote fieldset. That seems to have tidied it up to some degree. I'll have to update the BBCode parser on touch to truncate links > n characters too. I roll that out later.

I've also removed the display:hidden, height:1% (that's an ancient IE6 hack don't know why it was ever in there) I suspect that might fix the OP's bug, although without being able to replicate it's hard to be sure.

Yep that did it thanks :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement